Pre Match Thread : Liverpool vs Leeds United 12/09/2020; 17:30 BST

I can remember even further back when Liverpool v Leeds was the fixture of the season. They were a great team in the seventies , never gave an inch. I’m glad to see they finally made it back into the big time , it’s where a club of that stature belongs.

(Have to agree about the fans though , nasty lot.)

Re: the match. They are gonna be pumped to fuck for this one. Less than 100% from our lads and we could be seeing an early slip up. I won’t be happy 'til I see our second go in.

Come on you Reds !

9 Likes

Very excited for the start of the season! Reigning England and World Champions, having already won the Champions League a year ago, it’s all about adding more to what we already know we are capable of!
Confidence must be sky high, thirst factor check, and something to play for at last, after a long time!

What I’m expecting to see is people trying to nullify our fullbacks’ threat, and Klopp having prepared for it with some tactical tweaking like for example the 4-2-3-1 that gives us an additional forward player, or creativity through midfield to make us less predictable than what the opposition expects.

I expect Minamino and Keita to be like new signings, Minamino from what he has shown in
pre-season, after having adjusted to everything in a new team, and Keita from the way he had ended the season (multiple MOTM player by a lot of people’s account), provided he can stay fit and be consistent.

If only we can add Thiago to that in the next few days/weeks, I think we’ll be set for a good season and should be able to compete - to attack the new season, as Klopp perfectly said it.
As for the new boy, Tsimikas, I hope the fellow fan who was warning against Greek players when the transfer was rumoured will be proved wrong. I think that it’s a transfer that will help a lot, as it will give Robbo some competition for starters, plus when we need to rest him in this intensive schedule, we hopefully won’t notice (or at least notice much less than what we did last season).

And, hopefully sooner rather than later we’ll be able to hear some Anfield noise as well!

Come on you Reds! YNWA

10 Likes

Fix your damn name, Peaches.

1 Like

Leeds got relegated the spring before I first learned of LFC. I’ve only ever really known about their history through being a general fan of the Premier League. Curious to see how they will fare — will they follow the recent trend of Wolves and Sheffield being promoted teams that push for a top-half placing, or will they go straight back down? I don’t have the same experience that many of you do with Leeds fans so I’ll take your word for it. :man_shrugging:t2:

As an aside, being able to use the shrug emoji is a definite bonus to the new forums. +1

1 Like

Love this kind of information.

(Editing because I’m not sure I’m including the post to which I am replying… if not it’s the one about Milner and if he plays he will have played in the last 31 of Leed’s premier league matches. I think I need to figure out how to quote the post rather than just reply)

1 Like

Quotes thread and other things.

First day of the new season and we have a proper traditional team to play. The team of Bremner, Hunter, Charlton, Giles, Jordan, Lorimer…

OK, times change and this is nothing like the team we remember from the 1970s, but welcome back, Dirty Leeds!

4 Likes

Okay, I wanted to ask this for a while. Why is Leeds or it’s fans seen in such bad light? Is it due to their general attitude, some particular incident, a particular manager or player???

It’s mainly a throwback to the Don Revie sides of the 1970s who had a reputation for being cynically brutal. Also their fans have/had a reputation for being head-the-balls. Kind of a Millwall of the North.

I actually have a couple of very close friends who are Leeds fans and they are just proper old fashioned footie fans so it’s somewhat of an unfair reputation.

2 Likes

Thanks.

I’m not familiar with English football vocabulary so I’m assuming they are a very vocal and somewhat abusive lot.

1 Like

Yes. Head-the-ball is a bit of a Celtic one (Scots/Irish/Liverpool) . Basically a stupid person who is prone to acts of violence.

1 Like
4 Likes

I reckon leeds will be a pain in the arse team to play against at first so probably better to play them later on,we might make them look good and struggle a bit with their eagerness but i think we’ll scrape it 1-0.

14 Likes

Fix your damn name as well, Scott.

8 Likes

There is also huge rivalry between Man Utd fans and Leeds fans. Man Utd fans generally can’t stand Leeds Utd and vice versa. Almost on par with the rivalry the Mancs have with us, although we and them have a grudging mutual respect for each other. This is verified by Gary Nevillev as well.

I also there is a historical link, I think , Leeds in Yorkshire and Manchester is in Lancashire and it dates back to the War of The Roses of 1485, when Tudor Henry VII (a Lancastrian) won the war against King Richard III ( a Yorkist).

13 Likes

a real pity the crowds aren’t back, would have been a cracking atmosphere at the field with it being our first game as champs and the travelling leeds crowd for their first game back in the prem.

i think it might be similar to the Norwich game last season where they play some good stuff but are hopeless at the back. as someone has mentioned probably would be an easier game in a few months.

3-1 to the pool.

4 Likes

What’s the matter with it?

Looks better as PeachesEnRegalia, like it was on TIA!

Aye, fair dues. i’ll change it.

There is real hatred between them, Leeds still throw paper planes and sing about the Munich disaster.

1 Like