Post-match: Liverpool v Fulham, 3 December 2023...4-3...NEVER IN DOUBT!

This is interesting. People tend to underestimate Fulham these days. They are a team which can create problems for any other team. We ourselves have struggled against them in recent seasons, so I’d not underestimate these three points. Yeah, we need more generally to shore up the defence, but it’s great to have been able to come back in that way, and it’s a clear indication that the mentality is right.

It’s just that we still are a bit raw with all the new players bedding in.

Remember the sounds, the smells and the feeling…its wonderful…good time had by all I would think…

5 Likes

I just noticed that the first goal was given as an own goal for Leno. Did it hit his arse on the way in? I can’t see it:

https://twitter.com/FootyTone/status/1731468630439698723

3 Likes

In off his back, I think.

Rubbish.

4 Likes

It was clear from the slow-mo they showed on MOTD2 last night.

3 Likes

So was it bouncing out before it hit him? I can’t tell from that clip I posted as it was only three frames from reaching the goal to bouncing in the net.

1 Like

It’s hit the bar and come down as though it was going to land on the line, at best, but has hit Leno’s back and gone in. There’s only the one angle, on the goal line, from which you can see the deflection; from all other angles, it looks as though it has gone straight in.

1 Like

One of those pedantic and pointless own goal determinations - Leno can hardly do otherwise to try to save the goal, it certainly isn’t an error. Just bad luck on his part, and possibly irrelevant given the way the ball is spinning coming down off the crossbar. It might have bounced out or in.

6 Likes

Pedantic you say?

I can’t help but feel we’re equipped to discuss.

1 Like

So the one that came off Kelleher’s leg yesterday was an og, but on the bbc website it doesn’t show that…one rule for one team…another rule for tuthers…

I don’t think that one was ruled an OG, because it was deemed to be going in anyway. In the TAA/Leno one, they judged the ball to be bouncing off the crossbar and out before it contacted Leno.

2 Likes

It depends on the direction of the ball. Take Leno away and it would not have gone in. The ball was travelling away from the goal. Take Kelleher away and the ball would have gone in.

My little cousin had his first Anfield experience yesterday - what a cracker for your first one.

5 Likes

Were you trying to upload from mobile? If so, try using a laptop/PC.

Ah yes I am using mobile. Will do now thanks!

1 Like

12 Likes

It’s funny that I was talking to someone only two weeks ago about being surprised at how few goals Trent has scored for someone with that many appearances and as a player who strikers the ball so well. I pointed it was just a case of getting him into the right positions. Since then 2 goals from open play both from the edge of the box in positions he almost certainly wouldn’t be in if he was playing as an orthodox RB, or (less certainly) if Dom was on the pitch.

3 Likes

I don’t know if this part of the conversation is specifically talking about the supposed defensive weakness with Trent inverting, but if not it is never too far away so it’s worth pointing out that of their 3 goals, only their first goal can you remotely associate with the shape of the inverted FB (and even that one is debatable).

Their second was from a set piece, which we have to put down to defenders in decent positions to defend just not doing their jobs rather than problems with the shape.

Their third was a situation in which we had a very orthodox flat back 4 shape in defending the initial attack down the right and, again, just utterly failing to deal with it. Once the ball came over from the right a midfield runner came into the box and was not tracked great by Trent, but he had a lot of ground to make up, but who definitely should have been slowed down by Konate and was not. He then dinked in a ball to the back post that was won by a little shrimp of a man getting in between our colossus of a CB and a LB.

2 Likes

Feel like a lot of conversation about our defense and MacAllister failing as a 6 is a little overblown after that match.

Sure, it wasn’t good, particularly the third goal in which Gomez, Konate and Tsimikas were all WAY too casual. But it’s important to remember we have the joint second (with Newcastle) best defensive record in the league right now. Also, two goals yesterday would easily have been saved not just by Alisson but on most days by Kelleher as well. Things happen, games get weird, and walking out with 3 pts after a bad day by the back line is awesome.

This might be a weird take, but boots sometimes make a difference. (I still daydream about a particular pair of preds I had that I scored double the goals per game in!) Maybe it’s all mental, but Trent scoring 3 in two games in those new Adidas boots will have him believing he’ll score double digits this season, and I wouldn’t put it past him.

My only worry right now is Alisson, and how long he’ll be out. Otherwise this team is fucking boss and will push for the title right to the end.

3 Likes

5 Likes