Post Match: Liverpool v Leeds Utd (EPL 12/9/2020 5.30pm

Somewhere along the way, football has been hijacked by the need to seek perfection. To prove how knowledgeable about the game you are, you need to dissect every negative. The end result is not even stopping to enjoy the moments that really make football what it is…

I understand his point 100% though, once the dust settles, Klopp will have a fair bit to say about some aspects of that game, a lot of improvement required in certain areas.

21 Likes

So true. God knows what the modem fan would have made of Istanbul.

3 Likes

I tried to let u know, but the thread stuttered and then kicked me out.

We were diabolical at both ends of the pitch. You could have tagged today’s game onto the end of last season after the restart and it would have fit like a glove.
We are back to Mignolet days where every shot the opposition has ends up in the back of the net. Quite the opposite at the other end where we strive to score the perfect goal and fluff our lines time and again. 4 goals, all from set-pieces, chances in open play going begging. Leeds gifted us several chances at 3-2 to wrap the game up and we blew them all by over-playing. They reminded me of Hoffenheim a few years back, trying to play out from the back but incapable of doing so.
I thought Bobby was shocking and if there was decent competition on the bench he’d be first out the team. He really needs a good kick up the arse, don’t know if it’s fatigue due to number of games and lack of rest over the last few years but he’s becoming a passenger. Luckily Salah had one of his best ever games for us and was superb throughout and Mane was brilliant too apart from his finishing.
Don’t think Allison could have done much with the goals, he was left horribly exposed by poor defending.
Positives were Mo, Naby and Mane plus Hendo getting a good hour in.
The break leading up to the Chelsea game is welcome, there’s plenty for JK to work on at both ends of the pitch.
I wont apologise for the negativity, I thought we were turd.

5 Likes

Wait, Leeds have got a player called Robin Cock?

Robin Koch.
Leeds also has a player named Mateusz Klich.

The main thing is we got off to a win. Three points. Good.

Mo looked very sharp indeed, and some of the interplay between the front three was excellent. Our defending was a little lackadaisical at times, and I’m sure Klopp will be into them and they will work on the training pitch to improve.

Curtis Jones looked bright when he was introduced and he looks like he has a good future ahead of him.

Final comment goes to Leeds. Big club and I’m glad they are back in the Prem. Bielsa is, in some ways, sort of like a South American Klopp. Leeds got into us, in a fair way, and carved out a few chances. OK we helped them, but based on first impressions they will have no problem staying up this season, and may even finish comfortably mid table. If they keep that up they will collect a few scalps along the way.

But three points for the mighty reds. Onwards and upwards.

6 Likes

A piece of piss.

On to the next shower of shite.

8 Likes

Sloppy is the word, the 3rd was sweetly struck but I think the Henderson sub disrupted it, I can see why he did it at that point but it was a throw back to early times in which all our throws went straight to them.

The 2nd was a silly mistake mind you we should have made it 4 or 5-2 before they scored the equaliser, it reminded me a bit of Norwich, just Leeds scored and Norwich didn’t.

The game between Fabinho coming on and Hendo going off was the quietest of the entire game, we got out of jail however it was good to see Salah back to something his old self.

1 Like

…and that my friends is what a proper football match looks like - pure entertainment and fun. Leeds has brought 16 years of CL style experience into the PL, and along with the only must watch team in the PL gave all the neutrals a cracking match.

We scraped the win, got 3 points, and move on. But hell, that was a shaker from us!

5 Likes

Great season opener with 2 positive attacking teams. A bit of a shaky start defensively very poor from Trent and Joe for their goal and VVD for their 2nd. But we had some great opportunities to score and should have. Gini had 2 great chances Bobby a couple and Sadio also didn’t bring his shooting boots.

Mo was back to his sharpest today and great to see, I have been quite critical of his buildup play lately and his all round game was much better.

Defensively we sometimes need to be aware of the runner and especially the one from midfield, their 3rd goal was a prime example Klich ran off the back of Gini and Then Curtis just stood and watched him rather than track him. This isn’t the 1st time this has happened to us and is something the coaching team needs to aware of and work on.

3 Likes

Yeah I doubt anyone is going to say that was a great performance but to say “how can any Liverpool be happy” after winning a game just screams entitlement. I thought the game was great, yeah of course we can play better, but it was a fun game of football that we won late on. How can anyone not be happy with that?

16 Likes

Well that was fucking fun. I’ll take that all day. Leeds were really good and punished us every time we made a mistake which is what good teams do. I’ve seen us make mistakes like that and still get a clean sheet in the last couple of seasons but today we were punished. But on the attacking front, my word we were good. Scored 4, could have been 9 or 10.

I thought the front 3 and midfield all played well. It was hard to control midfield when Phillips just kept bypassing our midfield with passes behind the defense from deep. Bobby could have done better putting pressure on him, he did in the first 10 minutes but stopped after that. I thought Gomez and Trent were both awful tonight. Virgil wasn’t much better but was at least dangerous in the attacking part of his game. Curtis Jones looked good but he and Trent were at fault for the 3rd goal as he didn’t pick up the runner and left Gomez with 3 to defend by himself after Trent gave away possession too cheaply on the throw in.

Good fun game though and 3 points, any way or any how is good enough for me.

2 Likes

He always has a stinker when he comes back from playing for Holland as they set up differently defensively hence the total disconnect between him Gomez and Alisson but Klopp promised they would sort it

1 Like

A bit of a pity that Milly did not get to play against his boyhood club/debut club.
(Then again, Mo would not have a hat trick if Milly was on the pitch.)

I quite like the new Match of the Day opening. Red ribbons, Liverbirds and Hendo lifting the trophy right at the end.

5 Likes

First game back into the proper stuff,a win is a win,but certain the defence needs to come back off whatever holiday there was.
Over the moon with Mo getting his hat trick,some in other places reckoned he was finished…maybe not!
Leeds were pretty good,pleased to see that as long as they don’t beat us in the return game.

2 Likes

To be fair the defence seemed more switched on second half bar the one attack, lot of the sloppiness was in the first half.

Anyhow something else for them to have a moan at us about while they wank over Chelsea’s latest signings. I muted Carragher and Tyler today it was pretty damn awful.

4 Likes

We got a bit lucky there. Apart from Robbo, Salah and Mane, everyone in the starting eleven needs to sharpen up their game. Of course Hendo and Trent were coming back from injury but the others were all lacking in effort and / or concentration to varying degrees.

I feel that there is an air of complacency with some players that’s been there since the start of the year. A kind of ‘job done, now we can relax a bit’ attitude which they need to shake off right now.

Of course Salah is MoM and it’s great to see him back to his best. But I was also really impressed with Jones. Only when he came on did the midfield show some energy.

6 Likes

@ISMF1 don’t ISMF forget to start the Chelsea thread!!!

2 Likes