Pre Match | Southampton vs. Liverpool | PL Matchday 17 | Monday January 4th 20:00h | St. Mary’s Stadium

While Williams and Phillips have both played with credit I d0 not think either is good enough to see us through to the end of the season. We need a more experienced player at CB now to give the players in front of them more confidence. For the time being I think Millie or Hendo has to play CB. We have plenty of alternatives in MF.

4 Likes

@costared
Ings played the full 90 on Tuesday.

1 Like

In the mentioned midfield trios, I’d still see Hendo at the base, Thiago at LCM and probably Gini at RCM. Of course, they can all do a job at the base. Different styles, qualities, experiences. We’ll see what Klopp goes with here. But I don’t expect Phillips (we were possibly thinking of Joelinton in that channel against him), I think Rhys will return for this one. Southampton are a much more active side than Newcastle.

@PeachesEnRegalia, aren’t they shit? Shouldn’t we smash them??!!

3 Likes

Yes, I see that now and have amended my post. That was a very quick recovery from a hamstring injury. Maybe it will go again Monday night :slight_smile:

1 Like

I blame this season’s dip compared to the last season on all of youz jumping onto the ‘smash them, they’re shit’ bandwagon and fucking it up.

Leave the thread start to those with winning pedigree, let Peaches do his thing and ffs let @Lowton_Red mystify us. That’s the Holy Trinity of TAN (TIA). Come on lads, the team needs us and you’re all fucking around with a winning formula.

9 Likes

CB will be interesting. Despite what Jurgen says I am still convinced we need another. Rhys Williams has done well but looked very slow last time out. Maybe Milner in there.

Yeah, I thought a good option in the last two games (as we were trying to break down the opponent) was to bring a midfielder/offensive player on and pull Hendo deeper to CB. Both Rhys and Nat struggled at times. I think it’s very much take it game by game and pick what we feel is the best option at that moment.

I know you don’t expect it, but actually I agree, and was furious with the irregularities (including match-thread atrocities, remedied now after my recent fit), hence my post (which is not what you describe, and I’ll explain).
On the other hand, it has to be noted that Peaches himself is in weak form (no offence, @PeachesEnRegalia)… I think there was a pre-match thread he didn’t even bother posting the stuff (I was scrolling down maniacally in search of the post, and started watching the match in dread without it), and there was another pre-match thread where someone else posted it (heresy, in my book, if it’s posted as a statement and not as a question), and Peaches just posted a response instead of ignoring it and posting the stuff all the same.

So my question here was aiming at making sure that Peaches just replies with the proper post, that’s why it was in form of a question (which is legit in my book). Had I stated it, or posted a variation of the likes we often see, I would be in self-exile.

So yes, Holy Trinity of TAN, but like our front three, guys, bring on your scoring boots! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Smash them. They’re shit.

20 Likes

Why worry about “busy back to work” days? Follow my lead…don’t! :smile:

2 Likes

Heart back to normal pulse…

8 Likes

Same again please.

Hope to see the reaction in this game we were all expecting to see in the game against Newcastle.

I like @Mascots line-up with Hendo in at CB. Will need the extra guile from the captain if Ings is playing, who I had hoped would still be out with his hammy injury.

This will be a very tough fixture and really hope we can put in a performance more like the levels we reached against Leicester and Wolves.

3 Likes

Playing the last game in this round of fixtures should work in our favour. The boys will be aware that all our rivals have won and that should fire them up. No extra motivation needed. Given its St. Mary’s I am predicting Mane will be the man on fire and will take us to victory.
Ings will obviously be the usual suspect we will need to careful about. But being our boy, I am hoping he will not bother our back 4 much.

3 Likes

I’m worried. There’s too much gap between the games. We don’t do well with gaps between games.

2 Likes

Southampton team news by WhoScored:

• Danny Ings returned from injury for Southampton’s 0-0 draw with West Ham and will be keen to start against old club Liverpool on Monday.
  • Ralph Hasenhuttl suggested in midweek Che Adams needs a break but Southampton have a decent break between games here and he may be fine to lead the line once again.
  • Nathan Redmond and Jannik Vestergaard, who Liverpool may have an eye on in the January window, are both expected to miss out in Southampton’s first game of 2021.
  • Look for Stuart Armstrong to come into the side after dropping to the bench last time out.
2 Likes

I mean Vestergaard - why not.

But Redmond :joy:

1 Like

Great news.

4 Likes

We’ll have to score 2, more likely 3, to win this one. Same team as Newcastle but with Gini and Shaqiri in for Jones and Milner.

1 Like