Post match: Liverpool v Porto (UCL 24/11/2021 8pm)

As much as “Gerrard-esque” is an overused cliche, that really was. If he does it again I’ll start saying “Thiago-esque.”

5 Likes

Where is the 2.5m John?

10 Likes

Cheers, my mate and I were convinced the ball didn’t touch the ground due to the spin will look into this further :+1:t2:

1 Like

Nothing like a comfortable win in a game you don’t need to win and when you rest a good chunk of the team.

Not too shabby a 1st goal for Thiago.

3 Likes

He did score against Saints last spring, although maybe you are saying UCL. Either way, he’d do well to top that!

2 Likes

:joy:

7 Likes

well done to all

1 Like

Good result,but honestly I am still reliving Thiago’s goal, superb!
Took a while for no 1, but it was worth the wait.

1 Like

Brilliant result. No injuries, excellent.

1 Like

Haha, me too. :nerd_face:

No it didn’t, if you magnified the ball 10000 times, you will see a team of minions carrying the ball

3 Likes

What a palaver getting to the game. Our usual pre match routine was thrown into disarray as my Nephew is up at a sparrow’s farm for work so we had to detour to collect his Daughter (my Great Niece) before we went. Then the tunnel was rammed and the roads to the ground were rammed. There were no spaces where we usually park in the Stanley Park car park. As we went to buy our matchday badges we heard the crowd singing YNWA. I had to run down behind the Kk stand and the Kop and then back up to the top of the main stand to get in. (I did stop twice to complete my usual pre match rituals (stood in the dip in the road and kissed my Brother’s stone). I got in at 6 minutes gone.
Phew, now on to the game. In my opinion I thought we played it perfectly. We played within ourselves during the first half and then eased off the brakes and got our goals. Once we’d done that we then went back into energy saving mode. As to the MOTM shouts? First Thiago, was immense tonight. He’s getting minutes into his legs and his passing is getting better each game. Second Mo, not just for his goal, but his overall game. He did a lot of work in our half tonight and some of his touches were sublime. Third is a hard one. There are two or three player who I’d like to include. Ox, had a game similar to what he was producing pre his injury against Roma? He looked sharp and was making first time passes like he’d been a first team regular all season. Costas, had a really good game and played the LB roll like I would play it. (Just a quick pointer. I play LB. I’ve been a LB since I was 15.) I was taught to play defensively. I’m not saying that Costas is better than Robbo (my favourite player). It’s just that I feel safer with Costas. I was never adventurous as Robbo.
On the whole though I have to give the third spot to young Tyler Morton. If this had have been my first ever football game I would never have thought that he was making his European debut. What a great performance from him. He fitted into the system so well.
Also I 'd like to give a shout out to Jürgen. He sometimes gets flack for his substitutions. I thought that tonight’s were spot on. Great game and squad management. :+1::nerd_face:

14 Likes

dog didnt read GIF by FirstAndMonday

1 Like

No, and oddly enough it looks like it dips slightly then rises again, just hovering into the net.

Robbo played like a man who knows he isn’t necessarily a guaranteed starter.

Great energy. A bit of healthy competition to bring out his best again is just what he needs.

3 Likes

Definitely took a little deflection, can not say if or not it hit the floor appeared to but I think it was just the deflection (deflected off a leg of the player it passed through the legs of so not a 10/10 but close).

Just like the match against the Gunners, I gave the 3 picks to our midfielders today:

1. Thiago
  2. Ox
  3. Tyler Morton

It was difficult to watch in the early part of the 1st half (not just because my stream was such a stuttering mess)…Porto pressed against our centre and backline as our boys have not jived yet. It took a while to really find the rhythm and legs. Before Thiago scotch the pitch with a screamer, Porto could have gone ahead by 2 goals. Really glad that we put away the game with 2 fabulous goals and a clean sheet.

Great to see that our midfielders are coming back one-by-one.

2 Likes

What a commentary for Thiago’s screamer!

Courtesy of a poster on reddit.

3 Likes

Geo-lock to UK. You may need VPN to access the video.

Klopp couldn’t have managed this better. He found the sweet spot between resting some of his starters, giving minutes to those who needed it and winning the game.

It wasn’t a vintage display, especially in the first half, but the gulf in class and quality was always going to tell even with a makeshift first eleven.

Was especially gratifying seeing Thiago run the show and getting an absurdly technical goal, that’s so typical of him. Chamberlain continued his strong performances of late demonstrating once again that he is far from finished. Finally, after Elliott, Morton seems to be the second teenager in the space of a few months making his breakthrough.

Exciting stuff all around.

7 Likes