Pre Match: Liverpool vs Benfica, CL QF 2nd Leg @ Anfield, April 13th, 20h00 GMT

100%
Salah played very well against City, including tracking back more than normal. He had a brilliant assist and almost a second for Jota.
But he didnt score so the narrative is that he is in poor form.
Harry Kane didnt score on Saturday but was lauded for his work in the match.
Interesting!

3 Likes

Correct about Salah and although Jota was poor on the ball he did his job by scoring so did Mané.

We lost the battle on midfield where they created an extra player with Bernardo Silva. Hope that Klopp finds a solution before Saturday.

1 Like

It was definitely his better game out the last 5 or 6.

1 Like

I agree Salah played well on Sunday, it was his best game in about a month. And it is true we lost the battle in midfield by not having that extra player.

An obvious solution to this problem (at least in my opinion) is to play Bobby who in fact acts as an another body in midfield and provides a link between the midfield and forward line. Jota is an excellent finisher but he does not provide this same dimension Bobby does. Except for the goal scored, he was pretty much invisible - against an opposition like City, you need all your players to work hard, press, defend all over the pitch. So I guess Bobby should start against City and I was very surprised he only came on so late on Sunday.

1 Like

If, and it’s a big if, there’s a need to give Virgil a rest in this period, surely now is the time. He seems to have some god like ability to play week in week out without ever looking tired though.

Tsimikas is a no brainer to come in. Also assume Konatie, Naby, Bobby, and Diaz start. The rest is anyones guess.

Get a goal or two early in the game, kill the tie off, ring the changes. Of course, we do things the Liverpool way, so it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if we see Benfica score first and we have a nervy night.

I’ve read the word complacency a few times. Spot on. That’s the main danger. We are 3-1 up and should not assume we are through. I’d like to see a strong start, build on the lead, and then if we want to rest and take the foot off the pedal, with say a four goal cushion, fine.

But we have to keep our intensity up and build on what we have, otherwise it could get nervy.

As for the team we will play, there are a few choices to be made. I liked what Klopp said in his press conference… the FA Cup game against Man City will have no bearing on the team he selects for Benfica, but the last game might.

In other words, we are always assessing fitness levels leading up to the game, recovery patterns, and so on and so forth. I take it that we will always play the strongest team we can put out for the next game, and then rinse repeat thereafter, and cross the next bridge when we come to it.

I’d take another 3-1 for this. Two goals, build a four goal cushion, take their fight away, then make some changes as the next game comes into view.

1 Like

This is the team I’d pick but with somebody else instead of Chamberlain, probably Keita.

Whilst we need to guard against complacency, we should be making changes here. We’ve got a great squad and this is the most obvious game for us to rotate the players given the situation and opposition.

1 Like

In some spots we might have two players sharing the game. Perhaps at HT (result/performance permitting, if we score first that could be key) or after 55-60minutes.

I agree. He has one of the highest mins (3720). But do we keep Matip then? Surely he shouldn’t be risked for three consecutive games even in his most robust (3046 mins) season.

Yes we are. We’re fucking brilliant at it. Man City are just really good, sadly.

5 Likes

Apparently carrying a knock, I read.

Smash them. They’re shit.

Honestly we should be able to heavily rotate and still beat these at Anfield.

I’m hoping City get fucked out the comp by Atletico, leaving them despondent and seeing them embark on a shit run of form that sees us beat them on Saturday and win the league next month. The cunts.

5 Likes

Sorry Walshy…

He also did a unreal assist on Sunday…

6 Likes

This one’s a little odd…the data ranges for each point of the polygon seem randomly chosen to ensure it looks full

Think that’s how it works, if you’re at the very top of the field for each metric?

1 Like

Read the legend. It’s by percentile.

2 Likes

Any thoughts on Gomez at right Back and Trent forward into right side of midfield to give others a break ?
My thoughts are that we need to change things up a little in that area .
Don’t fancy ox as he’s Not Match Fit

Still don’t fancy Ox from the start here. Keita will start for sure, then we’ll see but the next option would be Jones I think if we make two changes from the start.

And yeah I think Gomez might start, I didn’t like Konate in the first leg (even before his mistake). Give him a bit more protection against Nunez.

1 Like

Villarreal in the semi if we beat this lot!

Alberto Moreno reunion.

Get. The. Job. Done.

2 Likes