Post match: Wolves v Liverpool (EPL 28/9/24 5.30pm)

Or Ludo. As in the old West Ham and QPR goalkeeper.

1 Like

Possession today was 45%- 55%, not what Iā€™m talking about and most of our possession is passing it round at the back. Iā€™m talking about the midfielders controlling the game and dominating the tempo.

2 Likes
1 Like

Apart from Gravenberch I really canā€™t think who else would merit being MOTM. :thinking:
I feel like Iā€™ve seen that match over and over again down the years, we come away with 3 points having done our level best to gift the opposition a way back into the game.
Our game management and composure when we lead is fucking woeful. Itā€™s something Slot should be working on asap but to be honest it was exactly the same under JK.
Weā€™ve had a decent return from a kind run of fixtures but massive improvement is needed if we are going to challenge for the title.

6 Likes

Give Slot time FFS. JĆ¼rgen struggled to impose his identity on us when he first arrived. He had his bad days. He wasnā€™t perfect by any means but he ended up being our best manager since King Kenny v.87/91.

Slot has been in charge forā€¦whatā€¦8 competitive games? Heā€™s won 7 of them. Not bad going for a newbie. We won ugly today, but we won. The winning with style consistently will come given time Iā€™m hoping. Itā€™s been a quick transition for everyone involved and thankfully weā€™re in a good place, results wise. Reasons to be cheerful? Yes I think.

13 Likes

A poster child of an ugly win, but one that took us top of the league.

Wolves played with more tenacity throughout but lacked the quality. We on other hand were too sloppy and relaxed. Thankfully, we still had more than enough for them.

Gravenberch, Jota and the two CBs were the only ones to play to their standards. The rest were average at best.

Weā€™re going to have to play a lot better if we want to stay first.

2 Likes

True.

But you could easily turn that around and say that we are first despite not playing at our best.

7 Likes

The moaning about ā€œthe performanceā€ after we win games always just strikes me as pure arrogance. Some kind of weird assumption that if you donā€™t absolutely batter teams then its not a win to celebrate.

Premier League teams are good. Even the bad ones. Theyā€™re all capable on their day of giving anyone a tough game.

By the way we could easily have won this game by several more goals were not for a phenomenal save by Johnstone on Szoboszlai and Salah missing an open goal (but a tough finish with how the ball came to him).

18 Likes

I actually understand the malcontentsā€™ argument: if we donā€™t play to a better standard, the top teams will hammer us.

But, other than Real Madrid, nobody thrashes us. Well, except for Villa in that 7-2 freak result, and City when the refs helped them. Oh, and the time our entire team was nursing a hangover after already winning the title.

This team is top of the league, with a manager who is only just getting his feet under the table.

There is far more reason to celebrate than to complain.

13 Likes

For which game did we end up with 70%?

56% today, 62% against West Ham (20mins v 10), Bournemouth was 59%, Milan was 51%, Utd was 47%

Or are you referring to us controlling the tempo and being comfortable without the ball?

1 Like

A lot of the times it was the players at the back or forward line giving it away

1 Like

Iā€™ve said before this game that heā€™s been poor this season but some sausage on here whinged about it. I think heā€™ll be let go this summer; guessing the testing has shown heā€™s lost that top 2% edge and itā€™s now becoming very clear on the pitch.

2 Likes

His movement is still top notch and he is getting on the ball in similar positions he always has, but his age is now affecting his effectiveness in those positions, with his dribbling, shooting and passing lacking compared to prime Mo.

Hopefully if we manage his minutes he can still post similar numbers to what he has in the past.

BTW the underhit pass to Jones, wouldnā€™t have mattered as it looked like Jones was offside when it was attempted.

H

1 Like

Haha @Walshy07

2 Likes

We have done it again, against a lower/bottom side we struggle a bit, who cares, we won,fugly,but 3 points in the bag and back top,so all good.
Grav. MOTM again, this is getting to be a habit!

1 Like

So far so good. Top of the league. Gravenberch has been a revelation. VVD imperious. Konate strong, even with a brain fart today. So much to like.

And yetā€¦ some iffy play, poor passing, dodgy moments that make me wonder. Will we be title challengers or more of a top four team? Thereā€™s more to come from this team under the new manager, so hopefully we improve as we go. The schedule has been kind so far and Iā€™m not getting ahead of myself, even if it is lovely to see us at the top of the pile at this early stage.

4 Likes

He certainly wonā€™t be given a yearsā€™ long contract at Ā£350,000 p/w. , thatā€™s for sure. I know a lot of people wonā€™t hear a word against him but where once you were expecting him to score whenever he received the ball , the expectation now is that heā€™ll either waft one into the goalieā€™s arms or miles wide of the far post , under/over hit a simple pass or simply be dispossessed.

Somebody mentioned his minutes need to be managed , and isnā€™t that why we bought Chiesa ? Hopefully his overall game improves if and when that starts to happen.

2 Likes

I read this after answering above. Great minds I suppose. :wink:

I feel like these two statements somehow contradict each other. Itā€™s like you feel as though itā€™s going to backfire and make us end up with egg on our face, and yet the evidence suggests that we will almost inevitably end up with all 3 points anyway.

Also over-romanticising title-winning sides.

The number of wins you need to grind out and have everything all fall your way is actually quite high. We had so many of these types of games in 2019-20 too.

8 Likes