Pre Match: Liverpool vs Benfica, CL QF 2nd Leg @ Anfield, April 13th, 20h00 GMT

Albie is out for the season.

After tonight play the best team to win the match. Can always rest players if we finish it early.

Wish Bayern had got through nowā€¦

Feel like this is a ā€œjust see it outā€ kind of game. We need the most ā€œsee it out playerā€ for this moment. Step on up Mr. James Milner!

Alisson
Trent Konate Virgil Kostas
Milner Fabinho Keita
Mane Bobby Diaz

Hopefully can get Trent, Fabinho, Mane and Virgil some rest later in the game.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™d probably go with that, might still play Jones instead of Milner. But nothing too risky.

Exactly my thinking, iā€™d leave Thiago out partially to rest and partially for the same reason as iā€™d leave Millie out. Our biggest risk of defeat is one of our players getting a red, unfortunately both Millie and Thiago are always a risk of that (tho iā€™d trust Millie more than Thiago on that, Thiago has a dangerous foul in him on most games).

Chelsea and Bayern are both out of the CL. Benfica would get inspiration from these results.

1 Like

Yup youā€™re right

1 Like

My line up :
Alisson
Gomez Konate VVD Tsimikas
Fabinho/Milner
Elliott/Minamino Keita
Mane/Salah Bobby/Divock Diaz/Jota

Play 60/sub in at 60

Should be strong enough to see us through

How many red cards has Thiago had for Liverpool?

Yeah kind of an odd point, we are probably the best team in managing games.

Itā€™s funny how often I watch a game, think it was a super easy win for us then log in to this site only to find out that half the comments are about how lucky we were and that most of our team is shite. I think a few just panic too much, luckily these days itā€™s just the fans not the players having a fit when the opposition dare to touch the ball.

5 Likes

I donā€™t think Thiago trained with the team in the last training session. Highly unlikely heā€™ll start tonight irregardless.

1 Like

I hope it is not an injury but merely workload management. He was always unlikely to play today after three successive starts.

Well, I have to say that after last nightā€™s games Iā€™m a bit more weary. We just need to play this safe. Benfica need to attack us and that could create space for us.

I think there is always a panic when teams break into our half because we play a high line. Itā€™s worth watching on those occasions how our defence reacts. Itā€™s not so much sticking a boot in at the first opportunity but forcing players into a poor position and forcing them to take a lacklustre shot. Those go on the stats as a shot on goal but are often little more than a back pass.

According to Klopp in the presser nobody is injured.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure that JĆ¼rgen and his team will know the personnel,formation and tactics to see us through this game. COYR YNWA :+1: :nerd_face:

5 Likes

According to Klopp in the presser, the next game wonā€™t affect his lineup selection, but the last game did. And the City game did in my opinion show some signs of fatigue by some usual starters, who could use some rest today: most notably Fabinho, Robbo and Mo.

Maybe we could count VVD to that group as well. Mind you, he was only rested for a single solitary game since the turn of the year (FA cup game v. Norwich). He played an immense amount of minutes after the winter break, including two international friendlies. It might be true that he is extremely durable, but he is nevertheless a human and I would say he needs to be rested in at least one game this month during our run-in. That being said, I would rest him against Benfica, but Klopp probably wonā€™t because the game is too important and because if 2-3 changes are made in the defensive department, you want to at least keep your main defensive pillar intact.

So I believe Klopp will field the following lineup:

---------Alisson---------
TAA-Konate-VVD-Tsimikas
Keita-Henderson-Jones
ā€“Jota-Firmino-Diazā€“

Then make a full use of the 5 changes available and take off Hendo, Trent and Bobby around the 60ā€™ mark.

2 Likes

no idea but i know a few times he got away with a few, last game he could easily have gone and we need him for the run in, i donā€™t think heā€™s needed tonight. That plus i donā€™t want to risk him breaking after overplaying him.

1 Like

Absolute inch perfect pass to hit Mane in stride, just out of Walkerā€™s reach.

Thanks for posting these graphs @Draexnael. Mo is so close to catching fire again.

2 Likes

Does anyone fancy doing the post match? Iā€™m off to see an ice hockey game. Iā€™m in for a lovely couple of hours of watching people skate around really fast without a clue whatā€™s going on.