Post match: Real Madrid v Liverpool (UCL 6/4/21 8pm)

Too much fucking respect.

Sort it out lads and we can score 4 past this lot at Anfield

1 Like

But we couldn’t play like we did against Arsenal because Arsenal are shite and RM are good :man_shrugging:t2:

8 Likes

We all expressed surprise at the team sheet with Naby in it ahead of Thiago. If ever there was a game perfect for Thiago to get involved in, it was this.

The first half was poor as can be. Klopp seemed to have picked up the tactics of Arteta from last weekend – namely, not bother passing through the midfield and try to rely on a pacey front three to get behind the re-jigged RM back line.

The pressing in the first half was some of the worst we’ve seen. The front three spent the whole half sprinting to press the keeper and the defenders who received the ball wide, but the distance from them and the midfield made it all wasted effort. They would’ve been better served by conserving their energy and press once ball was moved further up.

The shocking Naby was hooked before the break, and this allowed us to get a foothold in midifled, and actually string a few passes together.

Perfect start to the second, with us getting more involved, culminating with Salah getting an away goal. Push on?

No. Straight after getting away with a 2 on 2 break, we stand off RM allowing them all the time in the world to pick out their passes for the third.

Mane somehow stayed on the field. Got the feeling that Klopp was trying to be too cute and avoid the obvious subs.

In ordinary times, an away goal and a packed Anfield would be cause of optimism. In our present situation, it could get ugly.

2 Likes

Do we have him for the 2nd leg?..if yes we’re doomed…

Phillips and Kabak will not be our first pair of CH’s or the second when everybody is fit, not fast enough and not tall enough. That and the fact that 75% of the rest is overworked due to all injuries and you see it back on the pitch and in the results.

It is what it is this year, every win is a pleasant surprise and for two months the defeats don’t bother me any longer.

1 Like

Fair enough

I don’t think so, but not sure

RM was better but that’s because we let them dictate the tempo of the game. We shouldn’t went with 4-2-3-1 like how we finish the game on the weekend. Gini and Naby were passengers tonight. Both didn’t offer anything offensively nor defensively. I would’ve had started Thiago with Fab and Jota or Bobby as the No.10 .
Defensively we came them too much time on the ball and we got burn by Vinicus Jr pace for the opening goal. Second goal was put on the platter. Third one Ali should’ve had stopped it.
Offensively, Jota and Mo did enough, but I feel Mane is holding up the potential of his mates going forward. Too often he loses possession, and too often he makes the wrong decision with the ball at his feet. The most worrying is he has loss that first step of blistering acceleration. He can’t go wide and poke the ball behind defenders and expects to recover it anymore. I do think he’s really low on confidence right now, and he needs to keep pushing and working hard to change his fortune.
We have to be patient for the second leg, RM will be looking to counter at every opportunity. I think they’re beatable, they didn’t overrun us tonight, it’s more we didn’t play to our standards then anything. We do need to change it up in midfield, if we were to have a chance. That away goal will be very important, we need to score 2 and shut them out and we’re moving on.

YNWA

3 Likes

Yeah but he’s trying to do everything himself as well. That twirly twirly thing he did at the end. He ignored the easy option and tried to wiggle through himself and got nothing. Deservedly so as well.

Heads gone is right.

Really pissed at that tonight. We always seem to make it far harder than it should be for ourselves.

Said it time and time again - what the fuck does Kieta do.

His hooking was either a result of another injury (very likely) or finally Klopp admitting it hasn’t worked

Better in 2nd half, but then it couldn’t have been any worse. We moved the ball quicker but defensively shocking, I couldn’t watch every time Madrid came forward. Alisson should’ve saved the third as well.

i think it was you who mentioned long covid.

ive briefly read it affects some sportspeople more than others.

maybe theres something in that?

but if theres is, i can only assume a few fans on a fan board wouldnt and couldnt be the first to pick it, so it just makes Klopps decisions even more baffling.

2 Likes

For all those having a go at our CB’s, remember Villa, had our best CB’s on show and because their midfield had time on the ball they cut us open as well. Interesting point the last time our starting midfield played together was against Villa.

2 Likes

We really let ourselves down in the 1st half. Gini was poor and Kieta nonexistant against a very experienced midfield that’s criminal.
Better second half where Gini looked half decent. Just didn’t look like we would get much change out of this now. So very depressing.
Mental minnows until we pull it off.

Zidane was just shouting the whole game , take on 66.

As I said rumours I.e. people guessing. The drop for Mane is staggering and it does coincide when he caught it.

Our strongest midfield 3 is Fabs, Thiago, Gini on current availability.

2 Likes

Watch the two goals it’s him walking and not pressing Kroos.

I’ve personally got nothing against the performance of our central defense this evening. The 6 that played in front of them however…

hold my beer

looney tunes rage GIF

7 Likes

TAA did his best to vindicate Southgate. At fault for all their goals.

Fabinho spent the whole game either walking or jogging.

Robertson offered nothing offensively and with a poorly taken corner started a counterattack that almost resulted in a 4th goal.

Wijnaldum couldn’t control the ball and couldn’t mark anyone.

Mane spent the whole game in Vasquez’s pocket. Truly pitiful.

Klopp wrong lineup and the team looked and played as if they hadn’t done any sort of preparation.

Most important game in the season and we saw a team that was embarrassingly bad in the first half and bang average in the second.

0/10

7 Likes