Post match: Liverpool v Chelsea (EPL 21/1/23 12.30pm)

The tracking back Nunez did to retrieve the ball late in the game is what I feel is hugely missing as well. We don’t hunt for the ball the way we used to. Entire team seems mentally and physically tired.

3 Likes

Grim.
If Thiago wasn’t there we’d have zero creativity.

He invariably finds himself space, looks up and there’s no runner.
Hence either passing sideways or back, and today actually gave it away a few times.

Our problems are far greater than Henderson and Fabinho

2 Likes

We continue to slip down the table.Some new blood desperately needed. But that will cost.

Nobody likes spending money to replace a slipping clutch on a car they are about to sell !

1 Like

“no runner” seems to be a reoccurring theme that a fair few have pointed out now…& it’s not only when Thiago gets on the ball. Grim indeed.

We need 2 or 3 midfielders in the summer if we go through the shame of not signing one next week…and 1 of those midfielders needs to be allowed the freedom to break his neck and offer himself in support of the front 3, especially in games where it’s not quite clicking for them.

“A couple of times, and notably on their disallowed goal, there was same passivity on balls into the box. That is a real concern and I dont get where it has come from.”

Even when he isn’t playing VVD sets the defensive style for the club.
We are far too cool and sophisticated to go throwing ourselves about blocking shots and tackling. All our defending is done by positioning, jockeying, reading the game, mind control and intimidating stares.
TAA is so cool he rarely bothers to defend at all.
Maybe we should try Phillips and Konate as our centre backs for a more combative style

2 Likes

Yeah on reflection Centre back worried me the most. Gomez strolling it back to Alisson who was under pressure was comedy.

I do feel if we played the CM we played against Brighton and Trent we’d have been broken today though, it’s a major issue now.

1 Like

Cheslea had the better chances and it is a good point for us. Lokks like Klopp had enough patience with Fab and Hendo and the sat on the bench for a 2nd consecutive game.

TAA was also very disappointing with his short cameo. In a space of 5 minutes /between 80-85th minute/ he gifted the ball to Chelsea’s player while he was not under serious pressure, just trying his Hollywood long passes and gave them very good chances to hit us on the break.

Elliott had a very poor match, I really can’t explain how he stayed on the pitch for more than 80 minutes with such type of display. It is not a coincidance that we totally lost the middle of the park when Klopp substituted Keita and that meant Harvey dropped in midfield. His stats were shocking - h made just 24 accurate passes, lost possession of the ball every 3.5 touches, failed to complete 100% of his crosses and lost 50% of his duels combined, as well as making no dribble attempts, taking no shots on goal and no tackles throughout his display.

Robbo and Thiago /Klopp mentioned that even he misplaced too many passes/ made mistakes, but at least showed desire to fight. Just like Konate and Gomez, made mistakes and our defending of set pieces was not good enough, but Matip’s form is a huge cause of concern.

Bajcetic was decent, at least he is much more mobile than Hendo and Fabinho and the young lad showed desire, grit and determination. Keita - 5,5 out of ten, but still a much better option than Elliot in midfield.

We need quality midfielders!!! Klopp is doomed with these old and tired horses.

And in attack we were toothless. Salah is not at his best, but he is a fighter and a top player and he will improve. Gakpo is better in central areas. He is not and he will never be a world class player, but he can be useful for the future. Good technique, work ethic, looks a stron guy and after a period of adaptation he will be a good weapon. Remidns me of Kuyt - does not strike you as a top player, but works tirelessly, creates spaces for his teammates, good in the air and when Jota and Diaz are back it will be better for him and us.

Huge praise for Milner, what a player and he is 37 years old. Two games in a row he started at right back and we conceded zero goals and showed character and fighting spirit. TAA should watch him very carefully and learn especially in every defensive aspect. Hopefully we will see more of Ramsay too. Trent needs a strong competition to wake up.

Compliments for Alisson too, saved us when we needed him.

8 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, his first three passes went straight to Chelsea players? One of them was about a 2 yard pass. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

You’re not mistaken. Might’ve even been his first 4 passes all misplaced.

Spurned what turned out to be our best chance that 2nd half too.

2 Likes

21st January today… 21st February we play Real Madrid…!
Start knitting these players together Jurgen… COYR

1 Like

Watched it delayed. Happy to have a clean sheet and will take a point. First 30 minutes or so of 2nd half I thought we were pretty good.
Bajetic was the best player on the park for large periods for me and has displaced Fab as first choice.

The number of times we give away possession with basic passes when not under pressure is disturbing. Robbo a recidivist offender.

Our set piece defending was pants.

Despite some good periods, the game was a painful watch.

What has happened to Mo? If Klopp is going tk send a message to Hendo and Fab, the same should happen to Mo, although acknowledge its difficult to replace him with current available players. The RHS combo of Mo and Elliot just doesnt work either.

2 Likes

That was the worst match I’ve seen in a long time.

You not been watching us this season then? :grinning:

Good point. But the opposition on this occasion was equally bad!

It was a snooze fest, quite literally. I fell asleep second half.

Funny old season, we started badly, made a recovery of sorts only to have that momentum halted by the World Cup break. We’re now worse than when we started I’d say.

The selections today were telling, Hendo, Fab and Trent effectively dropped. Salah so out of form he would be in a similar boat if any of Jota, Diaz or Firmino were available.

Hopefully the club is working behind the scenes to bring in a midfielder before the end of this window. We’re obviously in need of the legs but moreover a fresh face around the place can only help.

1 Like

Trent and Henderson not fully fit. :neutral_face:

Got a point, kept a clean sheet…after the last few games you could call them baby steps or just luck.
Chelsea are not setting the world on fire this season, either.
The midfield was better in parts today,Naby hs stayed fit for a couple of gamers and was doing OK today.
Mo seems to be wandering among the pyramids,Bajetic still trying his heart out till he ran out of legs.
But overall, at his point of the season we are not where we want to be, we certainly need a midfielder at least, though the season has probably gone now.

Conceded the season was over after the humiliation we suffered at the hands of Brentford. Although many fans will still be optimistic and cling onto any last prayer of hope, you just cannot always bank on every team above you to suddenly start falling off the wagon and us to suddenly shoot our way back up…at least back in 19/20 or 20/21 season whenever it was, even with the injuries we had the team showed they were capable to achieve something…we had players still with a lot to give. This team has ran it’s course over the hill and the sooner people accept the only way through this adversity is by spending a chunk buried somewhere deep in John’s mansion, the better.

1 Like

Midfield is disjointed. Players cannot string passes together. Gakpo is isolated and gets nearly zero service.

Back line is so vulnerable on set pieces, is a shocking change from the last 5 seasons where we look so imperious.

37min, first shot on goal. Says it all

60min, sub. Keita off? Bad idea, Elliot was underwhelming on the left, could have beem a straight swap for Nunez

Far too many high-risk passes not coming off. So many giveaways

Elliot is just not good enough right now. I understand that he’s young, but he doesn’t know how to move into space to receive a pass and is so one-footed he’s relatively predictable in his ball movement. Keita plays far better. Elliott actually had a better showing at LW.

Agree with @dutch Gakpo is shite

What the fuck are we paying Salah £350k/week for? Bench him a game. Elliot at LW, Nunez leadingand Doak at RW

18yo Bajcetic our best midfielder today. Keita second only on merit that he didn’t give the ball away nearly as much as Thiago who kept ticking things at least

Getting really tired of watching Allison receive more passes from our defenders, than our midfielders. We have no vertical options up the spine, its absolutely shocking how easily Chelsea were able to play a crisp pass through two of our lines, but we have to hoof it over the top 60 times a match

1 Like

Klopp has to be careful with Naby and manage his minutes, 90 in midweek and 60 yesterday.

1 Like