Post match: Villarreal v Liverpool (UCL 3/5/22 8pm)

What type of psychotic kindergarten did you go to?

Arnold Schwarzenegger Shut Up GIF

1 Like

Fantastic game this. Villarreal got to show a different side of themselves, well deserved lead at the break.

But it was a step too far in the end. Really excellent second half from Liverpool. Third final in five years, amazing.

Incredible adventure for Villarreal, they shouldnā€™t go this far, but thatā€™s a reason why football is what it is. Itā€™s not always about money, even though in the end it often is. Brilliant from their fans after the game, saluting the team for their effort.

3 Likes

Villarreal were terrific. They passed well, pressed well, rattled and took Liverpool out of their rhythm. Almost perfect. But Liverpool were better :grin:. And, why?! Why?! Why?! Do we have to suffer through a horrible half to reach ā€œ the promise landā€?! YNWA

2 Likes

Yeah. Most of us had Tsimi as starting this match. Robbo was below par, and a wee rest wouldā€™ve done him good for the weekend.

He also kept coming inside, rather than bombing down on the left touchline. That meant no link up between Mane and him in the first half.

Still, can understand the decision to play him as heā€™s one of our generals.

3 Likes

I rarely leave the game thread bc I understand and respect the emotions that come with football, but I left tonight.

I felt like some were panicking and bailing on our boys in the single biggest moment of our European campaign, when everything was going against us. Seemed very little margin for rational discussion.

Completely over the moon for our boys. What a win!

#luischaos

4 Likes

You should leave it more often. :wink:

2 Likes

Thought KonatƩ had a strong match too.

1 Like

And BTW, we broke the record of still being able to win the quad by date (fuck I still can explain this easily), previous record held by Liverpool.

2 Likes

I said it after the Inter game (San Siro) and itā€™s been the same in quite a few others this season - you have to be good against this Liverpool side for 90 minutes. Teams can make us look normal for 45, or 50, but after that you see them wilt.

This game reminded me of that Inter game or Arsenal at the Emirates, only we were much better those two games. Villareal put everything into that first half, we were crap, they won the half. Second half it was one way traffic as we improved and they couldnā€™t keep it up.

Diaz, outrageous. The guy is worth the admission fee alone. Superstar.

15 Likes

Also there are other factors, like the crowd, how the other team plays, the hectic schedule etc

1 Like

Lol I might have to!

Enjoy the night lads and lasses, see you lot in Paris! :heart:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So much boiled piss out there. They were all so happy at HT, no doubt.

5 Likes

Never been more confident in the ability of a player to influence the game from the bench than Diaz. A ball of energy and skill. Almost Suarez like in how he just demands to be the centre of attention.

12 Likes

Wouldnā€™t be Liverpool if we didnā€™t have a heart attack along the way!

4 Likes

Imagine what heā€™ll be like after a pre-season.

5 Likes

It was nice to see Mane in a good mood, smiling as well.

5 Likes

Why the fuck havenā€™t we seen this celebration yet?

Luis Diaz Dance :rofl: - YouTube

1 Like

There was that whole ā€˜mentality monstersā€™ period, but I havenā€™t heard that term for yonks.

Fact is, though, this squad and manager still has not given us a single, solid reason to doubt them in any match, at any time.

It is deadset glorious.

7 Likes
4 Likes

Suarez really is the best comparison - a lot more pace, not as much of a goal threat butā€¦ the relentless pressing, decision making, hold up play, link up play, skill, touchā€¦all reminiscent of Suarez.

Just as thereā€™s no obvious way to beat Van Dijk at the other end of the pitch, Diaz is an equally tough puzzle to solve. Heā€™ll do you 1v1, heā€™ll time those runs in behind, heā€™ll drop off and play the right pass.

I actually think heā€™s been the best player at the club since heā€™s joined.

17 Likes