Post Match: Real Madrid v Liverpool (UCL 15/03/23 8pm)

lets be honest we arent getting top 4 and so our time in CL has been a blast.
hopefully a year out of it will make them hungry for a return.

1 Like

those will be gone in the summer. you can tell how much klopp rates them when he starts 2 midfielders - ones completley out of form and ones 37 - ahead of any of these.

Win the next game and a few rough results for Spurs, Newcastle and United and we’ll all be a bit happier.

1 Like

Meh, no trophy this season…

We move on, with hopefully better performances to come in the next weeks.

We were not good enough for this task over two games, simple as that. A bit sad, considering the names left in the competition, some teams we didn’t play often. We have 12 league finals now to try and secure top 4.

Hopefully this is not our final CL game in following years…

Also:

Liverpool v Real: 3-1-7

Liverpool v Ancelotti: 5-3-11

I gave in after 70 minutes and went to bed. I’m more interested in getting my sleep hours than watching us at the moment. That’s how sad it is.

Trying to look for positives but could only really come up with the lads looking a little bit more together.

Now to the doom and gloom paragraph. We really lack quality. Remove the drive and energy out and we really are not a good side. Our ability to create goal scoring opportunities is honestly awful and I’d argue that there’s evidence to back this going back years. We are good on the break or in transition, anything else we look lost.

I said in the in game thread that there was one passage play that summed us up. We lose the ball in midfield, half get it back, make a mistake and they’re through one on one. Ali saves us but we’re slow and half asleep and they get another free shot on goal. Again we get away with that, break quickly, create a 2 on one and don’t even get a shot on goal because of a really poor pass.

1 Like

Who is really taking the piss by selecting Kostas and Carvalho for MOTM ? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

This is probably one of the least energetic post match thread of the season. Just goes to show how everyone has been so drained by what has happened this season. At least, everyone has a few weeks off now and I don’t think there’s many of us who will be bemoaning that. The rest of the season is going to be a continuation of the slog.

As for the game, it was men against boys at the end. We were lucky to survive the first half, only Ali keeping us in the game. It completely baffles me , how the Madrid team was dominated by us completely in the CL final 9 months ago.

I am under no illusion that a couple of signings in the summer, will not suddenly get us back to title challengers. This summer even Jurgen has to hit the reset button. This team has lost it’s swagger, mentality and confidence. Jurgen needs to bring back that attitude which he started with, when he came in. It’s back to the concept of Doubters to Believers !!. Some basics need to be set in the summer again:

1. We need to start playing for 90 min
  2. Believe that game doesn’t end before 90 min and keep playing till the final whistle
  3. Bring the right attitude in away games and treat every team the same. There are no easy games in the league.
  4. Focus on set pieces, that was one of our weapon that has been completely abysmal this season.

To end with, even Jurgen needs to introspect this season. Even he will admit, he has not been at this best, he probably hasn’t dealt the hand given to him in the best possible way. Some tactics needs to be looked at against low block teams and one sticking point that he should address is playing and rewarding players based on performance/form. No point players putting in a decent performance and they get dropped only for out of form players to always consistently pushed in to the lineup , till they regain their form. And, the sub usage has to be more proactive. What will players do coming 40 seconds before the game ends.
This season needs to finish soon. Can’t see us getting 4 points at max from City, Chelsea and Arsenal.
Let’s just reset !!

1 Like

It actually reminds me of how fast United dropped off when Fergie retired. It wasn’t just the change of management. He had an ageing team that he burnt down to the wick. If he had stayed on, the same drop off in form would have happened.

We are rebuilding but it takes time. At the moment the midfield is killing us. Hendo and Bajčetić getting injured just before this match was the icing on the cake. At the moment there is a lot of deadwood in the squad but I don’t think we are that far off having a reasonable first team. At the moment everyone is under-performing because of a knock on of the injuries in the squad.

We can play well - we saw this against United. However, we can’t get consistency until we have a reasonably fit and balanced squad.

2 Likes

That should have been addressed during this summer where there should have been a fire-sale for Keita and AOC.

2 Likes

We start a 37 year Milner in a midfield two.

We lament the loss of an 18 year old in his first full season to an injury for such a big game.

Our first subs take off the guy we spent a fortune on in the summer for a guy on the wane who is leaving soon.

Our second sub sees the pensioner depart for Ox, a player who has barely been seen in months and is off shortly anyway.

Jones doesn’t make it into the game and Keita is clearly just window dressing at this point. The guy we loaned to help us in midfield this season and who was on the bench for the last game doesn’t make the squad.

That pretty much lays bare the personnel issues. Sure, Thiago might make a difference but that whole unit is a mish-mash and a mess and everyone just seems to be seeing the season out. It doesn’t help that quite a few of those behind them, bar Alisson, seem to have given up on the season too.

The goal is utterly shameful. Could point a finger at all of them in that move. And yet they don’t seem to really care. Shoulders shrug, heads drop, hands go on hips but no one is there trying to sort it out. Maybe all the success has gone to their heads and they just can’t be arsed with having to dig things out any more. “We’re not going to win so why give 100%”. It’s grim to watch.

The final subs are just embarrassing. Klopp’s either giving Kostas and Carvalho a nice jolly so they can say they’ve played at the Bernabeu or he’s sending a message by chucking them out there with the tie dead and a minute to go. Either is pretty embarrassing.

Need some rockets up some arses. Problem is, some of these lads don’t really have a competent challenger to their positions. Trent will play because Milner is our only other option and he can’t do 90 minutes and is needed in midfield. Virg will play because Gomez and Matip look shadows of themselves. We have what we have in midfield and with the persistent injuries players will need to play that quite frankly have no business being out there in a CL last 16 tie against the European Champions.

We’re at a major cross roads. If this summer doesn’t come off right and if we don’t start next season much improved then we seriously could be looking at the end of the Klopp era I fear. More from his thought that he can’t motivate them anymore and thinks it’s best to step away than him being sacked. But a big spend in the summer will add pressure on him to show he’s turned the ship around.

7 Likes

If Klopp says fuck it and walks away after a meeting of FSG to decide the budget, I wonder what those fans who defended FSG more than LFC will do?

If they give Klopp what he wants and we win the league next season, will people stop complaining about them?

No, they won’t. They’ll want even more money and even more players and to win everything forevermore.

7 Likes

Stay supporting the club?

3 Likes

You are like a broken record, it seems you are glad this is happening so you can say I told you so!

There will be a lot of back-tracking from a lot of people including me. However, your point stands on the premise that FSG will fund a decent midfield rebuild without CL and without incoming transfer fees.

That itself is still a huge question mark in the air.

Well, we will see in 1st Sept 2023.

Voted the 3 obvious choices in Ali Ibou & Milner. Jota was the only 1 who I was disappointed with last night, completely ghosted through the game…shame as it looks as though those injuries have blighted his career.

Understandably a lot of posters chose to stay away keeping a low profile after what happened in the first leg, last night only confirmed what everyone knew so it shouldn’t have come as any real surprise & more and more fans now coming to terms with the fact this season wasn’t meant to be.

1 Like

Well, a month before the World Cup, I publicly expressed my opinion in this forum hoping that LFC don’t get twat by the white cunts as my head was telling me it could get ugly and there will be no reinforcements in Jan. And it did get ugly at Anfield.

Am I glad that my predictions were correct? Nope.

It is. As is Klopp’s ability to turn this slump around.

Irrespective of the spending, the performances of the team this season have largely been less than the sum of their parts. Countless times we’ve been dominated by teams where we’d turn our nose up at the thought of us buying any of their players. Countless times we’ve looked a shadow of the team we were a year or two ago. Countless times we’ve seen players making sloppy mistakes or not putting in the required effort.

Those issues don’t stem from money or the owners. That is a training ground issue and one we’ve seen little evidence of being reversed during the course of this season. The responsibility for that lies at Klopp’s door.

2 Likes

Klopp’s original way of playing requires our midfield to be primarily industrious and defensive. That made our threats primarily on the wings. That made our play predictable.

The signing of Thiago for 25 million pounds ( which the club’s organic revenue can easily cover) reduced the industry by a bit but increased the threat from middle of pitch and retained the defensiveness of the midfield.

Klopp is capable of a tactical change if FSG takes a bit of risk and backs him fully with a functioning football director.

Of course, if a club is rich enough to replace a player effortlessly, the motivation will be naturally there as no old established player wants to get replaced and leave LFC for a club that might not pay him more.