PreMatch | Bournemouth - Liverpool | PL Matchday 27 Saturday March 11th 12:30h | Vitality Stadium

Well not really, people want to make a fuss about something that doesn’t exist, beating that Newcastle team regardless is something only we had done until last weekend.

We beat Leeds 6-0 and followed up with 4 wins before finally dropping points away in a draw to Man City. (We then beat Man Utd 4-0 the following week).

We did drop points after the 5-0 against Man Utd but that had a week earlier followed a 5-0 against Watford.

We had that one situation where we beat Palace 7-0 and went on a horrendous run but generally when we’ve won big it’s a mixed bag, Bournemouth may well cause an upset but it’s not some kind of habit of ours that means it will happen even recent history doesn’t particularly suggest it.

The bigger concern would probably be a 12.30pm kick off we’ve a habit of not waking up til about 2pm in these. 3 draws and 1 loss saying that this will be the first one that doesn’t come after a midweek European tie or international break.

I don’t like it when people start discussing goal difference before a match. It rarely goes well and is, frankly, disrespectful.

6 Likes

Does discussion on this forum influence the outcome of the match?
If so, I would still be opening match threads and we would be unbeaten in two years!

Seriously though, I got a bit of stick last year over goal difference, as some people thought it was irrelevant.
Thats the view. Mine is that in a professional sport you have to be ruthless. It might count in the end.

1 Like

The first time since for more than 10 games that I feel really confident in the team. I think the club will be able to use the Manchester win for a hefty moral boost. Our players once knew how to be fantastic football players and games such as the one aganst United, can really help us, maybe not get sustainable top form, but good form (which is all we need to fight for Top 4).
I am confident and think we will win. Not by a huge sum, but we will score enough. The dam has broken!
Onwards and now finally upwards!!

2 Likes

Not sure if you are referring to my post. My point is we’ve gained some kind of sub conscious idea that when we beat teams by a heavy score the next game we play crap.*

It’s not born out in the results to be honest. I think it will be a tight game personally this. Depends if we can get ahead and how early we do that if we do.

Early goal would probably knock them after last week but they have an early goal routine seen last week they’ve tried several times apparently. Worth taking the kick off probably.

*we might be turgid but that won’t be because of the Man Utd game.

The effect is called “regression toward the mean” - if you have a result that is extreme or an anomaly you would statistically expect the next result to be nearer to the norm. The fallacy is to see this as a huge drop or massive improvement over the freak result.

1 Like

From Dean Court to the Bernabeu in a few days…

What a contrast.

Not at all MH. I get your point, and I agree.
I just meant that when we start getting arrogant and complacent we end up with fans moaning after a 2-0 win etc.

4 Likes

Oh Jesus, i’d love to see that panic. It’s strange because it could very well be done. But it would require us to be at our best, and for RM to shit the bed when we score first.

The psychological game will be key. Score first and all minds will be on that Barca game, even if we are playing away.

Yep, I think this is the wrong thread for this. Bournemouth first!

3 Likes

Oh yeah, to be honest on Sunday when we went 2-0 up I wasn’t expecting anything more :joy:

Another solid 2-0 will do fine.

Needs acknowledgement.

:heart_eyes:

No one obvious seems to be missing, got to love Milner in shorts :joy:

Then again Nunez doesn’t seem phased. The lesser spotted Naby Keita seems to be there, I did think Carvalho was Thiago for a min.

1 Like

Lovely to read that David Brooks is close to retuning for Bournemouth having recovered from cancer. He hasn’t appeared for them since he was diagnosed in september '21.

13 Likes

Yeah said he got the all clear earlier this season. Of course will take some time for him to get back in shape hope the lad has a decent career from this moment on.

1 Like

David Brooks is a great kid ive known him since he had a short spell at Halifax im convinced he could have gone on to great things.

3 Likes

He’s genuinely at a good club I feel I do think if he can get back then he might still become a decent lower PL player.

He had an injury that set him back but you do wonder if the cancer was also there at that time in an early form.

1 Like
2 Likes

He scored a hattrick for me in the CL final on FM so I agree.

1 Like

One priority #4 coming up!

Not just the points but even if we go to 4th for a few hours, this will be a huge morale booster that despite the shitty season, CL is still very possible.

1 Like