Post match: UCL Atletico Madrid v Liverpool (UCL 19/10/2021 8pm)

On the corner, If you watch it, Milly was with him on the corner and marked the corner taker who moved inside, Keita just didn’t do his job by over- committing as he did for their 2nd goal and got roasted for me it was lazy defending.

2 Likes

Really hitting a strong vein of form going forward - even without the two goals he’s looked lively this year.

Really suspect defensively. Playing him on the right hand side of midfield is a mistake in my mind. On the left Robbo and Sadio work harder at the defensive side of the game and can cover Keita’s limitations. On the right he with Mo and Trent his presence causes issues. Not for the first time this season Trent spent a decent chunk of time 3v1 and there’s no full back on the planet who would do great in that situation. Also why I found it strange when so many people were slagging off Trent in the match thread. Yes, he’s not as good defensively as Robbo but the issues he was having today stemmed from the lack of effective cover from midfield.

I like Keita. There’s clearly a player in there and if he can stay fit it’ll be nice see him come good. His place is not on the right hand side though - Mo has more license to stay foward than the others in the front 3 and Trent has more license to get forward than Robbo. The midfielder on the right has to be more defensive minded to cover for this. Keita is not that midfielder - he should be on the left.

11 Likes

Does he actually speak or just appear angry and wave his arms around?

1 Like

Can’t speak at all…grunts.

1 Like

That’s also the narrative on the socials at the moment. I just don’t see it. Even from the most objective of viewpoints, I have zero idea how they were hard done.

Their first goal was questionable with various interpretations. But it was given regardless.

Griezmann leaving his studs in Bobby’s cheek is a straight red in any match, in any league. Intentional or not, it’s reckless play.

Their foul on Jota was a stone cold pen.

Their cry for a pen was overturned after VAR looked at it. Jota has to be more careful, but it was clearly a dive.

I was actually surprised by their emotionally out of control reactions to all of those situations. Other than their cry for a pen, the other situations were clear as day. Simeone is a madman, we all know that, but for a man of his tenure and experience he takes things too far.

EDIT: does Griezmann’s red mean he misses the last 3 group matches?

11 Likes

I’ll have to watch it again, sure Keita was poor defensively on both of their goals however I expect that.
I think Klopp was a bit cavalier playing both Keita and Milner both struggled (Milner in possession as well) whilst he, Klopp, had Fabinho on the bench (He seems to do this in CL away in Spain or should i say Madrid).
Anyway surely this is pointing to Keita leaving soon and at a loss to us financially, no?

MotM for Alisson. We were a mess at the back but he kept us in it. Also a nod to Mo. He was relatively quiet tonight but he really is at the peak of his powers at the moment - a joy to watch.

I’m trying to think of a single player for Atletico that isn’t a complete twat. I looked through their team sheet. It was just twat, twat, twat, twat, twat that plays for England, twat that used to play for us, twat, twat, Simeone…

I didn’t think the referee was up to much but at least he saw through one blatant dive.

I’m not looking forward to the return match but we are in a remarkably good position right now. It’s not beyond possibility that we could wrap this up by the next game.

1 Like

Tbf a weaker ref would have given into their shite

1 Like

Depending on which article you look up, he might already be the highest paid Manager in the world

1 Like

We can defend Keita, but at the end of the day he got hooked at half time, and that’s not a great sign.

The problem I have with him is that his defensive has got to shit, and especially in the tackle and on 50/50s. It’s probably confirmation bias on my part, but don’t remember him actually winning a ball in a challenge.

4 Likes

Apparently, he is a cousin of Tano Pasman’s.

Agree with the twat, twat, twat, especially the English cheating twat

…Hendo just deck him on the next England training session…

1 Like

Saw the MOTM and immediately thought Mo, then thought about it and change my mind to Ali. Correct call imo, Ali kept us alive.

The defence was really brutal, all of them. I have no idea how a forward can have the freedom of the field, on the halfway, with two of the best defenders in the world so close to each other that you couldn’t distinguish their shadows. VVD and Matip, rating 5 because I have my red tinted glasses on.

I also have no idea how every long ball or hoofed clearance found their wings and were basically unchallenged. Trent and Robbo rating 5, because I have my red tinted glasses on. Offered very little in attack. Horrible passing.

Midfield was weak defensively till Fab came on. Naby was decent offensively, but weak defensively. Milner solid all round. Hendo average both defensively and offensively. Ox was good enough, probably above average, top 2 or 3 in midfield, with Naby and Hendo 4th and 5th best.

Forwards were ok, Mo excellent, Mane and Bobby not that good. Jota not even as good as them unfortunately, gone off form.

Now, don’t care about the above because the most despicable, disgusting, horrible, cheating, horrendous, revolting, atrociously scummy team, with a bunch of scum bag players, managed by a scum bag, got exactly what they deserved. Just loved it. Suck and choke on that karma, you hideous bunch of plague infested, diving vermin.

Also just realized that the guy who ripped us apart, can’t play in the next leg. Glad we get the benefit of that red card twice.

11 Likes

No, he was good and MOTM material along with Salah.
I overlooked Alisson, yet yes he made the one save when he was left high and dry by our CBs (who seemed to drop off to sleep quite often in the first half). Then there was another save which I don’t recall very well. I just don’t see 2 saves much action however they were magnificent.

2 Likes

Ali UEFA Man of the Match

7 Likes

Was that for persauding the ref that AM didn’t deserve a penalty? :wink: :rofl:
Saw him arguing very well, seemed like the one with the best arguements.

Well put…although I’d prefer an offside goal and a dodgy penalty.

2 Likes

Agree about Keita. VVD was poor for the second goal as well. Not sure why he turned the opposite way leaving his back to the play losing sight of the ball in the process.

1 Like

Henderson was below par again. Starting to have too many passengers in midfield.

1 Like

I also enjoyed how simeone got stopped by the fourth official as he went to try and influence the penalty decision

4 Likes