Post match: Newcastle v Liverpool (EPL 30/12/20 8pm)

I know you’re upset, but give your head a wobble mate.

10 Likes

It was not to be tonight. Didn’t play that well but did enough to win. Two points out of six is not title winning from.:rage:

Thiago, Henderson, Gini should be the midfield trio moving forward. Jones needs a spell on the bench.

5 Likes

That was a penalty by Darlow on the chance for Mané that was cleared off the line. He grabbed his leg and prevented him from getting to the ball before Schär.

13 Likes

One of them days where either keeper gets good save or the shot is fluffed. Frustrating, but no time to wallow.

With Thiago getting some minutes, we can finally rotate with good quality in midfield again to keep things fresh. On to the next game.

2 Likes

Another freezing game. Another shit performance.

Observations:

1. Salah the last two matches has had the first touch of a paedo
  2. Mane had to dive. It’s actually poor that he kept his feet. Had he fallen it probably would have been picked up by VAR
  3. Thiago done more in 3 mins than the starting midfield three could manage in 70. So unfortunate that the bitters got him
  4. Becker the only one to influence the result with that diving save so he gets my vote
2 Likes

I have.
Remember season before last when silly draws cost us? Sames happening again.
I dont see this team winning 8-10 on the bounce.

1 Like

Frustrating as all hell, mainly because (and this may just be my victim complex but) it seems like every 50-50 break has gone against us this year. Last year we got some breaks, but we were generally worthy of them, and even if we had been unlucky we probably still would have won by 10+ points. This year we can’t catch a fucking break (and as I ranted yesterday United seem to be getting all of them, but they’re not Luckchester United for no reason). Two (!) center halfs out for the season, our summer signings will have been out for two months each (plus Thiago’s COVID bout), a center half that is less durable than a bag of Pringles, and that’s just scratching the surface.

Life isn’t fair, but given all the hard luck we had for 30 years I thought we might have turned a corner by winning the title. And while I wouldn’t expect us to get every break, I can only hope we’re more fortunate in 2021.

3 Likes

Poor. The subs should have been made sooner. Wanted Thiago at halftime (what a player he is!). A lot of players off the boil at the minute. Front three over the past two games have missed enough sitters to win both games 3/4 times over. Midfield did its job, but was lacklustre until Thiago came. Defence did its job, but lacklustre in its role on the ball. Ali saved us from a proper Newcastle result. As sluggish as the team were the big problem over the past two games has been the front 3 not finishing easy chances (not even touching on the half chances), think we really could have done with Jota coming off the bench.
That said we’re still top. Two barren games should make up for the gluttony of the 7-0 and now the football gods can go back to letting us win by a goal or two a game

1 Like

Alright…

I have finished sulking.

This team is still going to win the league.

13 Likes

Milner MotM. Robertson and Fabino also good. Many others very sub par.
I voted for Fabino and Milner. They were better than the rest. I regret not casting a third vote for Allison, he made that critical save. Realised I missed him when I wrote this.

Our forwards were helpless, Newcastle’s keeper, who did two great interventions, we did not give him near enough work to do. Most of our chances were a meter from the goal. Frustrating. 2 critical points lost and only our own fault for not being good enough to manage to score. Can’t complain about not winning when Newcastle’s keeper didn’t have more to do.

3 Likes

I wanted to talk about this earlier today, and @Hope.in.your.heart just made a great comment in the match thread that reminded me, I think our squad is mirroring The Boss’s mood. He hasn’t been himself for weeks, agitated and irritable, and our boys have been really erratic. 6 draws is it thru 16? That’s not very good.

1 Like

We need Jota back

6 Likes

No MoM vote from me. They were all as shite as each other, and should hang their heads in shame. But especially the forwards deserve nothing but blame. They were awful, all three of them.

Wheels falling off? There is now one full week to ponder over things for Klopp. Better use that time carefully, Jürgen.

2 Likes

Thats the trouble with people this isn’t last season. We can’t keep comparing them.

4 Likes

The games against Saints and Villa will not be pretty. At least we can’t blame the defence for that result.
Front 3 were all shocking but it needs to be said that Mo and Bobby should be putting those chances away. I love Firmino, I appreciate the work he does for the side but he’s a striker and he should be scoring 2 or 3 goals in the last two games.
And giving Shaq 2 minutes at the end of the game…that’s fucking stupid shit right there.

4 Likes

Anyone making sweeping predictions about the destination of the title at this point is inviting mockery.

We’re top of the league, if Utd win their game in hand, we’re still top of the league.

I know where having a wobble, but we’ll be sound.

8 Likes

That lovely run and through ball by Bobby to Salah who cuts on to his left foot, and then…well, 99 times out of 100 he would’ve curled it gently into the far corner. The keeper was just a passenger at that point. One of them days.

2 Likes

Thats true.

what a disaster of four days we have had…FUCK. But all is not lost. we still top and hope this is our minor blimp for the season… what a shit shit game

2 Likes