Premier League 2021/22 (Part 1)

I mentioned it on the other site, but years ago I got the chance to chat with a guy who was quite senior in the Chinese regulatory authority for Medical Devices. Ostensibly the conversation was about coordination between them and the FDA and the role of Chinese manufacturing in the US market, but he was talking about the interference of the Central government on Chinese capital being used abroad. He said, after joking (maybe) checking if it was being recorded, that Xi’s willingness to interfere with ostensibly private capital made the Chinese unreliable partners for investment.

1 Like

Some detail on the Saints takeover on their offal;

Sports Republic are a london based investment company, founded Henrik Kraft (former Brentford co-director of football) ,and Rasmus Ankersen. Dragan Šolak is the Lead Investor of Sport Republic

1 Like

Not particularly worryingly to me sounds similar to FSG in a way.

It’s when you have the entire oil profits of a state to spend when it becomes an issue.

1 Like

I think you might be taking it a little too seriously mate. The reason we love him is because he is such a twat.

But in his defence ( and he does have contacts at the club , or at least says he does ) some of the points he makes are pertinent. Have you noticed any discernible difference between his (Rangnick’s) teams and Solskjaer’s ?

Between the team Goldbridge thinks will win games and play fantastic football or Rangnick ? Because if Goldbridge, it is easy, just play Van de Beek and voulla, magic according to Goldbridge.
As for Rangnick, he took over the club on the 2nd of December, which is not exactly so long ago and it would be very odd if he had made major systemic changes in this short of a time span, while it is at the same time very clear from his interviews that he is very unhappy about what his players are doing on the pitch. Perhaps he has a reason, like Solskjær, for not playing Van de Beek due to team composition. Just perhaps. Or perhaps Goldbridge who doesn’t follow training knows better.
In short, I don’t think Goldbridge has a point at all, I think he spews absolute unsubstantiated hyperbole and that he is irresponsible concerning how large a following he has on youtube; not that I will shed tears over that.

As for his sources in the club, they can’t be very intimate, since he so often claims completely inaccurate stuff as to who they will buy, sell, field on the pitch and so on. But yes, like you and me, Goldbridge too will be correct once in a while. But if you started analysing how often he is flat out wrong, I don’t think you would respect his football knowledge very highly (or that more highly than any other random semi knowledgeable fan). He is neither a coach, manager or someone who has studied football. He is absolutely not a professional analyst. There are many actual analysts around, they don’t have the glam-glam-bling-bling of Goldbridge and usually a lot lower follower account on twitter, but even so.

In any way, yes, sometimes I too find Goldbrige funny. Sometimes he is even probably correct. But far less often than he claims he is and his stature on Youtube has gone to his head, as he way too often claims things in a categorical manner. And claiming something categorically is dangerous, you need a lot of knowledge to do so. He is more a monitised performer/entertainer than a professional analyst and that’s my issue with him. His way of spewing categorical opinions about something he knows little about. His way of playing psychologist, thinking he knows what Rangnick and before him, Solkjær, is thinking. Because his crystal ball is really not that awesome. I guess it’s his pet project of playing psychologist and psychiatrist that I take most issue with. The rest is normal football banter and opinions.

1 Like

Problem is it’s all or nothing with the media and Man Utd, I think we’ve talked many times it needs time and years to turn it around but as soon as they win one game it’s a massive wankfest and “the best we’ve played in 5 years”.

4 Likes

Is there any indication when the 20 odd postponed games will be played?

I have on good authority that they might be decided on a 90minute online scissors, paper, stone contest. 11 players on each team will keep scissors, paper, stone with the other team over 90 minutes and the team who wins the most time, get 3 points.

Odds on Maguire screwing that up?

Cant even sell his house poor chap.

Surely they will play Phil Jones :wink:

1 Like

Is Jones a rock paper scissors demon?

I suppose he could put you off your stride if he pulled a sex face right in front of you.

1 Like

He strikes me as a ‘Nothing beats Rock’ kind of guy.

Happy Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

Three are being played next week from week 18 of the season so that’s three.

Rumors swirl of common paternity.

Is it any surprise that Pep inhaled something?

1 Like

They had an interview with a Burney staff member (didn’t catch who it was) on Radio 4 this morning.

60% of their squad have had been vaccinated. They are working hard to improve this, but it’s ultimately a ‘personal choice’.

Well in, lads. Well in. I’m sure Dyche is currently working out if there is a way to shithouse this on the pitch. Right Ashley, get ready to go on. I want you running channels, putting yourself about and coughing on their lads.

2 Likes

As badly as I think we’ve handled the Covid situation in terms of putting in rules to cover postponements, we’re doing way better than Serie A. They are having games cancelled as a result of local health authorities preventing teams showing up, but even when this happens the league makes the other team still go through the motions of showing up. It’s a total farce.

3 Likes

Apparently they’ve stepped in and stopped this haven’t they, I’m sure that’s what he said on the Milan game last night.

1 Like

I think the absurdity of the Inter game this week is what has finally forced the league’s hand, but still havent seen how they’re going to manage it.

2 Likes

According to This is Anfield the Leeds game could be played during the ‘winter break’ :roll_eyes: