Post Match: Newcastle v Liverpool (EPL 18/2/23 5.30pm)

The back 4 was actually good today it was the cover in front and our poor passing

1 Like

FT: Newcastle 0-2 Liverpool

Chris Waddle

Ex-England winger on BBC Radio 5 Live at St James’ Park

I think Liverpool are very fortunate Newcastle had Nick Pope sent off. If it had been 11 v 11, it would have been a different score.

I find this comment annoying. The goalie was sent off correctly and that is that. Liverpool had scored already and the pressure told. Going by the run of the game if Pope had stayed on Liverpool would have won 8-0!

11 Likes

Poor performance after the red card, but the 3 points were all that mattered and we got them.

Onwards.

4 Likes

I’d have taken that at the start of the match. However you slice it, Newcastle have been very good defensively. All that mattered today was the three points, and that applies to every game going forward.

I’m not going to worry about the performance, no way of knowing what would have happened had Pope not lost his head.

5 Likes

We fade against ten men at the best of times, so the performance is whatever. Excellent result. Cody growing in confidence, Darwin a fucking lunatic as always, but MOTM goes to Ali.

2 Likes

Disagree thought van Dijk and Robertson we’re poor.

1 Like

Excellent result and a clean sheet, created lots of chances but only put two away. Performance not the best but results are what matters and the win has us 6 points behind Newsandcastle with a game in hand.onwards and upwards.

3 Likes

Great win! Nunez,Gakpo and Salah are producing the goods. Bajectic is alright today which says a lot about his other team-mates.Our decision-making after 22 minutes went from fucking brilliant to WTAF everyone is trying to do in front of the opposition goal.

If our RCM & RCB has the ability to cover TAA adequately, he might produce more than what he can today.

This game has also shown us our midfield is not in a very servicable shape. Hendo and Fabinho didn’t cover themselves in glory today with the captain being very anonymous today.

Three excellent passes undid them. TAA splits the channel for the open Nunez, who never misses :wink: Then Mo times it perfectly for Gapko, who’s been a scoring machine lately :grimacing: Finally, Becker undoes his counterpart with a beautiful ball over the top that Pope can’t “handle.” :joy:

8 Likes

I expect we would have been better at 11 v 11.

Us against 10 men is terrible.

7 Likes

Loved the way NĂșñez finished his goal, so much determination. :+1:

5 Likes

With VVD the Almiron chance I don’t thing Virg new he was there as initially he was way offside, maybe Ali should have let him know, other than that can’t remember much that he did wrong defensively same with Robbo

1 Like

Reckon he shinned it though.

1 Like

Watching and not doing, his problem all season.

It’s not just us. I for one remember when 10 man City came from 3-0 s down against Spurs to win the game, and that was before they were good.

Happens more than it should, but 10 men can be difficult to play against.

1 Like

Maybe it will become a tactic other teams can employ
stop a goal, and change the game

1 Like

In this one I don’t think he saw Almiron

Get a player sent off?

I said in game, under Klopp have we ever done well against 10 men, I can’t recollect any games

Crazy for Nick Pope to do that at 2-0 down though. What was he thinking?

Was he even thinking?

2 Likes