Premier League 2021/22 (Part 1)

Mad to think Fabio Silva is the forgotten mad at Wolves considering how much they paid for him.

Was he that young lad they kept bringing on to hope he would change the game just for him to trip over the ball a few times?

I don’t think Leeds had any choice. Bielsa just doesn’t turn things around. Even all the way back at Newell’s Old Boys, once his side hit the back side of the hill, it was only going to end with his departure. Leeds needs a few scrappy draws against the teams around them, a couple of ugly wins, and they probably survive - especially if they see a couple of players available in March. But Bielsa just wasn’t going to do scrappy/ugly.

2 Likes

No I agree, they needed a change any change even a managerial bounce might save them if they were to get it. They’ve got Leicester next week it’s a big one considering the two teams form.

1 Like

I loathe Leeds, took years for me to dislike ManU as much as I dislike them. But I don’t want them to be relegated unless we get to do it to them.

2 Likes

Hell of a strike by Rice. Smashes the post from 30 yards.

I didn’t like them when he was there. I can’t understand the hype around Bielsa.

1 Like

Yeah, he did some eye catching things with Bilbao, but the way he is talked about, along with Rangnick seems way over the top.

1 Like

I think he has usually made a positive impact on most of the teams he has coached hasn’t he? The problem is that it is usually unsustainable over a longer period and he appears to lack flexibility. Leeds really needed to upgrade their squad last summer, which they didn’t really do. His side then got hit by injuries to key players.

Bielsa also has influenced the ideas and tactics of a lot of current managers. He is crazy and eccentric which means the press love him, and his inflexibility can only be described as Quixotic… again adding romance. Has never, and really will never, be able to stay anywhere long.

Since Leeds just hired an American, I’m now obligated to root for them to scrape out survival…

2 Likes
1 Like

Ted Lasso?

1 Like

I thought that was Adama Traore?

Hating Leeds go way beyond national pride. Bielsa was the only thing likeable about them

2 Likes

And Milner?

I lack the understanding of a lot of that history which probably allows me to give them more slack than they actually deserve.

2 Likes

Jessie Marsh is actually a pretty good up and coming coach - managed Haaland and Taki in Salzburg before flopping at Leipzig.

Like Pulisic at Chelsea wish he was going somewhere it’d be easier to root for him, but happy to see American soccer (football??) talent maturing to the point it belongs at the highest levels.

1 Like

Watch a film called The Damned United.
It’s one of the best football films ever.

4 Likes

Takumi for Raphinha incoming :thinking:

It’s a chapter of football well worth digging into. During Shankly’s time in charge, a time now thought of as our rise to prominence, Leeds came out of no where and established themselves as our biggest challenges for a 10 year period. They only won 2 titles in that 10 year period (same as us), but were arguably the most consistent team at the top of the table over a 10 year period. It could be the fact that they were beaten to the title so many times in that period that gave them such a chip on the shoulder, but whatever it was they were almost universally hated for the ugly way they went about trying to win, both (aesthetically and ethically).

It culminated in Brian Clough being appointed to take over from their iconic manager, who had been given the England job in 74 (after Ramsay’s side failed to qualify for the world cup). No one hated Leeds more than Clough himself did and went there with a vision of transforming them into a team he could be proud of, famously telling them their medals counted for nothing because they won them by cheating, and it all went horribly wrong. Clough was fired after 2 months and they never righted the ship afterwards.

https://www.amazon.com/Damned-United-Michael-Sheen/dp/B0030T8ZN2

This match is famous for the fight between Keegan and Bremner, but my favourite moment is the Iron taking out Alan Clarke within about 60 seconds of the kick off just to tell them their shit wont be tolerated.

4 Likes

VAR sucked in those days.

1 Like