Post Match: Midtjylland vs Liverpool |(UCL 9/12/20 6pm)

If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.

1 Like

So do I. TAA, Fabinho, Henderson, Salah, Keïta, Jota Firmino did not play all for different reasons only Robertson (30 minutes) has played all and we would have seen him without Tsimikas his injury.

All explainable decisions from Klopp who wanted to win this match too.

4 Likes

Quite clearly Klopp doesn’t aspire to the notion of taking a battering if he can help it and I am glad of that.

Besides since when does Klopp have to cater for what his detractors and the Press might have to say? They’ll attack him no matter what. What they perceive as hypocrisy is actually Klopp staying true to his word. They are too thick and cuntish to admit that if there was more time between games and 5 subs like there was for this particular fixture, Klopp would be fielding stronger teams in the domestic cup competitions as well.

If anything, Klopp was totally consistent with what he has been saying.

4 Likes

As I said if Salah is fit he wants to play, I think you or someone else said he had 2 weeks off due to his COV19 break so he clearly isnt anywhere near the red line.

4 Likes

While it is nail biting, I do agree with Klopp playing some of our first teamers contrary to popular opinion.

Firstly it is not fair to throw 11 youth or reserves of differing levels into still after all a CL game.

We can see the potential in Kelleher, Rhys and Billy and also Clarkson. But they can only learn from playing alongside good players and be allowed to grow in a competitive yet safe environment. Imagine how Kelleher or Rhys might feel if they get thrown into a match like what we were forced to against Villa and lost big. Would it be good for their development into the first team in future? I think Klopp is trying to balance that.

Of course, fortunately we seem to come out unscathed, but all these are hindsight. It could easily have gone wrong. But I think there is a good rationale for Klopp to make such decisions. These are players we want to develop positively and in good time, not just body counts.

6 Likes

About the best justification of last nights team selection was on the Anfield Wrap last night, pointing out that all the lads who played have all been part of the first team bubble in recent weeks. Bringing lads in from outside that put the first team at risk from Coronavirus. If that’s it, it’s completely understandable.

4 Likes

Mane got a rest. Mo will probably get his against Fulham and Jota got his against Wolves.

All three go into the Spurs game having played 2 out of the last 3, rested but still sharp.

Trent is the one I don’t understand as that seemed a bit of a risk. Again though, it could be that he needs the minutes for fitness and Neco gets the Fulham game alongside the more experienced CB partnership.

They have the medical data. They know who is at risk and who needs game time so whilst we might disagree, they aren’t just chucking players out there without a plan.

5 Likes

Salah playing full 90min and sending on Mane, Hendo and Robbo in this game was a sin.

2 Likes

I saw a comment on the pre-match thread asking whether VAR is a betting scam. Well, a long delay where the result is known before the outcome - it is absolutely ripe for it. Has anyone investigated betting patterns?

Anyway, this match, for me, was a chance to try out some of the fringe players. I thought Clarkson did well. Not outstanding but he looked quite comfortable in his role. Koumetio did OK. He replaced Fabinho so it was a starker contrast between experience and novice. He does look promising but he needs experience - I think a loan would benefit him at some point. He has only just turned 18 so I’m happy for him to progress.

Rhys Williams looked far stronger alongside Fabinho and I think that makes a case for not playing all kids for these kinds of matches. Kelleher looked composed again which is a good sign as he didn’t always have our first choice defenders to back him up.

Tsimikas looked the best I’ve seen him. Obviously not against the strongest of opponents but he is starting to look like a serious backup to Robertson.

The only real disappointment is Origi. Is he ever going to get his form back? He’s 25 now. I still have hopes for him but I’m beginning to think that should be at another club.

2 Likes

Origi was better than Keita in this match. He made an effort.

2 Likes

Well, couldn’t see this one, and don’t seem to have missed too much, although I’d have liked to see the likes of Clarkson, Willimas , Koumetio and Kelleher performing with the first team live. I take it that Kelleher, Clarkson and Williams played well, while Koumetio had a hard time after coming in, but that’s no surprise. Without the stabilising effect of a player like Fabinho, it was bound to be a difficult night for him. Also, Clarkson’s dip in performance after the break must have the same reason, along with the tiring legs.

The result is totally irrelevant and looking at the stats and the replays of the most dangerous actions, Midtjylland deserve at least a point from this, so fair play to them, well done.

The withdrawal of Fabinho after the break, and the difference in performance between the two halves, exposed what would have happened if Klopp would have played only youngsters: a harsh defeat. We can blame Klopp for playing senior players for this dead rubber, but Klopp is a competitor first and foremost. He wants to win every game, dead rubber or not. We have to take the few flaws among all the numerous and immense qualities he has.

Tsimikas had to go though, which is very frustrating. Hopefully it’s not too bad, fingers crossed. :crossed_fingers:t2:

Like you, I approve the mix between youngsters and senior players, but playing Salah the whole game seems a bit reckless to me. How will his body react to these 95 minutes, say in three weeks or so, after another horrendous run of crucial games to come? Who knows…

Klopp is not the kind to recklessly ruin his players’ health because of the pressure of results, but after his long-winded public argumentations about the need to spare players and give them needed rest, this will come across in the media as at best inconsequent, at worst hypocritical.

Then again, we have no idea at all of the fitness levels of every player. I’m sure that Klopp works very closely with the club doctors to assess each player, and to see when he needs a rest or not.

On to Fulham now, it will be interesting to see if Salah gets a start again. Jota played almost the full game too, so it’s likely that it will be the same frontline which played so well against Wolves again.

9 Likes

Oh dear! If you start saying ‘Howling’ after we score, I’ll really start to worry :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

We have a winner! :+1:

7 Likes

I imagine Salah will only get the last 20 mins on the weekend.

Jota and his form really has been a godsend.

2 Likes

I don’t recollect this moment, but I found this both funny and sad! :eyes:

6 Likes

I think every fan expected that ball to be delivered in behind the defenders just as Salah went between them. A bit of an odd time to play it by big Div.

1 Like

Yes, it made me laugh out loud. It was right at the start of the game. Summed up why throwing Origi into the mix unbalances the front line and why it was so important to bring a player in like Jota.

The game was immediately forgettable. I am tempted to say it was another game ruined by VAR because I hate it so much but it was pretty poor anyway. Kelleher did well. He wasn’t as well protected in this game so it was a sterner test. Tsimakis looks a decent understudy to Robbo. Keita disappointing. Clarkson was good first half.

Goes without saying that JK knows best but I found his team selection and use of subs baffling. Next week is going to be tough but it’s a great opportunity for us to pull clear at the top. Some of the players involved last night won’t now be able to play as full a part in those games because of the minutes they put in last night. Not sure what benefit we gained as we didn’t win or even play particularly well.

5 Likes

All Origi needs to do is run at that last man and then play Salah in when the defender bites.

If he’s looking for a give and go then he needs to actually go after he plays the ball.

Div has earned his place in our history but it’s time he moved on.

3 Likes

I think you also need to consider Klopp has a degree in sports science and combine that with his personality i.e. Player welfare is huge to him, I highly doubt he risks anyone unnecessarily.

He brought in Noma and Kornmayer, leaders in their field specifically around keeping players at peak performance.

6 Likes

Oh man, you did make me giggle :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like