Post match: Wolves v Liverpool (EPL 28/9/24 5.30pm)

Were you satisfied by our level of play? I sure hope that Slot wasn’t. Just the way we conceded the goal was enough to leave a bad taste in your mouth, from no one marking Lemina in the middle to the comedy of errors at the back.

We need to improve, we’ve had an easy schedule so far. This type of performances won’t cut it against better opposition.

2 Likes

Now….that is a sensible and balanced response. I agree that a win is a win and every one should be a reason to celebrate. We are top of the table and it feels good.

2 Likes

Arsenal won with two injury time goals vs the mighty Leicester. After Califiori should have had a red card. They are vaunted among the teams “better” than us.

A more composed Newcastle could/would have beaten City. The same City that needed injury time and a red card to draw with Arsenal. They are seen as being better than us.

We are settling under a new manager, new season, new expectations. All after the joyous whirlwind of Klopp.

We realistically never thought about winning the league this season? Now we are whining aboutlack of performance away from home and going top of the league…

6 Likes

It was worse than I thought :flushed:

1 Like

Apologies
Corrected

I’m only moaning about the fact that we lost to Nottingham.

I’m not happy with the performance against Wolves. We should have had more control over the game and more goals as well too.

I’ll still be taking the 3 points but we will have to step up the game against all opposition.

Thats a fair critique.
With the caveat that we are settling into a new regime. A different Liverpool.
We won a few games like this in the title winning seasons as well.
The Forest game has us all stumped as to why?
Maybe its part of a new learning curve.

2 Likes

Yeah I mean what kind of title-winning team drops points to relegation-tier teams?

3 Likes

It’s always been done before. Title winning sides have been upset before. That’s the very nature of the game.

We had a shocker against Watford.

We shouldn’t have lost against both the teams. We would be more outraged against the Watford loss had it come at a stage when the title was still in play.

1 Like

The other point I’m trying to make is that our guys (even under Klopp) don’t maintain the same intensity against the so called lesser opponents.

We keep having this problem when we don’t replicate the performances against United , Milan against the likes of Forest , Wolves.

We need to do that if we want to be winning leagues. It’s tough enough to compete with the cheats and shithouses in City , Arsenal , Chelsea without complicating it by lackluster performances against teams that should be beaten relatively straight forwardly. Not to mention the routine idiocy and corruption that the PGMOL does against us.

This isn’t just a Slot problem , we’ve had these performances when Klopp was there too.

3 Likes

Last season, we dropped points against:

• Chelsea (away) – 6
  • Spurs (away, thanks to cheating) – 5
  • Brighton (away) – 11
  • Luton (away) – 18 (if I recall correctly, both Arsenal and City needed generous decisions from the officials to come away with 3 points)
  • City (home and away) – 1
  • United (home and away) – 8
  • Arsenal (home and away) – 2
  • Crystal Palace (home) – 10
  • Everton (away) – 15, but could have been 12 if not for points deduction
  • West Ham (away) – 9
  • Aston Villa (away) – 4

Tell me again, how we keep having problems with winning games against the lesser teams?

Thankfully though, the team surrounding the coaching staff look at actual data and not vibes™.

1 Like

We shouldn’t be dropping points against a lot of teams 10 and below. I’d even say that United quality wise didnt play as a top 10 side.

We won’t be winning titles if we keep losing those points/matches.

In 2018-19:

• Chelsea (away) – 3
  • Arsenal (away) – 5
  • Leicester (home) – 9
  • West Ham United (home) – 10
  • United (away) – 6
  • Everton (away) – 8
1 Like

We were closer to winning in 18-19. A better result against the 9th and 10th placed teams would have ensured it

Are you agreeing to my point ?

In 2021-22:

• Chelsea (home and away) – 3
  • Brentford (away) – 13
  • Brighton (home) – 9
  • West Ham United (away) – 7
  • Spurs (home and away) – 4
  • Leicester (home) – 8
1 Like

No, your original contention is that we’ve had problems with those teams in the past, which is emphatically factually incorrect.

By your logic, a team that lost to Wolves (14) last season, drew with Palace at home (10) shouldn’t be winning the league?

The number of times matters as well. The likes of City routinely breeze pass through those oppositions. We don’t.

Is it more important to make sure we do not lose points to the top 6 rather than the odd loss to a bottom 6 team? I’m undecided or too lazy to stare into the stats/teas leaves to be honest.

They very much don’t. You just have the vibes™ that they do. They very much struggle. You just don’t see that because you’re a Liverpool fan.

Your original contention has been proven to be false. Now you’ve shifted the goalposts, but guess what?

City lost at home and drew away to Crystal Palace (12) and drew home and away with Southampton (15) in 2021-22.

They do not “routinely breeze through these oppositions”.

No, it’s more important to win the damn points no matter where they come from.

But to suggest we have had a systemic issue with winning points against the lower-placed teams that has prevented us from winning the league is factually incorrect.

1 Like