Pre Match | Ajax Amsterdam vs. Liverpool | CL Matchday 1 | Wednesday October 21st 20:00h | Johan-Cruyff-Arena

Time to step up.

Expecting a wild game and kind of a oldschool Liverpool performance with the midfielders than won us the CL and the PL. Maybe that the approach we need to get Trent, Gomez and Firmino back to their best.

Personally I am not really concerned that we will be without our new ‘midfield messiah’ for some games.

Alisson and Virgil are the players we will miss.

Adrian
TAA Matip Gomez Robertson
©Henderson Fabinho Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mané

5 subs allowed and more players on bench so probably one of Nat Phillips, Billy Koumetio or Rhys Williams will be on bench.

4 Likes

sorry mate… you started the prematch against Villa and the Bitters and we lost points in both. Are you sure you should be starting prematch threads? :thinking:

3 Likes

@Alright_Now made me do it.

I am banned from starting the threads for the PL games until the end of the year.

6 Likes

Has to be team @GermanRed has above, Rhys Williams is the best choice young CB to join the squad. No back passing to Adrian please.

1 Like

I approve this message

5 Likes

No PL refs. No PL VAR. So yeah, maybe we might win this :neutral_face:

6 Likes

Mane Salah Jota

Shh, let him stay busy with something.

3 Likes

I’d look at this game as a bit of a free pass regarding the defence. There is a massive hole to plug with Van Dijk facing a lengthy ban.

Klopp needs to decide on his defensive partnership for, maybe, the rest of the season and double down on it. My message would be don’t worry about the result too much, use these 90 minutes to get the understanding in place and work on the partnership. One should be given clear authority to lead the defence.

My preference would be Gomez and Fabinho, largely because Matip isn’t going to be fit for long.

Both Gomez and Fabinho are really good defenders and can, if allowed to bed in, build a good role.

Ahead of them, Henderson in the six.

4 Likes

I hear ya. But we need to be fully behind our Matip, even though he’ll succumb to a fingernail injury. You never know, with Virgil out, cometh the hour, cometh the Joel.

2 Likes

I love Joël. Think he’s a really good defender, but there is no point in investing in him as a long term option to replace Van Dijk. We’re just playing Gomez and Fabinho in a few weeks anyway.

2 Likes

We have for the past 3 or 4 years? Made such hard work and of getting through the groups, so I’m not expecting anything different. On top of that it always seems to be the unexpected, lost points, on away results.

I would at least expect a point from this game.

Agree with this. Joel is excellent. If we’re not going to use him when he’s hurt and we don’t want to use him when he’s not hurt, when are we going to use him? He’s our steadiest force right now among the CBs and GK. Seems odd not to use him because we’re gambling that he’ll be hurt in a few weeks.

Moreover there is the coconut factor.

5 Likes

Odds of Hendo - Milly - Gini midfield yet again to begin our champions league campaign?

3 Likes

Black kits? Hopefully.

Think we burned those after Villa.

Hope we dig up the peach ones from days gone by.

2 Likes

Ajax 5-1 Heerenveen FT.

1 Like

You need to watch @Livvy’s videos. Life is passing you by. Think it was the team meeting video.

3 Likes

There aren’t enough hours in the day to watch all of them.

4 Likes

Smoke them,they’re Dutch.

8 Likes

:upside_down_face:

6 Likes