Post Match: Liverpool v Leeds Utd (EPL 12/9/2020 5.30pm

I’d also say Everton are going to do well, because you can historically rely on that crowd to utter destroy the team they ‘love’.

2 Likes

Lack of a crowd works both ways. In theory when there are no external influences the better team will usually win and we are the better team in almost every game we play.
With Klopp though you need the full package to get the top performances and the crowd is a huge part of that. It’s why he went on about it so much when he came. He needs the togetherness off the pitch and on it. Completely agree with what McAteer said. Games do seem like training games without crowds there. There is no edge to them and mistakes are being made because of a lack of focus. VVD has made more mistakes since restart than in the previous 2 years he’s played for us. Alisson has barely saved a shot. Yes, same for everybody but playing football in a totally sterile atmosphere is about as far away from the Klopp ideal as you can get and it is obviously affecting us.

6 Likes

Sorry but this reads as though Klopp needs to do this, Anfield has always been a place of noise, and Jürgen Klopp is weaponised by Anfield not the other way around imo

Yes Stone and Keane are two players like that

When Klopp took over the atmosphere was piss poor. People were on the players back. Half the ground was getting off on 80 minutes. You could hear a pin drop at times. Klopp spent more time in his first year shouting and waving his arms at the supporters than he did his players.

Anfield is historically a formidable atmosphere, but it had lost its way in 2015.

8 Likes

I suppose that’s one way to keep yourself entertained if the football is less than sparkling.

4 Likes

I get what folks here are saying about the lack of crowds impacting us more than other teams. I can’t help but agree with most of what’s being said here. That being said, we’ve had our backs to the wall a few times in the past and turned out fine. We’ve got a lot to defend and a lot to prove this year, and hopefully this helps to give our guys the little shove in the back they may need. I’m still optimistic for this season, and maybe our opponents are just waiting for us to second-guess ourselves a little bit this year. I’m not going to give that to them. It’s our title until someone else wrests it from our hands. YNWA!

2 Likes

i can get onboard with the fact that the noise around the stadium has a positive effect on us, and i can very much agree that Klopp utilises it to his advantage (rightly so)

saying it affects us more than other clubs i think has merit…but by god it makes us sound like elitist wankers…i shy away from mentioning it, id be put out if the club touched the point with a barge pole in any official capacity…

‘we are at a disadvantage because our superior supporters cannot be utilised’

to me its not so much what the crowd brings to the game…we know thats a lot, its assuming the extra over it brings to our lads compared to our rivals is that much more enhanced that it translate to actual points…

even if true, probably best left unsaid.

3 Likes

Passionate supporters are a bit of a double-edged sword to be fair. The pressure they generate can easily turn itself against their own team. Under a manager like Rodgers for instance, I’m not sure that it would be that much of a disadvantage for us to play in front of empty stands.

But with Klopp, the ‘holy trinity’ isn’t a vain word, he has clearly harnessed the fans as a weapon. That weapon is now lacking for a time, and we’ll be short of it until the fans can come back and push the team again.

I don’t think that it is being arrogant to state this, @redbj, it’s just a fact.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Knowing his ability and standards I think he would have been very disappointed not to at least have got a hand to their first goal. Hopefully he shakes off the ring rust and our defence resembles the fortress of old.

1 Like

Klopp has said that the players did feed off the crowd previously but he has also identified that they must change to adapt to not having it there. So he fully knows its a problem he needs to sort.

2 Likes

Something at the back of my mind saying that Liverpool “b-team” played earlier somewhere (maybe someone already posted it?) This is the article I read this morning mentioning a friendly for the players whom did not play against Leeds.

(Edit: Adding a TIA link. Yay!)

4 Likes

Yeah it does seem that Jurgen is using alot of these behind the door friendlies to assess the fringe players. Even karius got on the bench apparently as well as Harry Wilson and Rhian.

In another view it’s interesting that taki right now is gaining in form. We got Chelsea, the carabao Cup and arsenal. Hopefully we. Can see him play in some capacity in those games

I just went through the pre-match thread. Looks like we’ve picked up a few doozies in the migration. Nobody wants an echo chamber but ffs, some of the shyte spouted out aloud was incredible.

@ISMF1 where is the Chelski thread?

2 Likes

I have started the thread, although I am not the best for starting them.

When ever I do we have a high scoring narrow win :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

Thirty eight of them will do me😀

2 Likes

That will do for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Didn’t you open the second leg Barca one?

1 Like

Match threads are like the Mos Eisley cantina…a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

3 Likes