Post match: Liverpool v Chelsea (EPL 21/1/23 12.30pm)

The all-purpose post. Works on almost any forum.

What I wouldnā€™t give for Diogo and Luis as options off the bench right about nowā€¦

6 Likes

We had a 15 min spell at the start of the second half where we looked like ourselves.

Crisp passing, pressure on the opposition, good movementā€¦then we just gave up on it and let Chelsea slow it down.

The whole fucking squad bar a few look like theyā€™ve given up on football.

1 Like

positives clean sheet, Kieta getting minutes and showing some glimpses of class linking play and couple of great final 3rd passes. bajectec definitely one that can we can build around and since this season is going down the drain i would keep playing.
Gomez getting game time and hopefully will get his confidence back because its massively lacking.
The bad elliot is not midfielder and he is a liability there max he can rest salah in the last in some matches but not starter . we bought a right back from aberdeen and he cant get a minute why the f you buy him??? carvello why the f did u buy him he is never a klopp player or formation i would get it if we play 4231 and he is playing behind the striker but what the f sake u need him when u only play 433.
finally Klopp . i love klopp but insisting to play 433 when you dont have the personal doesnt make sense and when ur team is so open on the counter .
until diaz jota come back it will stay like this and even when they back our midfield remains a huge problem and one midfielder in the summer is not gonna solve it
the hope the we are bought soon otherwise just more painful games

1 Like

Clean sheet,no injuries. Chelsea better 1st half,Liverpool better 2nd half.

1 Like

Iā€™m not too bothered with Elliott up top but the move should have been for CM to come on for Elliott and if Naby had to rest for Nunez. Just to keep it remotely a midfield.

Once you removed Naby it went to pot a bit but I donā€™t think it would have been as bad if you went like for like.

1 Like

Not great obviously. Thought the midfield was pretty good todayā€¦Bajcetic is some player. Canā€™t understand all those subs except for Nunezā€¦we lost any balance after that. Salah is awful at the moment. Like he canā€™t do anything. Heā€™s been the most frustrating player for us for some time. He may need some time on the bench.

1 Like

We never gave up that. Itā€™s the officating style that allowed Chelsea to regroup by time wasting, and giving them a breather. In those 15 minutes, Chelsea were struggling, and we kept going at them. No time for them to breath.

So they did what Real Madrid did to us in the final. Time waste etc. Oliver pointing to his watch like an idiot just gives them carte blanche to continue. Killed our flow and that high intensity play cannot be done as it turned into a stop start game.

The frustration from Klopp and the players at the end was not the individual wrong throw in etc decions, but the culmination of Oliverā€™s officiating throughout the game.

Again, we were still crap overall, and the ref is not all to blame, but is part of the story.

3 Likes

I think Klopp has admitted to himself that this season we are losing top 4 and can at best get Europa League (which heā€™ll try to set right by winning next year).
It seems the plan is to rebuild in the summer, hopefully with two top class midfielders (hopefully one of them Bellingham). And by having a better preseason and a proper physio team get a full team healthy next season, rediscover our identity and with the new additions and Nunez-Gakpo on their second season (both will be much better in my opinion, and for Nunez Iā€™m pretty sure at least), compete for the league.
I would be fine if it works out that way to be honest. Hoping this is more like the season after we won the league, than an end of a great period under Klopp.

As for this seasonā€™s Champions league, itā€™s a different competition where our form was somehow different there, not sure how this can beā€¦and being a knock out competition, Klopp will take his chances and try for the one off performance every time. If we somehow knock Real out, anything will be possible (personally donā€™t see it right now, actually dreading this, but who knows).

The sad thing is that City, for all their juggernaut addition of Haaland, are there for the taking this season, if only we could have mustered last seasonā€™s formā€¦such bad timing from us, play our best last season, and drop off when we could have strolled the leagueā€¦

Not sure why we lined up with the front three in those positions. Gakpo clearly isnā€™t a striker and Elliot looked lost on the left. Would have thought it would have been more sensible to use Salah in the middle, but meh, the performance was so disjointed it likely would have ended in a stalemate regardless. At least we got another clean sheet.

1 Like

Mo has been very disappointing for a long time now.

2 Likes

Showed some promise of returning to his good form in December, only to spectacularly drop form in January againā€¦

Also- ā€˜shiteā€™

Elliot is such a talent, if we can only find the right position for him to play, especially in our very unique systemā€¦just canā€™t think of a position that looks ideal for him atm, even though itā€™s ear he has bags of talent and good work rateā€¦probably needs a lot of work in the training field still, and hopefully it will come (time on his side there).

What is he then? Heā€™s doesnā€™t look a wide player. Looked better there than he has on the left.

Thought the subs were fine. Iā€™d have had Elliot off earlier, but few complaints otherwise. They werenā€™t the reason we didnā€™t win the game.

I thought only complaint regarding subs was that they didnā€™t come soon enough. Bajcetic and Elliott were clearly knackered, and we got hold of the game again as soon as fab hendo and jones came on.

1 Like

I caught the last 20 minutes of this and read through the pre-match thread to catch up. Sounds like we were crap in the first half?

I think Iā€™d take the clean sheet as a positive. We are clearly not firing on all cylinders but I definitely saw more fight in the bits I saw - pressing at the front and at least creating some chances.

Next match is Brighton in the cup isnā€™t it? Thatā€™s a good weeks worth on the training pitch.

2 Likes

a 4 231 he can play in the middle of the 3 behind the striker , he is not good enough up wide and dreadful midfielder, having said so there would be many better players in this position

Well saidā€¦this has been a issue for a while and the problem stems from the fact tgat there is no one in that midfield bar Thiago who can create a defence splitting pass or pass between the lines.

At least we didnā€™t concede first.