Post Match: Villa v Liverpool (FAC 8/1/21 7.45pm)

Tonight in the 1st half Salah was woedul. Poor decissions didn’t use his partners. 2nd half he was much better combining with Minamino for Gini’s well struck goal and scored himself which just goes to show what he can do if he makes the good decission at the good time.

3 Likes

I take post match as the let off steam moment pile in and say it as I see it trying not to be too silly (which is difficult for me). It’s better than in any other thread like a players thread where the discussion can go on too long. Just get it over and done with I say. :grinning:

3 Likes

Mo has done so much for this club that you just have to cut him a bit of slack now and then. He can be frustrating, and I wish he could just occasionally use his right foot, but he is a legend. That being said, if he goes for silly money in the summer and we get a younger alternative, it might not be the end of the world.

9 Likes

I watched the first half with much frustration! It was too much for me to carry on and watch the second half so I decided to rev up my disability scooter and head to the waterfront - not to jump in the river though!!! It was like watching the S’ton game! They really needed a rocket up their collective backsides!
I’ve just watched the highlights and was drooling over our beast of a number 6! My word he is some player is Tiago! Unlucky not to score. Shaq looked good too, maybe Jurgen should have started him instead of Mini?
Anyway, back to winning ways!!!

3 Likes

M’Part-ex?

1 Like

1-1 at HT was the biggest freak scoreline you’ll ever see. For all the moaners, we all fucking know that midfield is going to lack creativity against a parked bus and that was compounded by the 2 lads with the most assists over the last 3 seasons being on the bench.
Ok, Villa had a team full of reserves but they are at a PL club for a reason, they were well drilled and highly motivated so it’s not just a case of turning up and banging 5 or 6 past them in the first 20 minutes.
Yes, we could and should have scored more and we reverted to knocking aimless crosses into the box just like we do any other time we are faced with the same problem. Nothing new to see here.
The answer to the problem was evident 2nd half. Tiago is a fucking wonderful footballer and if he can stay fit and stay away from cloggers like Richarlison we will reap the rewards. Shaqiri made a difference to a lesser extent and I just hope Jurgen takes notice and is braver with his selections for these sides who’s sole aim is to sit deep and smother us. Might be a case of one of the front 3 missing out against the bus parkers in future because we’ve become so predictable in our attacking play.
Only downside for me was Williams being exposed again, not digging the lad out but if he plays next week against the pace of Rashford and Martial it could get messy. The failure to bring in another CB this window is looking more and more negligent I’m afraid.

7 Likes

ESPN+ ! Viewed the entire event. While cooking! :smile:

3 Likes

My phone must have been broken?

2 Likes

Not at all hyperbolic to say Thiago covered literally every blade of grass on the pitch. He was everywhere. I get it, quality of opposition and all that, but he was playing an entirely different speed than everyone else. I actually thought it brought out the best in Millie. Late in the match he was dipping into his “old dog” bag of ball handling skills. Dropping his shoulder, turning his man completely around. He looked like he was having fun.

7 Likes

I think this may be the reason:
Age of Aston Villa’s starting XI when James Milner made his professional debut for Leeds in November 2002:

Onodi - 1
Bridge - 2
Revan - 2
Walker - 2
Rowe - 3
Chrisene - Not born
Barry - Not born
Kesler - Two weeks old
Sylla - Not born
Raikhy - Three weeks old
Bogarde - Not born

3 Likes

I’m still puzzled about why Klopp started with Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Mane. Anyways, no injuries, no harm done.

1 Like

Jurgen Klopp’s team selection last night was more a reaction to Liverpool’s recent struggles in the Premier League and a desire to see confidence and momentum restored. He was also wary of key personnel going too long between matches. #awlfc [@JamesPearceLFC]

5 Likes

I was puzzled also but by half time i realized why. :grin:

Yeah, that’s why we should have started with Thiago and Shaqiri :blush:

I’m trying to but I feel it’s really halting our ability to score goals now.

I also had similar feelings about Coutinho to be honest. Frustrating as and then pulls out a worldy

1 Like

Fab is doing Great as a centre half .
Would nt be surprised if he’s long term partner for Virgil .
Midfield of hendo Thiago gini .
Can move forward into midfield if needed

For a while towards the end of the first half, I started to worry that we were about to be subjected to an unwanted treble of our kids getting battered by their first team (in the League Cup), our best 11 getting battered by their first 11 (in October), and finally our best 11 being humiliated by their kids.

If we go out, we go out to a good side, or we go out with our kids. Not with our best 11 to kids.

That would have crushed us mentally, and whilst it shouldn’t have taken making changes to sort things, thankfully it did and we won.

I’d like us to do well in the FA Cup, it’s about time we did so, and for this current period to become a truly successful era, we need to add a few domestic cups like the FA Cup, League Cup and Community Shield to the international equivalents (World Club Cup and Super Cup).

Since 1990, Arsenal, United, City and Chelsea have all won the domestic trophies in and around their PL titles.

This period of say five years, including the last three, when we got close to the CL three years ago, then the title, winning one CL and one PL, together with the current season and next, also needs to bring another PL title and perhaps another CL, for it to be comparable to the eras of our past.

I outlined some of the issues affecting us after the Southampton match, and what I will say is that the mark of true winners is the drive to keeping winning things, and the determination and ruggedness to see off all the efforts of others - especially the English - to pull successful people down a peg or two.

Whilst mental and physical fatigue, injuries and refereeing have hit us, a few of our lads are showing signs of complacency, coupled with a bit of arrogance and cockiness. It shows itself in fancy flicks and tricks instead of keeping it simple and effective.

Interestingly, some it is being seen in the likes of Jones, who has a long way to go before he’s even half justified in thinking he’s the bees knees and strutting around like he’s been doing. He moaned about playing time, then has got a bit cocky after a few good performances. He should have been all over that midfield last night.

One other issue is that we seem to be trying to conserve energy in the way we’re playing, using keep ball but not really doing a lot with it. That’s better when the match is won.

What is clear above all else, is that our central defensive situation is undermining us and it staggers me that the club will not address it this month.

We’ve needed to upgrade Gomez and Matip to a more reliable partner for VVD for two years. We knew when we had three other senior CB’s beyond VVD, that they were all unreliable on the injury front and essentially it took three of them to muster enough senior appearances to fill the slot alongside VVD over a season. To bank on VVD’s continued availability was a gamble, he was due an injury, albeit nobody expected the sort of injury he got.

Williams getting done like that by a 17 year old was another huge indication of his level and readiness. It’s one thing to argue that a signing of our usual nature won’t be possible this month, but we clearly need a third option for central defence who is better than Williams and Philips.

There are loads of CBs who could be signed affordably or on loan who would be better than those two. All they have to do is come in when Matip is out (half the time), and do the basics right, thus providing the platform for the rest of the side to prosper.

Philips and Williams are not going to even do that against top opposition regularly, or when the pressure is on.

As to the long term, personally I have never thought Gomez good enough to be the main partner for VVD. I wouldn’t want Gomez in our back four in a crucial CL semi final leg against top opponents. Matip is good enough, but his availability will never be able to be counted on.

As to Fabinho, yes he has the class to play centre back, he arguably is the next best CB after VVD, certainly he’s a higher level than Gomez, but rarely do you find top class DM’s like him.

For me, two quality centre backs with Fab at DM, Hendo pushed on, and either Thiago or Gini as the third, is way better than Fab at CB with Hendo as the DM.

Not sorting the centre back scenario last summer concerned me, the high line tactic - especially with the current personnel - also begs questions of the decision making, and not doing anything about the centre backs this month would absolutely stagger me.

God help us against United if either of Williams or Phillips is at centre back, United will get a couple of penalties for sure.

We need to sign a centre back before the United match, that is very clear.

Why undermine the efforts of a billion dollar squad for a few million in transfer fees and wages?

5 Likes

What has Jones done now?

Some seem to have a problem with Scouse players playing for us. As soon as their form drops it’s arrogance.

Tiresome.

5 Likes

He’d have to be exceptional for me to want to see a new CB dropped straight into the first XI against United. Not just better than Williams and Phillips, but a lot better.

2 Likes

Personally I think Williams or Phillips will get ripped up by United’s forwards, and it wouldn’t take much for a new player to be way better than either.

2 Likes