Post Match: Villa v Liverpool (FAC 8/1/21 7.45pm)

Terrible first half performance, one of the worst in Klopp’s reign. To struggle to break down that Villa side was embarrassing.

As soon as we started passing it around with a bit of speed we scored 3 very easy goals.

A number of senior players should be worried about their performances tonight, including the 3 captains we had on the pitch.

Thiago and Shaqiri added the missing technical quality, hopefully they can both stay avaliable if football does continue.

12 Likes

6 6 6 the number of the beast.

I know it was a training run for him but wow what a stylish player.

2 Likes

What a difference some technical players who pass fast, move fast, play with unpredictability in our midfield make…

When we stopped the aimless side to side snail pace passing resulting in a cross or long ball to no-one we simply went up several levels.

Hopefully food for thought for Klopp, change it up, we dont always need the workman midfield when our fullbacks aren’t the creative Robbo and Trent… Even when it is, ask them to drop back, allow a creative midfielder to shift the dynamic and focus of our attack.

A glimmer of hope emerging, he’s called Thiago. What a beautiful player.

13 Likes

I’d say young Rhys looks great and has performed well, but that ball in behind really exposes his lack of pace. If it wasn’t for that, I’d be happy going with him.

4 Likes

When was kick off this evening? I thought chief coach Trump decided to throw the fans under the bus…

2 Likes

Would like Shaqiri to have more cameos like that by the way, rarely goes backwards which our lot kept doing first half.

8 Likes

Fixed it for you.

Now that he is (hopefully) fully recovered from his hair transplant, it’d be nice to see him start a few games. Bobby and Mo have been crap lately.

11 Likes

His Jack Russell terrier football brain gets a whiff of goal and he’s off.

Glen Moray Speyside Single Malt, I’ll look out for that.

Anyway, as to the game! What a player Thiago is. I made a comment about our passing in the pre game thread. Thiago changed all that with a whole range of passes that were a lot more incisive. Glad to be through. Hope Monday’s draw is kind to us.

COYR YNWA :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Call me negative but I’m worried. I thought we were poor. Understand they wouldn’t have had a shot if it weren’t for Hendo/Rhys error but our build up and attacking play was dull. Thiago changed the game alongside Shaq but they shouldn’t be needed. We keep crossing and we have no height in the box but that’s when our crossing is good which it isn’t no more. We need an option B whenever that is a 4-2-3-1 or a change in system. I think our midfield need to be braver on the ball (bar Thiago and Shaq) we pass sideways to often to then cross. Up top Sadio and Mo seem toothless. I’d blame that more on fatigue personally but we seem very predictable. I can tell where we pass and how we build up nevermind a opposition coach who’s job it is to watch us play. Needs a rethink personally or this season will not go ideally

4 Likes

Oh totally agree, I just feel he isn’t appreciated so much, but evidently is a talent when fit.

3 Likes

To be honest the second half is what gave me hope, Thiago has to start.

3 Likes

Of what I saw of the 1st half we were crap. Putting ourselves under pressure and Salah what woefulness.
Salah in the second half was much better made decisions and used teammates around him helping to create oportunities where we scored.
Yet the win didn’t bring a smile to my face we should have been 0-7 up after the 1st half. Just managed to pull my head above the pit walls dug by our lads in the 1st half.

1 Like

What is it with Scotch drinkers? They’re always trying to make the rest of us look like we have no idea how to use a text bot.

1 Like
7 Likes

The high line defending is getting ridiculous, if at anytime our midfield loses the ball they are in behind us, both of our defenders are good but slow much more slower than van dijk or gomez . attacking again slow and predictable improved 2nd half but still not great.
we are missing fabinho and kieta in the middle .

2 Likes

We needed that. Poor start and mid second half we woke up. Had players in the box and cut out the continuous aimless crossing game. It was nice… :grin:
Hope we remember it in the next game? Thiago was the catalyst for the change in play…what a player he is.
Hoping that’s the last we see of this slump and push on now.

1 Like

I’ll take a Glenkinchie, 12 year old single malt.

1 Like

I stopped reading your post at ‘scotch’…

5 Likes

First half embarrassing. But it’s not that we’re crap or become crap. We were unprofessional, sloppy. Some of our creative players are fit again, others nearly or soon will be fit.
At least 2 of our goals came from crosses. Not a bad return for a team ‘crap at crosses, poor in the air’.
Thiago will be our ace up our sleeve. Hopefully he’s deemed fit enough to start against manure. Because that was good practice against Villa as manure will play the same way.

1 Like