Premier League 2022/23 (Part 1)

Perhaps Parker was the problem.

1 Like

That would be stupid. Heā€™d be delusional to do that.

But he could go to the moniter and THEN say he will stick to the original decision after looking at it.

2 Likes

The issue is the psychology. They are only brought to the VAR if it shows them something different than they think they saw. Itā€™s very difficult to see a different sequence of events on the screen than you saw in your head in making the original decision and feel your original decision was still correct.

the ref would be wrong to decline to see the monitor because again remember why heā€™s being asked to do it. Itā€™s not because the VAR is simply disagreeing with the decision, its because it is telling him that the images will show him something factually different than he thought he saw.

1 Like

Well that is some serious fight back from them for a club that lost last week 9-0, you could assume it would just end up a walkover.

1 Like

I think he meant Andy :wink:

Tonyā€™s goals today :heart_eyes:

Second is a beautiful combination of brute strength and technique, but that third is calm brilliance

1 Like

But I donā€™t think I have yet to see a ref stick to his or her guns even after VAR has said ā€˜look at the monitorā€™. As you say, itā€™s the psychology of it. I think the ref on the pitch simply doesnā€™t want the hassle of upsetting one of his mates in the PGMOL.

Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s much point watching the Villa game, we all know the outcome.

With how VAR is used you shouldnā€™t expect to refs to retain their decision very often after watching the replays. By definition they only are brought to the screen when their view of the incident was factually incorrect. The psychology of it though does mean that the rare incidents where the ref somehow got it ā€œrightā€ despite seeing the incident incorrectly they are still unlikely to sustain their original decision. I think those are very rare though. Unfortunately I think that happened today and unfairly won chelsea 2 points they shouldnt have got.

1 Like

Kavanagh gave a pen when TAA in the same movement barely lifted his head, and DCL ran into him. Marriner sent Kavanagh to the monitor to check if Trent shouldā€™ve been red carded. He barely looked at it and said no red.

So there have been incidents where they donā€™t change their mind (that pen was stupid though - it was all one movement from Trent).

Ha it still infuriates me. If someone is trying to hurdle you apparently you must elect to stay on the ground and take yourself out of the game. Although it does bput some of his cover defending recently into perspective, as if heā€™s constantly concerned that if he runs back to goal DCL is going to running up behind him and clatter into him to win another pen.

Villa winning 6-0?

1 Like

One minute played and Haaland hasnā€™t scored.

What a waste of money.

1 Like

He also created their winner - chased down a defender in the last minute and harryed him into a mistake that allowed him to roll the ball across goal for an almost certain goal.

Absolutely wild VAR decision in the newcastle gameā€¦The Palace keeper came for a cross and missed it causing it to go in off the defender at the back post. The was disallowed after a VAR review for the ref determining the keeper missed it only because Willock clattered into him. But on the VAR it was also clear that he got shoved into the keeper by the Palace defender who ultimately put it in his own net. Really really harsh on Newcastle, but fuck them.

Also, please take the time to find the hash Che Adams makes of equalizing against Wolves. Itā€™s literally an open goal with the ball popping up to him to head in unopposed from about 2 yards out. He completely miss times his jump and heads the ball against his own arm and so its disallowed for hand ball :joy:

1 Like

Donā€™t wanna jinx it but Villa have done pretty fucking alright this half.

Americas Got Talent No GIF by Got Talent Global

Villa have survived the first half. Crap game though, makes our game today look like a classic.

Well played Villa, city with no attempt on target yet.

Another knock on Stevie is that on paper when I look at this side it feels like it should be solidly mid table. In Watkins and Ings they have 2 goal scorers that most lower table sides would kill for.

2 Likes

1-0 City