Post match: Liverpool v Man City (Community Shield 30/7/22 5pm)

Sure, but what people are seemingly confused about is why you’re raising an issue of a ref using VAR exactly the way it is supposed to be used to reach the right decision.

7 Likes

Which is why refs need to be interviewed after games to be asked what their thinking was over these incidents.

Let’s just say for arguments sake that the rule is ‘two hands on the ball, the keeper has control’. The interviewer then asks Pawson what he saw? Let him answer then show him a replay. See if he’d have changed his decision? Ask whether VAR should have picked anything up?

My opinion is that refs need to be held to account. No ref is going to get EVERY decision correct, but for the Citoil goal they had a few minutes to watch a good number of replays. IF an offence was committed by Foden it should have been picked up. (I’ve not seen any replays of the goal focusing on the Adrian/Foden incident so I don’t know what should have been given).

:nerd_face:

4 Likes

City’s goal?
VAR check should have disallowed it for foul on Adrian.
I stated that before, so don’t understand the confusion.

1 Like

Jesus Christ you lot are STILL going on about this?!
Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

3 Likes

come on no GIF by Shalita Grant

2 Likes

A independent body to oversee referees performances and a table to see who is getting the most decisions correct.

6 Likes

With people not related/affiliated to any club. Completely impartial (or as impartial as possible)

4 Likes

Thanks Joe
They really won’t stop…

In many cases there is no such thing as a correct decision though.

Such as…

1 Like

That would be for the panel to decide :grinning::grinning:

1 Like

How?
If the rules are applied there has to be a correct decision?

Or are you joking?

They should be made to compete in Takeshi’s castle for every wrong mistake found.

3 Likes

How about deciding if a defender “deliberately” played a ball thereby playing the opponent onside. How can you know for sure what the defender had in mind? That can’t be 100% correct which seems to be what people expect.

1 Like

And how frequently does this happen? Rarely. Also I thought the law was that if it came off a defensive player then it’s automatically on rude regardless of intention

I refer you to the incident in the Champions League final with the disallowed Real goal. Check the offside law.

I go back and forth on this.

Part of me thinks this is common sense. We rarely know why a ref made a decision- what they saw, what they thought was important- and so a big part of the usual post-game frustrations is reaction to the unknown. You can accept a decision you disagree with far more if a well articulated rationale is provided. Another big part of it is that a lot of people genuinely don’t understand the relevant rule or how it is implemented, and so continued reference to what the actual rule/interpretation is from the refs who made big decisions by applying them would be educational and valuable to the discourse.

The other side of me doubts its value though, in large part because I have a good amount of experience of listening to refs explain themselves and invariably their explanations are shit, even with well credentialed ones. Removing the benefit of the doubt and knowing for sure their decision making process is shit or they dont understand the game just leaves you even more frustrated. You’ve then got the inevitable bad faith misrepresentation of what a ref says to support a fanbase’s perception the ref is biased against them, and I think the refs are on to a hiding to nothing.

3 Likes

But surely if they did it regularly, they’d get better at it.
I’d be concerned about a couple of things though. Firstly, it could lead to refs playing up to the cameras, trying to be entertaining and becoming social media celebrities. Secondly, there’s a very real danger that they would become even more the focus of online hate campaigns, death threats etc.
There does need to be more scrutiny, but the direct glare of publicity may lead to an unintended increase in controversy and rancour.

I don’t agree with the way it was done in the Euros then. For close calls, I personally don’t think the linesman should be raising the flag. They should have VAR confirm it.

What if the linesman raises the flag, the defenders stop, the attacker puts it in the back of the net and VAR finds the linesman was wrong? The goal will stand and the defenders will feel more than a bit cheated. Keep the flag down for tight calls and let VAR deal with it.

My problem, and our defender’s problem, is when the flag stays down for a player a mile offside. Those ones are stupid and puts players at greater risk of injury for no purpose.

9 Likes

yep.

its ridiculous the amount of playing time that elapses after a stonewall offside.

its going through the mtions as everyone knows its going to get called…

an injury waiting to happen i think

5 Likes