Post Match: Real Madrid v Liverpool (UCL 15/03/23 8pm)

Allison kept us looking respectable?and was my MOTM,not much more to be said.

1 Like

Gave it a good go until our second half changes killed the game. No big deal, problem was the first leg. Madrid just had too much quality for us - no shocks to find out that our midfield needs to be revamped completely.

4 Likes

Poor Ali, deserves better.

Disappointing the lads didn’t really give it a good. We had moments in the game if we could’ve done better with the ball, had we put a goal or two in and change the tempo of the game, maybe the tie would’ve been different.
I think is time we dropped Mo and maybe get Fabio or Elliott to try the RW position. Mo just doesn’t have the confidence and hence not the same player that we’re used to seeing for the past 4-5 years. Too many wayward passes, miss place passes, and bad shots. I would try to play Gakpo and Nunez up front rather than a front 3. I think our midfield needs an extra body to shore up the gaping hole we always leave behind for our opponents to explore.
Trent was horrible today too, forget trying to defend Vinicus, but his passing and in general his pressing of the ball is non existent today.
I just feel the time has come to let our old guards go and bring in fresh troops. It’s been a brilliant run for last 6yrs, but at this point, I think mentally and physically they’re not up for the challenge. Plus Klopp system are more suited for younger legs anyhow.
It’s 50/50 really for us getting top 4 or not, but let’s give it a go and if we don’t make it, let’s hope we still have the pull to bring in Big names to the club.

YNWA

Real Madrid are miles better than most teams in the Champions league, let alone us.
It was disappointing to exit the tournament at an early stage. 1-0 is not a bad score😬.

It’s obvious, we need reinforcements in midfield. Maybe it will help us concentrate on Top 4.

The lads will be back next season.

2 Likes

Let’s be sensible here if anyone thought we were going to get past RM after losing big time to Brighton Brentford Wolves Nottingham Forest you were in cloud cuckoo land. Write this season off and hope that we make the right signings in the summer to get us back to the kind of standards of a few seasons back when we were beating the best teams in Europe. We’ve got one of the best managers in world football and let’s hope he gets full backing from the owners.

2 Likes

You may mock me but I didn’t think Real Madrid were that impressive either today or at Anfield and you compare to losing to Brighton, but for me Brighton have produced the best and most convincing team performance against us I have seen since Jurgen took over

Bummer! I had high hopes for this one!

1 Like

Milan was miles better than us in Istanbul and we know how our and our captains’s desire did what they did

If we had approached this tie in a professional way (such as try to protect a 2-0 lead and keep it tidy - considering our injuries and inferior bench) who knows what would have happened

But this is not Jurgen - he’s not the Mr conservative Rafa kind - who has a better chance to win ugly - while Jurgen’s high risk style is the only way to win the PL

Voted Alisson as MotM as he kept us in it long enough for us to try and pull something off. We didn’t.

TBH, I thought we were stuffed as soon as I heard about the latest midfield injuries. That sort of sums up the season.

It’s a really odd season. A legendary performance one week followed by a month of mediocrity. It’s a rebuilding exercise and we won’t really see consistent improvement until the final keystones are in place. Last time that was signing Alisson. This time there are still a few pieces to assemble.

3 Likes

We were stuffed as soon as Madrid scored their (deflected) fourth goal at Anfield.

The lack of effort and belief shown by our lads both after that goal went in and last night was pathetic, though.

2 Likes

March 2022: Quadruple hopes alive :boom:
March 2023: No hope of a single trophy :broken_heart:

How the mighty have fallen… :slightly_frowning_face:

Money, my friend is the biggest issue…

didn’t expect us to do a manure (although I was hoping for it), but I still feel very disappointed with our mental attitude, because of our reputation in the CL .

I don’t agree. Loyalty towards ageing players has brought us to this point.

2 Likes

Nobody could have seen that the squad that came so close to an unprecedented quadruple last season would have fallen off a cliff so quickly. But the signs were there- players such as Henderson and Milner are getting older, while Fabinho and Salah hadn’t been in the best of form last season- and succession plans should have been put in place.

2 Likes

I don’t like the term ‘lack of effort’. It suggests some or all of our players weren’t trying their best to win it. Which I don’t think is the case. Everyone did lots of gut running (sorry, aussie rules term), we saw plenty of quality defensive work even from the forwards (how many goal-bound blocks did Gakpo make in that first 15 mins? Probably 5?). Am I sick of Virg allowing the linesman to get in his head? Of course. Mate, if you keep worrying about what call the linesman is making and thinking he is always wrong, then you are very likely to think its just a bad line-o call even when a player onside scores a goal. Like has happened probably 3 times in the last few weeks.

Again as always throughout this season, my feeling is its a lack of belief as you also say. Now compare the tempo (rather than effort) between the RM game and the Everton game. The boys came out breathing fire against the bitters. They wanted it, they were prepared for it, they went about moving the ball very confidently.

We saw that in the first leg of the RM tie, before RM got 2 goals back and the players believed this would be a typical LFC-RM Klopp-era game where we can’t win. Last night the tentative, trepid version of this team showed up once again, as if we haven’t seen enough of it this season.

I am finally on-board with a large scale clean out of the squad. Not because I think those here lack the ability, but because their minds have just gone. I wouldn’t be focusing just on midfield. We almost need a fresh face in every area of the pitch. Players who are hungry to win. Players who are hungry to perform. This team is actually pretty embarrassing in terms of desire. There is none.

2 Likes

Exactly this.

2 Likes

We’ll have to agree to disagree, then. Looked like they were merely going through the motions to me. “Quiet quitting” in the contemporary vernacular.

3 Likes

As you all know, I’m no football expert, but even I could see that we needed changes in midfield last summer. I was told that Ox, Keita and Jones were good enough, and to stop being negative. Mind you, Fabinho’s sudden decline has been a total disaster.

1 Like