Post match: Liverpool v Chelsea (EPL 21/1/23 12.30pm)

The moment Elliott dropped to the midfield, we lost any semblance of control. We need a RCM that can play 90 minutes consistently.

6 Likes

That is one area which definitely needa a bit of improvement from boss this season. To be able to best use the hand he is dealt with and use formations and style of play which suits your players.

But, the benefit of doubt ee can give him is that…this season no matter whatever team or formation we try…we see a shit performance in the next game and it’s back to square one.

Exactly how I saw it, we were comfortable all 2nd half and Chelsea couldn’t get out until the late subs…almost even lost it late but not for a last ditch tackle by Robbo.

Just left the boring nbc Universal fan fest
The game plan was just about as good as this PL event
At least the treble is still on

Gave it to Curtis. In another season, a draw against Chelsea is an achievement. This year it’s consistent with our performances.

2 Likes

love LOVE how south american players exchange pleasantries after the game, hug and kiss on the head… like meeting up with a long lost friend…

ps… oh yes the game was shit jus as i said right at the beginning of the game

1 Like

It’s all Sadio’s fault :pleading_face:

Not that you could ever be mad with him :joy:

1 Like

Brighton even set to gain a gap from us now, they’re up 1-0, with Mitoma doing what our lads couldn’t…:pensive:

1-1 TSSS. Trust in Rodgers.

It felt like a mid table clash - skill, effort, willingness to win - everything.

I feel that we are confused between playing the pressing game and controlling it through possession and trying to turn the screw. We press and are caught on the break and when we have possession we are ineffective. We had no clear chances that I can remember. Salah was there and not much else. Gakpo was there. Thiago was good but ultimately out of sync with the others. Elliot played in a completely different position.

Dysfunctional - if I had to sum it up.

mitoma , caciedo , bowen and bellingham and someone needs a kick in the back side for not getting bisouma

That was a bit of a pain to watch to be honest. But we keep the clean sheet which hasn’t happened in a while in a league game.
But Chelsea weren’t great and would have been there for the taking if we had been on our game.

We move on. Small steps and all that…

7 Likes

Tell me what offensive players we have to change it up ffs

Man, I don’t recognize this LFC team anymore. These are the same players that almost won the Quad, but now they’re playing like mid table team.
I just think the players that we have doesn’t fit Klopp system anymore. They’re trying to play the same way as they did for many years. Unfortunately, they don’t have the legs nor players to do the counter pressing anymore. Teams come into Anfield knowing if they beat our press, they can bypass our whole midfield and have a crack at goal.
The team feels so disjointed and lack of purpose. Everything is so scrambly and lack creativity when we try to move the ball. All our opponents have figure out for awhile now that pressing Liverpool would mean hemming us back and regaining possession instantly. Teams don’t fear our forwards anymore, because they aren’t the same threat as before. I just feel Gakpo and Darwin aren’t the right fit for Klopp system. They’re very good players, perhaps even with great potential, but they just don’t have the counter pressing ability like Mane and Bobby. The high intensity counter pressing is what made LFC so fearsome and hard to beat.
I am not gonna beat that dead horse of our midfield problem. We all know what needs to be done in that area. Klopp signed the contract extension to build a second up and coming team that he can pass on to the next manager. I think he’s committed on finishing that job, or otherwise he would’ve walked already.
I genuinely think if we can sign the right players in this summer, we’ll be back next season. However, in the mean time there will be a lot of suffering weekends.

YNWA

2 Likes

Nobody doubted his general quality. In terms of technique, he is the 2nd best midfielder in our team. In terms of dribbling using close control, he is probably the best in the squad.

However, his legs are made of soft biscuits, making it hard for us to build a side around him.

Better but coming from a pretty low point. Our passing was still woeful especially the final ball.

Team completely devoid of confidence and creativity bar Naby who played some nice balls and deserves to keep his spot.

Better effort and application for sure so
at least its a start. Would like to see a few variations in midfield involving Naby and Bajcetic in the coming games.

Midfield today is decent, did its job for most of the time. It’s just that the subs are not effective. Taking Keita out for Darwin leaves Elliott, Thiago and Bajectic in the midfield and predictably, it ceded control of the midfield to the Chavs with many close calls.

By the time the senior boys came back, it was too late and too ineffective.

1 Like

Does feel our top 4 chances rely on Nunez staying fit the rest of the season… made a huge difference.

1 Like

A couple of times, and notably on their disallowed goal, there was same passivity on balls into the box. That is a real concern and I dont get where it has come from.

1 Like

Yes set pieces we were pretty dire actually. I’d forgot about those.

2 Likes