Premier League 2021/22 (Part 1)

If that did end up being the case I would hope we show them the same contempt they showed us when we thrashed them to the title.

1 Like

We actually have a bit of class though.

1 Like

You can start now @SYBM haha

1 Like

3 Likes

Imagine the fume if that was Klopp!

2 Likes

Palace last game was on Friday and their next game is against us on Sunday.

We played today and have Arsenal on thursday.

We’ve won the last 10 games (the first of that was a preseason game) against Palace but that run could come to an end next week.

Klopp on the title: “If you are with us, you will enjoy the ride and we will go for everything. We try to do our part, the rest we have nothing to do with it.”

4 Likes

I actually think we’re better playing two games a week. Whenever we have a break, such as recently, we lose sharpness. Look at the Arsenal game last Thursday, it was a very lethargic performance after a decent break.

7 Likes

I think this is because we expressly train to the goal of achieving that rhythm. I remember in 2016-17, when we were not playing in Europe, the management team actually staged full games between two halves of the squad in midweek, so as to simulate the strains of playing twice a week.

2 Likes

That’s been a familiar problem ever since Klopp took over. I don’t really understand why it happens (I know it is supposed to be because of rhythm - but Klopp and the coaches seem to be able to solve any problem but this) or why it seems to be only us that really suffer from it.

1 Like

There was a big difference in Fabinho’s performance today compared to the Arsenal game, in which he looked like he was wading waste deep through mud. Today he was much sharper and was probably man of the match. He’s one player who never seems to benefit from a lengthy lay off.

4 Likes

I posted an absolute pearler in the Ralf thread…some dude basically laying out very nicely why they are fucked. Long may it continue.

2 Likes

I caught Ornstein on television yesterday speaking about the current ‘match postponement’ hot button.

For everyone that scoffed or didn’t believe clubs were gaming the system, it’s even a bit more sinister than I even thought.

The league moved away from league mandated (and represented) testing and to lateral flow test to be administered by the club, not the league. As a result it created a pathway for clubs to manipulate those results and use them to their advantage. Further disappointing, Ornstein saying the league is aware of what’s happening but isn’t quite sure how to rectify it. They’re holding continuous meetings with club representatives, however any new guidelines wouldn’t likely be in place this season, so the loose policy now is likely what we will have through season’s end.

They’ll have to draw a line in the sand sooner or later, clubs can’t keep kicking the can down the road, if you like, there has to be a hard end date to have all of the fixtures played.

TL;DR

It’s been recognized clubs are likely manipulating lateral flow test results but the league isn’t sure how to get it righted at this point.

2 Likes

Those ‘clubs’ definitely including citeh. Even the pep-tic ulser Guardiola has said ‘we win because of money and now we win because of Covid’.

Did he say this? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Seriously, there hasn’t been anything like normal service PL football since the 18/19 season. And to think next year will be disrupted by the World Cup. Means no potential for a complete, normally-served PL season until 23/24.

1 Like

Jürgen Klopp has now beaten all 30 teams he’s faced in the Premier League at least once.

5 Likes

Yes - albeit with his usual sad sack sarcasm. He must be a real joy to be around:

From article:

Pep Guardiola has dismissed claims by Thomas Tuchel and Virgil van Dijk that are the Premier League’s runaway leaders because they have suffered less from Covid.

In an apparent sign that Guardiola does not believe City get the recognition they deserve, he noted how at other times money has been cited to explain his team’s success.

“If they believe it’s the reason why then maybe,” he said. “Sometimes it’s the money that we have, sometimes it’s Covid. I don’t know.

1 Like

But as demonstrated by agreeing to Arsenal’s request, such fuckery isnt even needed. Arsenal got their request accepted with just a single Covid related absence. The approach I advocated for several weeks ago had league administered tests as a central pillar, but that level of oversight isn’t needed if the postponements are going to be given for non-covid related issues. The Arsenal one is ridiculous. They are only missing about 8 players. If that leaves with them with too few players to put a squad together, then that is on them for starting the season with too small a squad.

5 Likes

And they’ve loaned two out :confused:

They had a month to do that and considering top leagues are off two weeks after next weekend it doesn’t make a massive amount of sense.

1 Like