Post Match: West Ham - Liverpool (PL; 7/11/21)

Saïd Benrahma, who shat on rouges today.

1 Like

Really? Just checked the stats on him: a number of key tackles, one key interception, bunch of ball recoveries and passes on the counter. He’s been that good all season as well.

1 Like

I did think goalies were protected…3rd goal Antonio had a push on Ali…but no free kick…or has the goalie protection been thrown in the bin…

More why isn’t our team defending him, didn’t even learn either same shite every corner. We’ve lost all street smarts.

3 Likes

I said he was good! :wink:

Where’s the poll. I need to vote.

Thiago was awful when he came on.
He’s so slow and obvious with his passing.
It’s like he is in his own time zone and can’t see the pace of game around him

5 Likes

Who will you vote for Declan Rice?

He definitely outplayed Hendo anyway. Not really sure where his head was at today. :thinking:

Easy to look solid when your team is set up to be narrow with banks of four (plus the pitch looking like it has been further narrowed). Henderson was very energetic. His role was to lead the press high up, which i feel was the wrong tactic with Bobby missing.

With TAA being instructed to come into the centre, we didn’t stretch the play well down the right.

Place Henderson 10 yards back, with Ox further forward would’ve solved that issue.

Liverpool players obviously :roll_eyes:

Very disjointed game for us, I think we loss control of midfield hence we lose the game. Kudos to the Hammers, they were obviously up for the game and defended well against our attack. We couldn’t break them down and they gave us plenty of trouble on the counter. We won’t be the only team to have trouble against them this year they’re legit top 6 team.
We really need to buy a star midfielder in the next transfer window. I feel with what we have is not enough to win the league. If only Stevie is still playing :sweat_smile:. Too many times today we loss the ball midfield and the backline was left exposed. If it wasn’t for VVD and Matip we would’ve been in big trouble. Their set-piece goal is it is what it is, can’t defend them all. The more worrying thing for me is the midfield.
The front three did ok, I felt Mane sometimes takes the safe option too much, at those close spaces in the final third, he needs to drive at the defender to create space for the runners. He doesn’t do enough of that and it allows westham to setup their defense.
Not the result we wanted but I feel this was always gonna be a banana peel kind of game after an emotional win mid-week in the champions league.

It’s gonna be a tough stretch in Nov, see you all in two weeks

YNWA

3 Likes

That is exactly what my point was. When you start to see players not starting based on merit it does send the wrong message. I know I’ve played sports since I was young.

You telling me we looked a team mentally up for this game? We were shit from the first minute and never looked like winning.

For me our mentality has been dripping away for awhile now, and central to that is the faith shown to some players. Heads dropping easily, no fight being shown, yet the same players performing poorly starting over and over.

Play players based on current form, not what they delivered in the past.

If he can get a run of games to get up to speed he should be in our first choice midfield but I can see it been a problem trying to keep him injury free

1 Like

That’s nonsense, Hedo had a good game and held his own. Hendo even amazed me with some slick control that I/we don’t usually see. This loss was not down to the midfield or Declan Rice!
Try looking at Alisson and/or our defense at corners!

2 Likes

Disappointed with the third WH goal. A deep corner should not have a completely free centreback heading the ball.

Defence at corners was poor, but that’s two weeks in a row where our midfield has looked rudderless, lost key battles, conceded possession too easily and just generally been too easy to play through. If anything, VVD and Matip were left cleaning up the mess quite often.

1 Like

We looked as good as we could considering Millie is out. It was always going to be a physical challenge and that’s not our forté.
We looked good for large parts of the match we fell down at corners and moments of lack of concentration giving the ball away cheaply. That’s us!
That’s not going to change by the selection of 1 player over another!

Alisson had a shocker, Andy out of form , Fabinho no pace when bypassed in midfield, Thiago gave away possession half a dozen times and too slow on the ball, Minamino easily shrugged off the ball, mane couldn’t hit a barn door with a ##### .

1 Like

That seemed like one tired performance. Lacked urgency and seemed like we were seeing the game off having a nice lead rather than trailing behind. West Ham were very difficult to break and the lack of movement didn’t help either. Slow and lacked imagination. When we are out of form, somehow 6-7 players seem off their game.

Bad time for international break, would have preferred a game quickly after this to forget this and a chance for team to respond to this. Need more consistency, those shitty 1-0 wins. Solid defense is a key to that and winning the title. Hope it’s sorted post the break.

1 Like