Pre Match Thread : Liverpool vs Leeds United 12/09/2020; 17:30 BST

Shaq does have a lot of problems for someone nicknamed “power cube”. Perhaps sometimes there’s a point where it’s too much muscle.

We’ll see if he’s even in our plans and what happens after October 5th if he’s still here (I think he’d be integrated in that case).

2 Likes

I’m wary of Adama Traore for this reason. They’re just not built like footballers.

1 Like

Last season we came out of the fucking blocks and stomped Norwich 4-0 in the first half (and then conceded one in the second half). To say that over the course of the first half of last season we picked up where we left off from 2018-19 is an understatement to say the least.

No excuses this time, I’m fully expecting the same performance again. Tougher opposition, but we are the league champions for the first time in my life.

We were shit after the restart. I’m hoping that Klopp has managed to light a fire under our player’s collective arses. They looked like they were on holidays during the run-in last season.

Here is where we start a new dynasty. In the decades to come we will look back on this season and say “We flew on to our perch in 19/20, but we cemented ourselves atop our perch in 2020/21”.

Make it happen boys.

10 Likes

If we lose this, I’m going to start a petition to get @GermanRed reinstated as the official match thread starter.

12 Likes

The game is huge for Leeds, but for us , we need to be ruthless and make an opening day statement just to get the blood pumping. Given that its at anfield, fans or no fans, we should still be beating these guys. Their biggest threat comes from their midfield , Pablo Hernandez , Philips and Klitch, and meanwhile Harrisson and Costa are good players , i watched their friendly against some Portuguese team, Costa was lively and scored as well so their wings and their midfield will be where the work rate and offensive power will be coming from. I do think at some point in the game, Rodrigo will come on so it would be great if we put the game away before Biesla can make subs.

Im hoping to see Minamino have a go , he should be rewarded for the good pre season he had. Im on the fence about starting Wijnaldum at the moment , mainly because he hasnt really shown anything during pre season. I do think Jurgen will play him , keita and Fabinho to start with, im just hoping to see Minamino come in and really show what he can contribute in the league and put our front 3 on their heels in notice.
Our footballers are 100 times more talented and more well coached , so there should be no excuses here. Go out and put them to the sword.

3 Likes

Just realised we’ll have the gold badge on our sleeves. That’s going to be a beautiful thing to see.

10 Likes

We will have to be on our toes… They do have a few Tom Daley’s…and they’ll be trying to make a name for themselves.

1 Like

Michael Oliver is the ref for this game.

5 Likes

If James Milner plays against Leeds on Saturday, he will have played in each of Leeds’ last 31 Premier League games. And against someone who turns 57 this month in one of them.

10 Likes

Smash them. They’re shit.

32 Likes

Now it feels like home

16 Likes

Tough start for us. Especially with no crowd. But any win will do.

2 Likes

A tricky opener but i think we’ll come through with a hard fought win.

2 Likes

Agree with the consensus here… considering it’s a home tie against a newly promoted club, I really do expect this one to be a scrap.

I’d happily take a 1-0 with a scrappy 94th minute goal bundled over the line off Bobby’s arse at this point.

3 Likes

I have vivid memories of watching from the press box at Elland Road as Mark Viduka scored 4 and we lost 4-3 with Paddy Berger suffering a bad injury for good measure. Houllier was very deflated in the post match presser more so about the injury than the result or his sides terrible defending on the day. This was O Leary’s “Babies” not too long before they spiraled out of control and out of the division into many years in the wilderness. The Leeds crowd were vicious that day and torrents of abuse and spit rained down on Berger and the medics as he was stretchered away.
This will be a tough game and Bielsa seems to be tactically astute so I expect them to cause us problems. Our midfield has worried me in pre-season, Fabinho in particular seemed way off the pace.
If the Skipper is fit (which I’d doubt) it would be a risk to start him given his lack of any match training so I can see him on the bench at best. I would start Naby, Gini and Jones in the middle, the rest of the side picks itself…I can see Jurgen going with Fabinho but he will be demanding more from the big man.
I think we nick it 2-1 and I fancy Bobby and Sadio to get the goals.

3 Likes

I just want to see those Mentality Monsters that refuse to lose a match right to the final whistle, Klopp whooping up and down the sideline, and us with our first points safely in the bag.

Oh, and Salah finally reigniting his Mojo.

In other words, I want us to scare the hell out of the rest of the PL.

1 Like

ha ha ! … brought a smile to my face too. :smile:

1 Like

I can remember even further back when Liverpool v Leeds was the fixture of the season. They were a great team in the seventies , never gave an inch. I’m glad to see they finally made it back into the big time , it’s where a club of that stature belongs.

(Have to agree about the fans though , nasty lot.)

Re: the match. They are gonna be pumped to fuck for this one. Less than 100% from our lads and we could be seeing an early slip up. I won’t be happy 'til I see our second go in.

Come on you Reds !

9 Likes

Very excited for the start of the season! Reigning England and World Champions, having already won the Champions League a year ago, it’s all about adding more to what we already know we are capable of!
Confidence must be sky high, thirst factor check, and something to play for at last, after a long time!

What I’m expecting to see is people trying to nullify our fullbacks’ threat, and Klopp having prepared for it with some tactical tweaking like for example the 4-2-3-1 that gives us an additional forward player, or creativity through midfield to make us less predictable than what the opposition expects.

I expect Minamino and Keita to be like new signings, Minamino from what he has shown in
pre-season, after having adjusted to everything in a new team, and Keita from the way he had ended the season (multiple MOTM player by a lot of people’s account), provided he can stay fit and be consistent.

If only we can add Thiago to that in the next few days/weeks, I think we’ll be set for a good season and should be able to compete - to attack the new season, as Klopp perfectly said it.
As for the new boy, Tsimikas, I hope the fellow fan who was warning against Greek players when the transfer was rumoured will be proved wrong. I think that it’s a transfer that will help a lot, as it will give Robbo some competition for starters, plus when we need to rest him in this intensive schedule, we hopefully won’t notice (or at least notice much less than what we did last season).

And, hopefully sooner rather than later we’ll be able to hear some Anfield noise as well!

Come on you Reds! YNWA

10 Likes

Fix your damn name, Peaches.

1 Like