Post match: Wolves v Liverpool (EPL 28/9/24 5.30pm)

I’ll try and post City’s stats alongside.

Wolves always give us a tough game. We usually win, but it’s never a walk in the park.

There are also far from being the worst team in the division. The table lies, especially at the point in the season. Their opening fixtures have been brutal.

6 Likes

I’m really not that worried about yesterday’s result. We won. Most of the reports I’d seen regarding Wolves before the match was that they played far better than their recent results would indicate. I wasn’t expecting us to emerge with a 10:0 victory.

3 points is fine. My only concern was about the fuck up for the conceded goal. I’m sure that will be discussed by Slot and his team at the next training session.

1 Like

In recent history, we’ve often had problems against teams in the bottom three. Having looked at the highlights, I think the lads gave a good account of themselves. The way the 1-1 was conceded was incredibly sloppy of course, but otherwise, Wolves did barely get a sniff at our goal.

Upfront, a couple of top notch chances were saved by the goalie or narrowly missed, otherwise we’d look at a 4-1 win here. Against a team which still has the newly-promoted dopamine running through its veins, away from home, to win the game is a real plus. At a moment in the season when top teams can easily experience blips (look at Cheaty), we took the three points.

Of course, we will have to improve against better sides, but after our recent games, I’m not that worried to be honest. I think our lads will rise to the challenge. :+1:

2 Likes

Honestly I blame @Rambler

4 Likes

It’s fine margins as far as we are concerned.

We’ve been in positions where even upwards of 95 haven’t won us the leagues (thanks to the cheats).

The margins of error for us in this league are very small. Wins against the teams we should be beating helps us offset the losses against the better teams to a large extent.

It depends on what you define as problems though? If we’re talking about actual results, we generally don’t. Bar the odd freak result, especially when we’re not having a good season in general, we usually come away with the points.

There are no “teams we should be beating” except all of them by that logic.

Again, we have dropped far more points elsewhere.

I didn’t mean necessarily in terms of results, but we struggle to impose ourselves on them. It’s normal, they fight for their lives. However, without looking at the stats, it seems to me that we’ve had more upsets against bottom three clubs than against anyone else. Maybe I’m wrong about that.

1 Like

Completely agree. We couldn’t even get the basics of passing the ball ten yards at times. Some on here complaining that a lot of us are whinging but that’s just how it was last night.

There was a story told by one of the contributors on the Anfield Wrap about going away to Norwich in the 80s and cruising to a routine victory. As the fifth went in, a lad behind him shouted “it’s a good job they are rubbish, cos we’ve been fucking shite today”

10 Likes

I think over several seasons, that might be right - but you have at least two seasons in that where we properly went on really awful runs and couldn’t buy a win from anywhere. I’m sure that skews the stats.

2 Likes

Was thinking about it in the context of the assumption that we will win a good percentage of point no matter what. Within that assumption, making sure we do not come off worse against our rivals seems more consequential.

I honestly don’t understand this complaint. Our game management has been good in every game we’ve led this season. We weren’t at our best yday but they never looked like creating anything. Was just one fuck up, which can happen, then we scored straight after

2 Likes

Or fools :kissing_heart:

More likely.

Definitely xxx

Piece of piss…

1 Like

What’s happened to Dom?

Started like a house on fire and has really tailed off. Thought he’d start this season well, kind of did it back to the dross from end of last season.

Carrying a knock? Not happy at home?

Worried about his stalker.

Isn’t that right, Matty? :wink:

4 Likes