Premier League 2020/21 (Part 1)

PFA Team of the Season.

Nick Pope (Burnley), Trent Alexander-Arnold, Virgil Van Dijk (both Liverpool), Caglar Soyuncu (Leicester), Andrew Robertson (Liverpool), David Silva (Manchester City), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City), Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Arsenal), Sadio Mane (Liverpool).

There is only one non Liverpool player in there that I’m taking over any of our lads. Put it this way, if you could somehow clone Trent, Virgil, Robbo, Hendo, and Mane so they can play in both teams, the reds comfortably beat them.

1 Like

1st - City
2nd - LFC
3rd - United
4th - Arsenal
5th Chelsea

Bottom 3 - WBA, Fulham and Palace.

1 Like

1 Liverpool
2 Man City
3 Chelsea
4 Wolves
5 Man Utd
6 Arsenal
7 Spurs
8 Southampton
9 Sheff Utd
10 Leicester
11 Everton
12 Burnley
13 Brighton
14 Newcastle
15 Leeds
16 Villa
17 Palace
18 West Ham
19 West Brom
20 Fulham

1 Like

1st Liverpool
2nd Whatever…
All the rest can have the scraps.

9 Likes

Just watched again a preview of MOTD…you would think we only scored a few goals last season… And it looks like Shitty and the Mancs were top of the Prem…No!! we won it so BBC come make things right…(only posted here cause I can’t find We Are the Champions)… and it really pee’s me off that Sky/BBC/BTTV can’t show us top of the league…(end of rant)!!!

2 Likes

Credit where it’s due.

It must’ve taken them quite some time to find any Manchester United goals that weren’t penalties for their montage.

7 Likes

Since we won the league Sky have only shown games we lost in while continuing to show old Premiership years so they can show United winning.

1 Like

Genuinely surprised by how easily so many people are getting drawn in to the Chelsea hype.

7 Likes

I can’t even remember David Silva playing that much, find that a really odd choice.

1 Like

I think more of a ‘nice career’ choice. He’s moved back to Spain to play, so league tried to send him out in style I guess.

1 Like

I remember Ryan Giggs winning player of the season, and he’d only played about 8 games or something.

2 Likes

I think that year (was it the one he actually retired?) it was tacitly understood that it was pretty much a lifetime achievement award by another name.

1 Like

Here’s the 538 top 10 on the eve of the new season…

Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 23.53.11

We shall see motherfuckers. We shall see.

6 Likes

What I find most odd is the team in 3rd…

Then again I’m happy to see us written off again.

4 Likes

A Monte Carlo simulation (albeit run by a citeh fan) used to predict the premier league positions:

3 Likes

Interesting point about home advantage in all that, I personally didn’t think it was much of an impact for us at home, Burnley aside which would have been won on another day I thought we were fine at home.

I do think certain clubs benefited from no crowds but not the ones I expected, Man City were perfect at home but shoddy on the road, Southampton were almost perfect which was odd.

I think going to a Sheffield United or Leeds early on before crowds return will be beneficial but Considering I don’t expect we will see more than 10k in a ground til after Christmas be nice to have a decent Kop we can play towards.

2 Likes
3 Likes

What is Waddle smoking?

Oddest thing for me is that the only team thats really improved is Chelsea. I don’t think the players an City have bought cover the failings of last season and with Aguero a year older they need to rely even more so on others like Jesus who though good is not in the same league.

9 Likes

Anyhow another one for the dressing room wall…

It’s almost like we fluked it last season and haven’t achieved 196 points over the last two seasons, the last point is just snide, maybe the other metric that can be taken is that the team that concedes less wins the title.

Some points fair enough but an City dropped off because they didn’t replace players they lost, Milner being a year older will not be the difference between us winning the title or losing, ironically Klopp has made a signing to cover any fall back we may have in that area as he was until our signing arrived our left back cover.

There are signings we probably still need to make but I’m in no doubt we were 6-7 games ahead of the rest of the league. As for the home thing, we had taken a 4-1 lead against Chelsea, ironically something similar happened against Roma in the CL a few seasons back, taking a 4-1 lead against Chelsea in a game that didn’t have anything riding on it bar pride and with the main distraction coming at full time is hardly a point to make on why we will struggle at home.

Maybe the Burnley game is the best example of the lot but that includes Pope displaying one of his best performances of his career, there was one save that was absolutely stunning that he had no right to get too. As for Villa we broke them down and scored 2 in the end, which we have to do on a weekly basis in the league.

No one is expecting a repeat of last season and I expect a much tighter league but I think we are in as good a position as last year to challenge for it and win it.

2 Likes