Pre and In Match Thread. Leeds United vs Liverpool. Elland Road.. EPL. Sunday Sept 12th. 1630 hrs

The weird bit that no one is focusing on with this, is anyone having been in the UK in the last 14 days has to quarantine for 14 days on arrival in Brazil, so none of these players would have been able to play as they would have been in quarantine. They would have then had to do the same on their return to the UK, so there by missing 28 days of training/games for no reason.

*unless they followed the Spurs/Villa idea of flying to Venezuala and lying about where they had come from

3 Likes

Yup, seems to have been brushed under the carpet.

They wouldn’t have been able to play a single match by going over or one if they had suggested the 10 day quarantine.

FIFA’s mistake here not extending that period. I think FIFA want to fine them so won’t say a thing until Monday.

Though saying this it’s good we sent Salah to that latter game.

1 Like

Both Alisson and Fabinho would be a loss but I guess they would have a rest for the game against Milan… Lucky for us we play Sun-Wed.

I think we could cope mind. As long as he stuck with Kelleher. And Raphina is a big loss for them, so it negates it a bit.

Anyhow probably won’t see this as I’ll be in Zagreb, might see the game next Saturday and with it being Milan on Wednesday I assume that might be on in a bar or two in Zadar

The problem is that coming from Brazil back to UK would require 14 day quarantine, so they would not be available before Thursday 24th Sep, and that would be dependant on their fitness levels after being in quarantine and how long it would take to get them back up to match fitness

1 Like

I’m fucking fuming this even an issue. FIFA need to wind their necks in, or they are going to have to deal with a club revolt.

What do FIFA think is reasonable here? Should we be releasing players two weeks early to quarantine, and then having them quarantine another week upon return?

And by the way, what effect do FIFA think making players sit in hotels for weeks has on fitness and conditioning?

The Premier League should be intervening here. It shouldn’t be up to us to raise this. They decided en masse that PL clubs could retain their players. They need to tell FIFA to fuck off.

It’s about time the governing bodies, the players and the clubs themselves remember who pays these extravagant wages.

7 Likes

Pretty sure City players would get round this with a bunga bunga party or two.

1 Like

Away to Leeds at a noisy Elland rd, hopefully we put our chances away and start this busy run with maximum points.

No I mean they haven’t gone so even if FIFA suspend them it’s 5 days from the end of the window which I assume is Thursday night there.

So they will only miss the Leeds game.

I know far too well how many games they would be requested to miss if they went to Brazil as Mascot says it’s 14 days before they play and then 14 days after, be lucky if they got a game in before heading back out.

2 Likes

Pawson is the ref for this game.

Bit of a shit show by FIFA - not only the Argentina debacle but now this investigation about the Brazilian players.

Once again, the complete redundancy of international football is being shown up.

If they must keep this tired old format of internationals then I favour a single massive tournament played across two months once every four years. Bottom ranked nations start it off (San Marino vs Andorra for example) until the top nations come in at a later date. No other friendlies or tournaments or anything. Get picked, show up, play and fuck off back to your club until the next time. I know it’ll never happen because it doesn’t generate enough income for FIFA but that’s the only thing I would find acceptable.

4 Likes

I’ll be in Harrogate on Sunday and watching in the Harrogate Arms. that is Leeds territory so I’ll keep my head down when we score the 0-1. :grinning:

Come to think of it, the last time I was there I watched the Liverpool-Barcelona match, so me in Harrogate and Liverpool winning, a luck charm :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

We won’t be able to use, Fab, Allison or Firmino (guess he was out anyway). This is BS!!

1 Like

So, Kelleher, Hendo at #6 and Jota in the starting XI.

Still have to hear what’s up with Milner, Elliott and Taki.

Leeds also without Raphina .

Really petty stuff from Brazil. Completely responsible move from clubs not to allow players to travel to red list countries.

5 Likes

But Everton are able to play that sullen cunt because they have a “good relationship”?

How the fuck does that work? It’s either a legal issue or the clubs should tell them to go and fuck themselves.

As ever I fully expect us to bend over and take it without a word said.

2 Likes

Surely the FA need to get involved. FIFA and Brazil are telling the world that they are more powerful than any covid regulation, not a good look for them.

4 Likes

Yes, I’m going to go with this makes no sense at all, especially considering that they called up 9 players who would not be eligible to play regardless unless they broke the law.

I’m eagerly awaiting what happens next.

Is there money involved in this for them? Otherwise, expect nothing.

In fairness the Brazilian FA have almost guaranteed him an injury this season by playing him at both the Copa America and the Olympics. It was pathetic how they abused him and a few others this summer to win a tournament absolutely no one cares about.

For us, we really need the FA, Premier League and UEFA to take a stand against the FIFA motion here. They won’t because they’re spineless but nothing we as a club can do on our own without backing of at least the authority we play within.

Hard to see what actions FIFA can take if the FA/Premier League just say “Fuck you, we are ignoring you” but far too many cozy relationships at risk if they do that.

3 Likes