Pre-match: Manchester City vs Liverpool | EPL, Saturday 25th November, 12:30 GMT

Having missed the Reds’ victory over Brentford last time out, Joe Gomez, Ryan Gravenberch, Curtis Jones and Ibrahima Konate were among the players taking part in the session.

They were joined by the South American contingent who have been on duty with their respective nations, with Alisson Becker, Luis Diaz, Darwin Nunez and Alexis Mac Allister also participating.

Yep, so the arrived yesterday back on Mercyside and when fit available for Saturday.

1 Like

I’d go with our strongest XI.

We can start to sub players that need a rest after 20 minutes when we are 5-0 up

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1727673363592564833?s=20

1 Like

FTR Klopp is 8-6-6 v Pep as manager of Liverpool. (Penalties are draws.). He’s 4-5-5 in the PL and 0-3-4 in the PL at the Etihad.

But how many wins would Guardiola have if City only had the same budget as Liverpool?

None. Because he wouldn’t be there.

1 Like

Diaz Snr will be at the game will he not… Hard to see Jurgen leaving Diaz on the bench

3 Likes

Very hard to predict the XI for a Sat 12:30 game after internationals.

The only players you’d say are really “guaranteed” their place in the XI are Ali, Trent, Virgil, Szobo and Mo.

It would be very Liverpool if we beat these then lose to Fulham.

Predicted line-up

Alli
Trent Konate VVD GreekScouser
Dom Jones Gravenberch
Salah Gakpo Diaz

0-1

Darwin comes off the bench to score the winner.

Why would we play Gakpo who has not have a good game all season.

Not playing Nunez against teams who like to play a high line is probably the worst tactical decision we could make.

He should be playing in every important game, regardless of how the opposition set up, but even more so when there’s an ocean of space for him to run into.

10 Likes

I’m picking whom I think Klopp will pick.

Gakpo is more tactically aware and will drop deep to support the midfield. You can have Diaz and Salah providing speed to get behind their back line. Plus, Nunez is coming back from S America. I’d be surprised if Klopp picked more than one South American to start.

Jota replaces Diaz on 60 and Nunez replaces Gakpo on 65-70, assuming we’re not 2 or 3 up by then.

Would start with

Alisson
TAA Matip VvD Tsimikas
Szoboszlai Endo Mac Allister
Salah Gakpo Nunez

#6 Endo, Alexis as a deeper box2box and Gakpo False9 - I think that’s the best protection to our backline we can field currently.

Darwin to cause chaos and Salah to make Gvardiol regret signing with them.

Definitely not a decision against Diaz. Just think that we will need his impact from the bench in this one.

Gakpo is more tactically aware in what sense? He has barely been involved in any game he’s played in this season.

If Gakpo plays instead of Nunez, City will have no hesitation about pushing up and pressing as high as they possibly can and we’ll have a much harder time getting out of our own half.

Salah and Diaz cannot provide what Nunez does, they don’t have the combination of speed, power and timing of runs that he has.

2 Likes

No one obviously missing in the photos.

I didn’t see Kelleher but that might be an oversight.

1 Like

Due to the International games… and some of the players arriving back from many miles away, all at differing times… Not all of them will have a full thrust 90mins in their legs… I think there will definitely be a plan (a) and a plan (b) approach… Run the legs off The Cheaters for the first 60mins with plan (a) approach, and pick the players suited for that for the quick counter attacks… Implement plan (b) later in the game, with the players that were held back from the starting eleven… From this point on, throw absolutely everything at them
As for the team selection and the subs… It is anyone’s guess :grinning:
Lets just batter them into submission

1 Like

Maca was better in the last one than the first one, that oxygen thing didn’t help.

Not seen a massive issue with the other, irony being our second half’s in the 12.30 games have been better.

1 Like

Let the lad enjoy his birthday.

Is it safe to assume Ali will start then? :thinking:

I’m dreading seeing doku up against Trent. Trent will need some help I feel

3 Likes

Is Grav injured? If not, he will be one of the midfield over Endo.

Bournemouth 2
Burnley 2
Wolves 1
Forest 1
Brighton 1
Everton 2
Leicester 3
West Ham 2
Chelsea 1

These are the teams we’ve played with Kavanagh as ref. Most of them in the 3 seasons we racked up 90+ points by steam-rolling the opposition and giving referees very little opportunity to fuck us over, although some still tried.
Lower to mid table dross apart from Chelsea where we lost. The other loss was against Everton when Calvert-Lewin got a penalty for running into TAA when he was sitting on the floor.
The fact we won most of those games means fuck all given the calibre of opposition.

3 Likes