Pre and In Match Thread. Liverpool vs Crystal Palace EPL. Sat 18th September 2021. 1500 hrs

We expended far too much energy overcoming a terrible Milan side last night so JK may make a few changes. Can’t help thinking if Mo slots that penalty then we go in 4 or 5 up at HT and get the deck-chairs out 2nd half.
Think he’ll ask Robbo to go again with VVD and Gomez at CB. Fabinho, Tiago and Keita in the middle, give Hendo some rest.

Can see Konate starting this.

I’d go with

Ali
Trent-Konate-Virg-Robbo-
Hendo-Fab-Thiago-
Salah-Taki-Mane

Two big calls there. Taki and Konate. Konate will just be for rotation, don’t think Joey will be given another 90 so close after his first one. Joel has played like twice in 7 days. Too much for him to play again lol.

Taki played well in pre season I felt. With Jota playing a role on Wednesday wonder will he be rested. How long did he play anyways?

Hopefully get the Win. Virgil goal,

If Gomez has no aches or pains after Milan game
i think he starts and Konate will start v Norwich in the cup.

1 Like

True. But we also didn’t buy him for short term. So it’s not like league cup games are only ones he’ll get. He’ll get his chances and enough of them to become a main stay in the team. Patience and hard work has been rewarded under Klopp, so hope he demonstrates these two aspects.

2 Likes

Saw the fixtures and couldn’t believe we were playing again so soon.
From what I’ve seen of Palace, they look reasonably useful and are in good form. I hope we don’t take them too lightly.
No way Konate starts for me. Don’t think JK will throw him in the deep end.
Surely Bobby must be close.
Think Gomez will partner VVD.
Thiago, Hendo and Fab in the middle.
Hope Matip doesn’t play, because I don’t have any faith in him not breaking down.

Same team as V Leeds but Gomez starts for Matip & Hendo for Elliott.

Everyone who plays tomorrow will sit out V Norwich bar Gomez who will partner Konate.

I am guessing that Minamino’s start depends solely on his conditioning. If he’s fit and ready to go, he starts. Mané definitely starting, so my only question is whether Salah starts. Doubt we would rest him for Origi so…

1 Like

Palace midfield dominated Spurs even when 11 on 11. We need to have a high energy midfield to counter them. My choice would be Fabinho, Hendo and Keita. Thiago/Curtis to come on as subs if/when required.

4 Likes

That reminds me- I have to wind up my Palace-supporting mate who thinks Henderson wouldn’t get into their midfield.

Back in a bit.

3 Likes

Already taken over an hour, slowing down in your old age?

1 Like

Not much from the presser. Firmino hopefully back in training next week. I get the sense it’s likely to be Virgil and Konaté tomorrow. Praise for Mané and Origi. Nothing new on Salah contract situation.

Alisson
Trent Konaté Virgil Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Thiago
Salah Jota/Origi Mané

This is going to be a tough one with only two days rest. Palace are a much better team this year than previous. Hopefully Virgil is fit to start as we need him at the back. I’ll go for a close 2-1 win.

1 Like

Starting Konate may be important given how robust and active Palace plays, Gallagher and Eduoard look like they can cause serious problems and so i wouldnt mind seeing Van Dijk and Konate get a game here to put Palace in their place. Matip should be due a rest and then we can unleash him during the norwich game in the carabao cup and the next weekend fixture.

Been hearing that we would be rotating the squad alot for this game.

Alisson

Trent, Konate, VDV, Robertson

Fabinho
Henderson, Thiago/Keita

Salah, Jota/Minamino, Mane

Anything about Minamino?

No, wasn’t mentioned.

Genuine question, are they really?

I haven’t seen them play at all this season but their results suggest they are as mediocre as ever. Failed to score against Brentford and Watford (cup game but a strong 11), beaten easily at Chelsea…they did beat Spurs 3-0 but all the goals came against 10 men.
My only concern is Zaha against Trent plus the fact we put in a lot of energy in overcoming a poor Milan side on Wednesday. Could have done without that.
I’d be tempted to start Milner to offer a bit of protection down our right hand side if Trent gets caught out of position. Fabinho and either Keita or Ox for a bit of creativity from midfield.

Alisson

Trent Matip Van Dijk Robertson

Henderson Fabinho Thiago

Salah Jota Mane

We’re 5 games into the season, have just had a break, and have the carabao cup in midweek. We don’t need to be resting players for this, with the possible exception of Matip.

4 Likes

Half the team played nearly every league game last season. Obviously it’s not always ideal, and you will want to take it easier on some players more than others and give opportunities for the whole squad to be involved, but we shouldn’t need to rest players this early, but if we do the League Cup is the place to do it and we should still be able to put out a competitive team instead of the under 15s

They are a better watch, that’s all that counts for the likes of me, you can see that they try and can play football (much better than the anti football stuff seen under Hodgson). Whether that translates into better results is debatable and will be seen.

Jota is getting a break here. Tempted to give Fab a rest but he didn’t travel for internationals.

Ali
Trent Gomez VVD Robbo
Hendo Fab Thiago
Salah Ox Mane

3-1 Reds.