Post match: Real Madrid v Liverpool (UCL 6/4/21 8pm)

Trent will get stick but at least him and Mo were showing for the ball, trying to make something happen. Our left side was non-existent. Robbo and Mane were hiding, or fatigued, or both

3 Likes

We played like we didn’t have our first choice cb pairing out there…Wait…

But seriously the way the commentators takes about how RM didn’t have theirs you would think we weren’t in the same boat

4 Likes

I’m fuming after that shite I tried to watch on an utterly crap stream (or perhaps a crap computer)

Attitude was all wrong, midfield starting selection was all wrong.

WTF was wrong with Mane. Shocking

6 Likes

I didn’t say they weren’t better than us on the night. 3-1 doesn’t flatter them.

But this is not a conquering Real Madrid side. Us at our best v them at their best, we fucking murder them. If we’d played like we did against Arsenal, we’re comfortable winners.

3 Likes

He was poor, but there were three occasions where he gets absolutely cleaned out, and nothing given. I think that got in his head.

5 Likes

Silver lining, I’m officially convinced on Kabak.

3 Likes

Disagree on Mane he never hides, he did have a horror of a game though

1 Like

He needs new boots, always falling over. Must have slipped 5 times when turning to receive the ball. That was Origi levels of no threat tonight. If he lets a few fouls get into his head, he’s a soft arse.

1 Like

They are. They are bang average. We showed them far too much respect, and let them do want they wanted.

2 Likes

It was a bit like watching a Prem ref. All season long we’ve got nothing, and Europe has provided some sort of respite as the refs have been fair. I felt he bought a lot of Real Madrid’s cynical bollocks tonight. They just knew when to flop over and take the pressure off the situation.

On our end, we were not as good as we could be. Strikers a bit off. Could almost make an argument for Jota being more impactful off the bench, as Firmino could have worked them and a fresh Jota might have got more change from a tiring defence. Mo was peripheral but got his goal, while Mane was below par, although he should have been given a couple of free kicks in promising situations that were denied.

A packed Anfield roaring us on and it is game on. An empty Anfield, where we have lost many games, and I’m not especially hopeful. You never say never, but they look like they can score against our defence, at least once, even if they are flat. I’m not altogether sure we have enough goals in us.

Still, you have to play it and see. Tough times, especially this season. So it seems more appropriate than ever to say,

YNWA

2 Likes

I love the guy, but wasn’t showing for the ball tonight. Maybe overplayed and fatigued?

CBs are an unavoidable necessity. We looked better once Thiago came on (still worse than them, but better) and the defence was carved open less (still happened but not as much). Was obvious they’d sit deep and ping balls, especially once Ramos and Varane were out as they needed to protect their back line - Kroos, Modric and Casemiro is an incredibly defensive minded midfield and a slow one; they were never going to be charging up the pitch or leaving space for keita to run in. Their game plan was a lot better than ours from the start and a large part of that stemmed from the midfield imbalance. There’s a reason Klopp chose to put Thiago on but not drop Fab deep. Make no mistake we lost this in the midfield. They let us have space in the midfield third trusting that we’d over commit and fail to retain the ball; which we did.

Next week they;ll be just as defensive and incisive (Modric and Kroos’ passing is a level above our midfielders) we need to make sure we aren’t as naive or we’ll be embarassed

2 Likes

Embarrassing.

He did how many times did he fall over when showing and trying to receive the pass

Nah mate they have world class, hard working players all over the pitch…and their reserve CBs are a different level to ours

3 Likes

I don’t think this RM team were shite by any stretch, nor was the ref bad. We were disjointed for most of the match, losing balls, getting out passed. Just one of those nights.
2 nil back at Anfield will do ok. Easy

5 Likes

Listening to De Jong finally a pundit talking sense

Fixed it for you.

3 Likes

And cost a lot more

Got shown levels by a weakened Real Madrid. I don’t really care about the season anymore I want it over. Jürgen has some big decisions in the summer

2 Likes