POST MATCH: Liverpool v West Ham (EPL 31/10/20 5.30pm)

Not really enjoying watching these matches at all. It is really an exercise in frustration, with no atmosphere to boot. We are seeing perhaps 2-3 moments per match of the side playing to the level we know they are capable of, and a lot of dross otherwise. It is one thing to watch a limited side struggle, but we know how good this side can be, and adding a spark like Jota is clearly not the problem. Defence is way below level as well, the attack is the more frustrating though.

Great moment between Shaqiri and Jota though. Another week to try to get this fixed.

12 Likes

Just keep picking up the points Reds.

Highly likely there will be no fans this year at all…it has clearly affected the game, and this is gonna be a tricky, battle of attrition type season…just bank the 3 and on to the next…

15 Likes

small voice in my opinion, objectively, it probably was a foul by Mane.

That’s not why it makes me so furious. As soon as I saw it, I knew I couldn’t celebrate. It’s just miserable and preventing me from properly enjoying my football.

5 Likes

Just went downstairs to see what the rest of the family are up to.

‘Did they lose then’ says Mrs Mascot

‘No!‘ I said. ‘It was 2-1’

‘Oh. I usually hear you shouting when a Liverpool score. I thought they must have got beaten’

‘Oh Yeah. I don’t celebrate goals anymore’.

24 Likes

Procedure is still wrong as well IMO.

We still dont really why Jota’s first was chalked off. The discussions need to be miked so everyone can understand it.

1 Like

I agree, at least to the extent that I can see why it didn’t fall our way.

1 Like

The subs were about 10 minutes overdue because we were struggling to create until that point. Once Jota and Shaqiri came on it was only a matter of time. They couldn’t live with us then. Jota simply has to start now. He’s on fire. Unstoppable. It needed someone with Shaqiri’s vision to open them up. What a pass. If only he can stay fit he will have a big part to play this season.

A great performance from Nat Phillips. An uncomplicated old-fashioned CB. Plenty of controlled aggression. Kept it simple when he needed to. It’s a credit not just to him but to the coaching that a guy who is nowhere near the first team normally could come in and play like that.

We’ve dug out another win. Nowhere near our best but it’s results that matter and that’s 4 wins on the bounce since Everton and the loss of VVD.

17 Likes

lol touche lol…

Hahaha - my girlfriend said something similar because I’d been shouting so much.

“No, we did actually win, honest. I’m just getting grumpier by the week.”

1 Like

Phillips will be the no. 2 by the time Virg gets back…amrite???

3 Likes

Wins a wins a win.

New way for VAR to make it hard for us. Apparently it was for a foul on Ogbonna not Fabianski. Did anyone even think to look at that? Was it a clear and obvious error? Fucking making it up as they go along.

Love seeing Jota settle so quickly and the re-emergence of Shaq. Still very worried about Bobby and the lack of creativity from midfield and Trent.

Great for Phillips to have a pretty solid game but I’d feel a world better if Matip could get back and put a run of games together fucking sharpish.

Going to be a grind of a season but we’re showing the resilience that’s going to be required to be in the conversation.

2 Likes

Shaq… We all missed him… Classy player… Hammer of ab left foot… He would have scored atleast with one of the free kicks in the first half…

5 Likes

Nice to be back in first place too.

2 Likes

yep… this defendin thing is not complicated, jus clear the fuckin ball

3 Likes

The fact that this side just matched the 1978-80 edition for the most home games without defeat in a row really speaks to what a generational side this is. And that’s not even considering club records of 99 and 97 points the last two seasons!

11 Likes

Going behind against a team just interested in defending is extremely difficult. Add to that having to pick our 5th choice defender (played really well did N Phillips, probably MotM with all the defensive headers he dealt with).

WH scored with their first real chance, but we got the important equalizer just before the break, Mo converting the penalty straight down the middle.

We kept probing, without getting past the WH organization, but then Jota and Shaq coming on gave a that extra quality pass to link up the play. With Jota, we have a genuine player to rotate the now front four with no drop in play.

VAR ruled out the goal, which for Man Utd the ref would’ve viewed it as the forward sliding under the keeper, and the WH defender impacting the keeper. One of those flip of a coin decisions, where in our case, the coin appears to be loaded against us. But we kept going, as we do, and got the winner.

2 Likes

We’re going to have to beat the refs to win this cunt again, it seems.

9 Likes

oh shaq is sublime , 2nd game and shaq delivers a pass that opened the defence.
is the referee union determined we don’t win another title .
curtis average , firmino poor.
nat Philips big shout did very very well , just the only negative is using nat or gomez to challenge the long ball, i likied pepes aproach today with rodri against mcbernie and leaving the two CB to defend flicks if any

1 Like

Piss poor game of football overall. Loving Jota atm. Gomez and Hendo both played well, as did Shaq when he came on. Philips decent on his first start. Everyone else: Meh at best

9 Likes