Premier League 2020/21 (Part 1)

I still don’t understand it correctly. Three hand balls yesterday -

Everton : Potential hand ball by Palace at 35:57. But game continues till 36:24 till a foul is made on palace player and the game stops. (Not sure what a play is defined as, but the game didn’t stop till this point, but the ball was cleared and there were series of passes till that foul). Ref now checks the screen and penalty is awarded. The arm was in natural position but any handball am presuming is a foul (am saying foul because for me it could mean by attacker or defender)

United: Final whistle is blown and ref checks the VAR after that to award a penalty. Brighton had headed the ball out after Maguire’s header but ref blew the whistle. This is still consistent with the above.

Chelsea: At 92:29 there’s a handball by Havertz inside the box. At 92:33 the goal is scored. The clearance was just inside the box, after Havertz attempt immediately. So either the entire team should just have stopped the play to have got the decision for them? That’s just not possible. The game didn’t stop for a new play to happen. What is defined as a new play? Why wasn’t then the final whistle for United game an end of play? The third scenario just isn’t consistent with the first two.

Either the rules are too complicated and I haven’t got it completely, or there’s just some loophole. Are the rules different for attackers and defenders? Would be happy to understand what am missing and how all three above are consistent AND right.

2 Likes

No; they’re only different for Manchester United.

3 Likes

Have you ever tried to pin diarrhea to the wall?

Reckon you’d have a better chance of that than understanding what happened yesterday.

3 Likes

For me, I don’t mind Everton doing OK. Much better to have them as a rival for the top positions as opposed to a cunty oil club such as Chelski or City.

10 Likes

Absolutely agree with this.

Came across this. This is ofcourse far fetched from the context, but every time I see this, I find it ridiculous how it’s that Gerrard slip considered a moment we lost the league. It has always been a lack of properly used VAR which has made multiple decisions gone against us.

2 Likes

…Still, how can it be neglected by the VAR…the handball obviously affected what subsequently happened next,
…it was all within a couple of seconds. If so, than it would be an arbitrary decision by the VAR
…somehow, I think it was done on purpose against WBA
And yes, I don’t like people like this, Fwank…always searching for excuses

1 Like

The rules are different for attackers and defenders.

If a defender handles it deliberately, new phases of play don’t come into it. Play can continue indefinitely until the VAR has reviewed it and notified the ref that he thinks an offence has been committed. It didn’t matter that the ref blew the final whistle in the United game because the offence occurred during normal playing time. There have been instances of teams being called back out on to the pitch so that a penalty can be taken after a VAR review. This has happened at least once in Germany.

If an attacker handles the ball deliberately then it’s a foul and a free kick, regardless of what happens next. If they handle it accidentally (like Havertz) then if a goal is scored directly afterwards it will not count. It was allowed to stand because West Brom kicked the ball to Mount. The goal didn’t come directly after the ball was handled. Had it dropped to Mount after Havertz had handled it and he’d put it in the net it would have been disallowed. Last season the rule was different but they changed it again just to confuse everyone.

I simply don’t think the Everton handball was a penalty. Ridiculous decision but then you had the dream team of Kevin Friend and Anthony Taylor on that one and handballs always look worse in slow motion.

Overall, I think the handball rule is now broken. Worked perfectly well for decades and they should have left it as it was.

4 Likes

Anyone have a stream for Leeds? My usual has disappeared.

Thanks, that explains it. Broadly it’s different then for attackers and defenders in the penalty box.

The disadvantage I presume will be for smaller teams who sit back and soak up the pressure. An unintentional handball by an attacker would be okay as long as the next phase of play happens, but for a defender it’ll be called a penalty.

Hesgoals…

1 Like

What a save from Leeds keeper.

Go Leeds !

Blades seem to be suffering massively from second season syndrome. Just not coming off for them to start the season. I hope Wilder keeps his head. He had a go at his players late last season and he can’t go to that tactic too often or they will completely tune him out.

1 Like

Amusing how nobody seems to know how to pronounce Koch.

Savage called him “Kotch”. BT commentator now calls him “Kock”.

:joy:

How does he miss that!! Glorious chance.

Leeds 1-0. Bamford

2 Likes

That was a beautifully worked buildup and perfect header from Bamford.

1 Like

Been a good game.
Think Ramsdale should do better…maybe try diving the same way as the ball is going.

Sheffield United has played well and its strange that they still are going to lose their first 3 games…the pressure is on.