Pre and In Match Thread. Liverpool vs Crystal Palace EPL. Sat 18th September 2021. 1500 hrs

After the drama of CL its back to the PL.
I expect VVD to start and maybe a debut for Konate?
I hope we have Fabinho and any other two in midfield. He was that good last night you can allow Thiago/Jones/Keita/Hendo a bit of freedom to run Palace ragged on Saturday.
Up front I think Sadio needs us all to be a bit patient.
He is in a poor vein of form, but still scored last week and is still very much a top class player.

If we start like last night, and maybe hold the concentration a bit longer we are unstoppable…

6 Likes

I very much doubt that Konaté will start until the Norwich game in the Carabao Cup. It’ll be the Virgil and Joel show (which actually sounds like something that should be on Netflix) again in the heart of the defence.

With the cup game next Tuesday, we have the chance to rotate then so I reckon we’ll go full strength here with Fab, Hendo and Thiago in midfield; Salah, Mané and Jota up front.

As usual, if we take our chances we’ll massacre them. Big “if” though.

6 Likes

Yeah, doubt there’ll be much rotation here. Midfield is tricky though. We weren’t expecting Elliott to start all games, so Klopp may surprise us by starting Curtis for example. But definitely doubt we’ll see Konate, when we have Gomez and Matip available.

It’s at Anfield again, so am confident we should be able to see this out without much fuss. 3 points and no injuries is all I wish.

1 Like

Alisson
Trent Matip VVD Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Keita
Salah Jota Mané

3-1

Rest everyone in the next game.

1 Like

Three games in a week for Matip is asking for trouble. It’s only Palace ffs.

Would like to see Fab , Hendo and Thiago start but I also thought Keita was very good last night and wouldn’t be surprised if he keeps his place.

Mané has to play himself into some kind of form soon or he might find he’s no longer a first choice starter once Bobby returns.

2 Likes

I’ve been impressed with Palace’s start to the season. They’ve made some good additions and Vieira has added some attacking intent to Roy’s pragmatism. Think it will be our hardest game of the last week.

Hope to see VvD restored to the lineup and Thiago alongside Henderson and Fabinho in midfield.

Any update on when Firmino might be back?

I’d say Thiago / Van Dijk / Mane are 100% starting. So build your team around them.

1 Like

With four games over 10 days, Klopp will continue to manage the squad and keep shuffling the pack. I see two, even three, changes from last night’s starting XI:

Alisson
TAA Gomez VvD Robertson
Fabinho
Henderson Thiago
Salah XXX Mane

1 Like

Alisson
Trent Gomez VVD Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Keita
Salah Jota Mané

We’ll see some further changes I think. Maybe Konate and Minamino?

I think this one could be more difficult than anticipated, Viera has changed the set up and the Palace players look like they are enjoying it. We ned to be on our toes so the only real question marks i think is the midfield (barring injury and fatigue).
I so want to see that Fabs (inspector gadget), Thiago (cool murderer) and Hendo (Captain Unrelenting) so here’s hoping.
3-1 to us (no clean sheet :cry:).

1 Like

2 years ago, Gomez was 1 half of the most intimidating and meanest defenses in world football.

If fit, then for me him and VVD have to start.

Fully expecting Matip to get a rest for this one, given his track record with injuries etc. He’s been imperious, and it would be very annoying if he broke down now.

Virgil and one of Gomez or Konate will start. Gomez did alright last night, and needs game time, so if he came through unscathed, I’d want to see him again on the weekend, restored to his favoured right side. Of course, when Konate starts playing, I’d prefer Virgil to be the one partnering him. I only see Konate starting if Klopp sticks with Robbo. If Robbo is rested (Tsimikas in), then suspect Gomez goes.

In midfield - I want to see Thiago, Hendo and Fab in, but thought both Naby and Curtis were good last night. Also, Milner should be pretty fresh. Klopp to keep rotating midfield, and leave things as expected up top (Mane, Salah, Jota). Bobby’s been back doing light training, so hopefully not too far off now - maybe a bench appearance.

My XI would be; Ali, Trent, Gomez, Virgil, Tsimikas, Fab, Hendo, Thiago, Jota, Mane, Salah.

Would be surprised if that’s what happens though.

Yeah, they are both way better and more experienced than they were when they were the best pairing in the world, so next step is best in the universe :wink:

Palace

Ali
TAA JoGo VVD The Greek Scouser
Hendo Fab Thiago
Mo Dio Sadio

League Cup

Kelleher
Neco Konate Phillips the GS
Milner Keita Jones
Ox Origi Mini

1 Like

Smash them. They’re shit.

8 Likes

Not as much fun now Roy has gone.

1 Like

Mane almost always gets a goal against Crystal Palace.

5 Likes

My team would be

Alisson
Trent Gomez Van Dijk Robbo
Fabinho
Henderson Thiago
Salah Jota Mane

Then to Norwich, wholesale changes.

Kelleher
Williams Konate Gomez Tsimikas
Milner
Jones Keita
Ox Origi Minamino

Matip back for Brentford.

I would play Konaté with van Dijk. We did not buy one of the most promising young CB’s to stick him on the bench and let him play in the League cup IMO.

Referee: Andy Madley can’t remember him being the referee in a Liverpool match.

We win, 2-1.

1 Like