Pre Match: Liverpool vs Benfica, CL QF 2nd Leg @ Anfield, April 13th, 20h00 GMT

Alisson
Gomez Konate Van Dijk Tsimikas
Fabinho
Jones Keita
Salah Firmino Diaz

Plenty of changes, but should be strong enough to see off Benfica. We have Hendo, Thiago, Trent, Mane and Jota to get on for minutes in the second half.

I suspect Salah needs a goal more than he needs a rest.

Game night

Jimmy Fallon Yes GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

2 Likes

This stage of the CL is littered with teams making remarkable comebacks after a poor first leg result. Chelsea almost managed it yesterday and Villareal managed a shock result. Remember what we did to Barca ? The important thing is to be in the right frame of mind. A two goal lead is a good start but it is only half time.

7 Likes

Chelsea didnā€™t come back and Bayern were losing.

I know your point is not to take it for granted but the evidence doesnā€™t really stand up very well. Both results for Bayern and Madrid would take us through. I expect the team will treat the game with the respect it deserves.

No need to be afraid, but no space to relax either from the teamā€™s point of view. Whatever the changes, we need to enter this 100% focused. Next goal in this tie could be key.

2 Likes

One of the great things Kloppo has implemented into his squad is to take no match for granted, never. In that regard, Iā€™m completely at peace. Complacency is very rarely, if ever at all, a problem for us these days, which is really great.

Iā€™m sure that Kloppo will have his men focused and ready. :+1:

5 Likes

If Iā€™m honest I would say both Bayern and Madrid took those ties for granted.

1 Like

Cheaty will be trembling like abused gerbils on the coach in tonight if their reception is anything like the one we got a few years ago :rofl::+1:

2 Likes

Who abuses gerbils?

I think there was a rumour about Richard Gere a few years (decades?) backā€¦

3 Likes

That was Shilma Shetty

Evil bastards.

Yepp, I donā€™t think Liverpool will play this as if itā€™s a friendly, which is also why I think Klopp will field one of his strongest teams.

1 Like

Is there any reason we wouldnā€™t play Fab? I personally think he needs to bounce back on the pitch after that City performance, plus I really would like someone with a bit better reaction and pace in the 6 than Henderson knowing that Benfica will need to come at us. I am worried about their CF so Fab would be ideal. Bobby, ManĆ© and Salah across the front. Jota is a yellow away from missing a game and heā€™s played quite a lot of football recently.

I get your point. Thereā€™s no place for complacency and we shouldnā€™t try to manage the game from beginning. First 15-20 mins will be crucial. Benfica will be trying to get back into the tie and if we take our chances, we will be killing the game off.

Raise hell reds, raise hell. YNWA

3 Likes

If thereā€™s a time to take the foot off the pedal, itā€™s if and when we have a four goal cushion (which would be two up on the night, given the lead we already have).

If we find ourselves in that position with say, half an hour to go, wind it down, see it out, make subs, get some rest into them.

If Benfica score first they are within touching distance and it could get nervy.

Klopp, erm, taking it easyā€¦

Front three are fine, and I understand Virg getting a rest, but I do not like that midfield

9 Likes

Not sure if I like that line-up a bit too many changes to my taste.

1 Like

So itā€™s Konate at LCB.

Taking him away from Nunez. :joy:

I prefer Keita at LCM, but heā€™ll probably play RCM here.

This looks like Jota on the right so with Gomez behind him, theyā€™ll need Nabyā€™s help ā€œin betweenā€.

Hate that line up.

Pray we get an early goal and they just give up. If we give them a sniff early Iā€™m worriedā€¦

Also, where is Taki? If Origi is off surely weā€™re better having Taki as part of the match day squad?

3 Likes