Post Match: Villa v Liverpool (FAC 8/1/21 7.45pm)

What’s a text bot? I just googled it and still don’t know.

:nerd_face:

3 Likes

I’m not reading too much into this game. Ridiculously one sided, as one might expect, but the Villa kids did themselves proud - essentially solid and only going to bits for 5 minutes in the second half.

We are still not looking ourselves. For some reason whenever we get a much needed break in the schedule it seems to ruin our form. However, Thiago looked the real deal when he came on and may just provide that much needed bite through the centre so my MotM. Also voted for Mané and Shaqiri who looked above average.

I really think we need another senior centre back. Williams and Philips are far from the finished product and we can’t go sacrificing midfielders for ever. I think there is to be a financial statement soon and I suspect it is far from healthy. However, most other clubs are in the same position and it is likely that a CB is out there for less than market value. If we can get one for the future we should go for them. There is only so long that we can make do and mend.

3 Likes

I didn’t want to jinx this game…so followed on tia and tan…and kept glancing at the TV…

2 Likes

That’s because you typed sex bot by mistake and got distracted.

7 Likes
3 Likes

By mistake? Maybe, maybe not. :wink:

4 Likes

Just worry about poor Villa now though. Breaks my heart it does to think of them being depleted in games against our real rivals.

1 Like

What- they’re playing the refs? :thinking:

10 Likes

TIA site embarrassing themselves with the headline ‘Liverpool survive scare’.

What is it with narratives today. The result was never in doubt. What annoyed me is the laiscadaisical attitude we showed. I don’t want to be watching poor passing, poor control, bad decisions.

Also what is the need to say Hendo, Mo, Gini etc is crap. They played crap today but they are not crap players.

1 Like

One thing I will say. Curtis Jones has all the talent in the world but he should have a good look at Thiago and take a leaf out of his book. He should have been running the show.

I’m done With Taki. He’s absolutely pants. His feet are like a pin ball machine. He’s got a good attitude etc, very likeable but he’s nowhere near the level we need.

If we took our chances in the first half we would have been 4 -1 at the break, Thiago and Shaqiri were both excellent and changed it in the second half. Rhys is a big worry he runs like he has lead boots :hiking_boot:, fingers crossed Matip is back for utd. A bit strange we are the only club in the fa cup that has drawn a pl club four years in a row at this stage.

3 Likes

No obviously I meant our real rivals. Not our nemesis.

1 Like

Amazing what mixing it up will do instead of crossing the ball incessantly. Hopefully the penny has dropped.

Enjoyed Neco Williams’ game. He played his heart out. The other Williams also played well, apart from the goal which wasn’t entirely his fault.

And there is that number six that seems to make everything better when he plays.

Destroy the mancs.

5 Likes

There is the problem of how we lose the ball, I know Fabs was a midfielder but when he loses the ball now that puts immense pressure on Rhys.
At times in the 1st half our midfield looked more intent on helping AV than keeping posession.

Call me a moaner, but I think Rhys is too slow for a back four high up the pitch.

11 Likes

Yep, thought the same myself tonight. He got done big style; wonder whether Klopp will abandon ideas of using him. Thats two appearances in a row.

3 Likes

Teams will undoubtedly attack Rhys’s channel now so that needs some thought on how to offer protection against that or who plays in that slot. Awkward because he does everything else adequately IMO.

Thiago and Shaqiri changed the game for us so credit to them. I think Thiago will be critical for the remainder of the season. if he settled well and stays fit we will win games. Lose him and I think we may struggle a little more given the pressures on the midfield as it stands.

I also want to put a word in on Mo. People moan like hell at Minamino and that is right but gees Salah doesn’t half cough up possession or selfishly holds the ball too long / miss the better pass at times. Also this tit for tat between him and Mane at the moment I think is starting to work against us at times

6 Likes

He didn’t really he is decent and could improve to be very good but those saves were relatively easy though we’ve seen more experienced play far worse.

Does deserve man of the match for them mind, as he had the mindset to push them wide when even Kelleher can be guilty of pushing them back into play.

2 Likes

In a post match I try not to be too negative but after the first half I was really depressed the passing was very slow and every player was taking too much time releasing the ball especially Salah hecouldhave passed the ball to a free player to score but instead shot at a defender and contrast that last year he was running his socks off and his passing was crisp and at speed? I hope they go back to playing as a team to get a few goals scored early regardless who scores thankfully Thiago and Shaq moved the ball swiftly and smoothly and Bobby also helped to reestablish the fluidity in our play big sigh of relief in the second half. I hope we get Matip and Jota back soon as well.

10 Likes
3 Likes