Post match: Sheffield Utd v Liverpool (EPL 28/2/21 7.15pm)

I do think Nat and Kabak deserve a bit of credit. Neither is regular PL issue, but they mostly got the job done, with some help from McBurnie. Got to throw some positive vibes their way and hope they both stay healthy.

9 Likes

Finally we see two actual CB playing in CB position. Formation tweak to help out at he back, with TAA slotting into a back three when out of posession, and Salah staying mostly out wide rather than coming in.

Adrian, our third choice, coming in, and kept things simple which he needed to do. He was confident in his punching today, so good to see.

Starting midfield did a lot of running, good to see. Curtis MotM, but all three made runs into the box.

Kabak is still a worry though. Sheff Utd targetted him for good reason, and almost benefited. Need to stop ball watching and letting his man get on the wrong side of him. Chelsea forward line will capitalize in this, so work in it.

So finally something different against a bottom half team. Finally a win. Keep this going for Chelsea on Thursday.

3 Likes

Delighted to win. That centre half pairing though? Gonner Kebab in the summer back to Germany.

1 Like

MOM i gave to 3 players Adrian , Natt and Curtis .
very good in general but defensively we are vulnerable and kabak didnt have a good game and Sheffield were able to run behind him at least 3 times, maybe it was because TAA was covering NATT .Tweaking the formation was helpful and TAA was a welcomed added protection and cover.
positives we won Leicester and Chelsea lost point
kieta, Millner is back hopefully jota and fabinho to follow
chelsea are a much better side and our front 3 will need to offer much better press than today

1 Like

Why is everyone slagging Kabak? Thought he was really good.

9 Likes

LFC will offer them £10m + Phillips…
He will be staying in my opinion

Both can improve hopefully. Neither are playing well, but for Kabak it is very early days, I won’t judge him too harshly yet observe that he is problematically weak at current (he is playing now in a different league, give him 2-3 more weeks to adjust). Nat can hopefully improve, he isn’t good enough for Liverpool’s first team, but he is what we got.
We have to support them and be hopeful that they can improve.

3 Likes

Whatever the opposition we’ve lost against worse this last few months.

Decent performance first half but their goalie did well credit to him, though we made it easy for him on a couple.

Second half Jones strike was beautiful and the second one fortunate for once.

Moss was decent throughout and VAR didn’t start drawing lines on close offsides, how VAR should be used in my view, officials called it the first goal correctly and well done for the Lino on that, he also called some marginals right in the first.

I’ve given it to Jones motm but some sensible performances throughout and the subs were correct by Klopp as Milner came in as the midfield was getting raggered.

As for Adrian he looked very awkward that first half and the saves weren’t really much to write home about but his second half with his feet and anticipation was spot on, though I think the one at the end of the half was off and he got lucky he did well to shut out any potential nervy last moments.

Anyhow they came to try and get free kicks from throw ins and launch it in, Moss didn’t fall for it and pretty much they ended up trying long throws that went nowhere. Also how long did they want to take on throw ins.

Wilder and his Sheffield United team were good last season, they won’t be missed once they go back down after this one.

Hopefully this isn’t another false dawn and something to really build on.

4 Likes

He switches off a lot and that allowed them run behind him but he’s only 20. Playing beside an experienced first team cb and I think he’d be more alert and those mistakes less frequent.

I thought he was fine, got caught but only one major issue and it was offside anyhow, I think he dealt really well once the ball had gone in behind him.

2 Likes

Thats Nice GIF

3 Likes

Just great to get a win!

1 Like

Kabak doesn’t pass the eye test for me. In his, albeit small sample, of games so far, has made too many similar mistakes. Especially against that dink ball over the top, and letting his man get on the wrong side of him, while he ball watches.

With N Phillips, we know what we get. Good at doing the simple things, can get brushed off against wiley opponents, but distributes the ball no nonsense.

With Kabak, I get no idea what he’s going to be doing. Feel that Klop playing him more for his raw attributes at the moment. Chelsea game will be a big test for him.

5 Likes

3 points seems like a big deal now.

MotM: Curtis Jones who was a huge presence in the middle. I know we were just seeing the game out but we felt blunted when he was subbed.

Trent had a good game. He seems to be falling back to a back 3 when we are defending but he looked more of a wing back today than he has done for a while.

Also kudos to Bobby. It may have taken a deflection but his build up play to that second goal was superb. This will have done his confidence a world of good.

5 Likes

Better but still not quite there. Was definitely more up for it compared to the shambles against the bitters but that’s not saying much. Movement and passing were ok, finishing on the other hand abysmal. Didn’t look convincing at the back particularly after Wilder’s subs. Kabak and Phillips need a lot of work.

We will need to play better to get top 4 starting from the chavs game on Thursday.

2 Likes

I’ll take the win whichever way it comes.
Nice change to be playing 2 centrehalves in their normal position.
They have a way to go as you’d expect but gave the others who aren’t injured a chance to play up the park a bit.
Can’t be bad!.

2 Likes

It’s 3:30 AM, I’m going to bed. Will open the Chelsea game thread tomorrow :wink:

3 Likes

With Kabak his recovery showed why he isn’t bad defender.

Also half of them were offside, well half 98% of them.

3 Likes

I know what you mean, but after a run of four defeats in the Prem, we just needed somehow to stop the rot. Imagine if that Kabak own goal wasn’t offside. The game would’ve been painful viewing.

2 Likes

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! :flushed:

3 Likes