Post match: Liverpool v Rangers (UCL 4/10/22 8pm)

4-2-3-1 worked I thought.

Elliot and TAA on the same flank didn’t work imo. I don’t want to see it happen again tbh.

Nunez will be fine I think. Tsimikas another star buy. Zero change when he plays over Robbo. Good game this evening and played a huge part in the clean sheet.

Clean sheet = happy days.

7 Likes

Much better, big test come the weekend. Will need to be scoring off our chances.

1 Like

Would like to see us play like that against Arsenal - have more players back, fewer forward, but more running in behind and more direct passing from deep to find those runs.

Nunez played well other than the finishing, full backs good, Henderson good, Diaz good.

Poor opposition though, just like Bournemouth we can’t go overboard just yet. But I do think that side can beat Arsenal if we turn up.

11 Likes

It was very comfortable bar 5 mins at the end, on another day Nunez gets a hatty or 2.

3 very tough games up next, including travelling to Ibrox…not going to be pretty.

1 Like

We didn’t look like we were tanking it, the positions seemed right and proper and we could probably have tanked then another five but as someone said in the pre match a comfortable but not silly score is better for us at this time.

It also gives options to play Carvalho and Elliott in positions they will thrive in. Completely lost shape with the Milner and Elliott changes if Klopp isn’t going trust Arthur I hope Jones comes back and covers the Milner role.

We looked comfortable and convincing I have an odd feeling if we had gone 4-3-3 again we’d probably seen more of the same.

This gives me hope going forward, Diaz and Hendo seemed to get most out of it though the CM of Hendo and Thiago was a big plus in this.

Also Thiago hugging TAA when he went off, warmed me, I don’t think they are intentionally trying to piss us off guys.

Anyhow a start to build on if we build on this it will take 3 more years for clubs to catch up with our new system based on last time :wink:

8 Likes

Good solid win in the midst of a bad spell. Not sure how anyone can have complaints tonight

5 Likes

Comfortable as it gets. Hopefully not too much energy wasted and starting to get into rhythm.

Yeah, IMO it should be either Elliott and Gomez or Hendo and TAA to have a balanced right flank. Maybe Jones and TAA could work as well.

2 Likes

Yeah we should have let them beat us so we have something to moan about for the rest of the week

4 Likes

I rather win but if that is what you want, be my guest .

1 Like

Sarky twat

:+1:

2 Likes

A few weeks ago I was calling for 4231 based on the midfield and attacking options we have. A few others were to be fair.

I’d like to see us persist with this and get it honed in for the season. It looked more solid, and it was lovely to see our attacking players on the pitch. Ok, they were in each other’s way a little, and overplaying it a little, but that will sharpen up.

Shoutout to Nunez. Didn’t get his goal, but looked dangerous and was involved in a few good chances. Keep him in there, in this formation. Confidence is key, and as this builds up for him, it will help him, and us, kick on this season.

7 Likes

Agreed. Okay, Rangers aren’t the sternest of opponents but they couldn’t handle the constant shifting of our attacking quartet and better sides than them will have nightmares about facing these four, with Bobby as a more than adequate backup.

And for those who think that a two-man midfield is easily overrun, the beauty of the 4231 setup is that it naturally becomes 451 when we lose possession.

10 Likes

It seems like we end up playing 3 people out of position - round holes and square pegs…

We are playing 4 strikers, 2/3 midfielders and 3/4 defenders. it feels unwieldy and against better opposition (I think) we will be found out.

1 Like

No we aren’t.

We are playing four players who excel in attacking and three of them can also track back and fulfil their defensive duties. Diaz, Jota and Mo have repeatedly shown that they’re more than capable of pitching in defending.

Even Nunez might learn to do so eventually and, until then, he can be subbed for Bobby if we’re protecting a lead.

7 Likes

They are not midfielders

They don’t need to be.

You’re getting hung up on definitions without looking at role requirements. They just need to track back and defend when we don’t have the ball- which isn’t often, in case you hadn’t noticed.

9 Likes

I think it may be ok with weaker opposition but not against teams in the top half of the premier league - Rangers are basically a championship/bottom quarter premier league side.

We have to win a match 3-0 someday, surely! :joy:

2 Likes

I’m with Cynical, Elliott is not a CM in this system but I’d question if he was anywhere near one in the 4-3-3, however in this system he can easily across two positions.

Hendo’s best position is now number 6, this allows us to play him with Fabinho or like tonight with Thiago and it gets the best out of him. You’ve got Carvalho who can potentially play 3 of the positions as well.

Nunez at times interchanged with Jota and you’ve also got Firmino.

The Full backs could go forward but we’re never out of position, yes it’s Rangers but we’ve faced teams as bad as that and given up 7 or 8 chances.

We played that system against Brighton at the weekend and we are not conceding more than we did.

We’ve been utterly woeful this season but I can see a system there that’s breathed a bit of life into us and given all the players a chance to play in the positions they are favoured too, injuries will require changes but you can adapt that, you could even have Thiago in the role behind the striker.

My main worry would be the lack of chances but that seemed to be where people are losing the context of it being Rangers, it won’t always create as many chances but when it bounces forward there isn’t about 4 v 2, Someone was always comfortable to pass it back too.

Let’s see how it grows and days it won’t work but I think it’s more natural than the 4-3-3 for many of our players. 4-3-3 was ending up as defensively as 2-1-1 at times with the 4-2-3-1 it never ended up worse than 2-2-2

4 Likes

Decent performance, thou it was vs Rangers, it was only 2-0 while at Anfield, granted the keeper made some stunning saves. A step in the right direction, and a clean sheet. It wouldn’t add much more confidence for me, vs Arsenal.

1 Like