Pre-match: Liverpool v Brentford, Saturday 6th May, 17:30

I don’t know how I feel about this. Liverpool FC are in a no win situation either way and the fans. Unless the fan groups can persuade the fans hold your breath for 2 minutes. I hope it will be okay on the day.

https://twitter.com/TonyEvans92a/status/1654241710124171269?s=20

Any fans who can’t shut their mouths for a couple of minutes during the anthem should be ashamed of themselves.

I’m no royalist, but I don’t have to boo every time I hear the anthem.

8 Likes

Easy solution would be to play it at 11am as the coronation starts.

Will be too early to have the gates open, so no fans will be inside the ground and can’t boo it.

2 Likes

We could just sing God save Egyptian king instead

7 Likes

Great idea, get the word out!

1 Like

Scottish Premier League/Sky made the smart move.
Celtic playing Sunday

4 Likes

It has a certain ring to it. God save our Mo Salah and repeat or Alisson Becker who has in fact saved our season.

1 Like

Why is this even such a big deal.

Few minutes respect, we move onto the game. If some or a lot of people react differently, that’s also how it is.

1 Like

No press conference scheduled?

Starting to think Klopp won’t be on the touchline tomorrow.

1 Like

A minute’s silence would be an appropriate commemoration perhaps?

1330 BST, so 1430 German time I presume?

2 Likes

Ideally, the national anthem plays in Anfield, not a soul sings it, and that gives the middle finger to the establishment as much as booing the entire thing. Either way, I do hope the club play it (as much as I despise the royals) and take the fallout (if it’s booed for example) on the chin.

That’s the word that riles people up. Respect is earned not given and the Royal family do not deserve the respect.

However, I am not surprised the PL have ordered clubs to do this - or “strongly advised” - and I’m sure the gammon brigade who 12 months ago cried “keep politics out of football” when players knelt at kick off will have a lovely time writing fake outrage posts because some people will boo.

Personally I’ll just ignore it like I ignore the Champions League anthem everytime we play in that.

3 Likes

I’m going tomorrow and I won’t be booing. Can’t think of anything more childish. Hopefully we can drown out the anthem and any booing with YNWA.

5 Likes

I can think of thousands of things that are more childish. Playing at kings and queens for example.
The whole concept of monarchy is repugnant to me and I resent the fact that we are being forced to celebrate something I most strongly oppose. I’m proud of our fans for booing this anti-democratic anthem.

2 Likes

Brentford are finding back some form. First a draw against Villa at home, then an away win at Chelsea, and another home win against Forest.

Our lads will need to be at their best to get the three points against this lot. We haven’t a great record against them, apart from a 3 nil win in January 2022, our only win against them so far.

Is it more the case that you object to the enforced obsequiousness?

There are lots of ways that they could have marked the Coronation at sporting events. Souvenir programmes or something. As it is, they are forcing people to kowtow to authority. Even for people who are largely ambivalent towards the monarchy that is going to put people’s backs up.

1 Like

No one will be shocked or horrified by the booing. They will just laugh at us. It’s expected. Rival fans even goad us over it. I’m no Royalist either but it would make more impact to sing our own anthem over the top of it. Booing is for children and Evertonians.

It’s a good idea to sing the YNWA throughout the anthem, and cover it that way. Much classier than to boo it. :+1:

3 Likes

Well, there are only 4 non-White referees in England’s top 7 divisions so……

1 Like