Premier League 2023/24 (Part 1)

Solanke has had a much improved season.

Heā€™s looked quality. He was good for them last season for patches, too.

Heā€™s a dangerous player in the right setup. Very strong, hard for defenders to muscle off of the ball, and he knows how to score. Wouldnā€™t surprise me to see him end up at the likes of Villa/Spurs or even Arsenal next season.

2 Likes

He was very talented in youth football, but doesnt do any single thing really well and, critically, doesnt have great pace. There is room at the top level for forwards like this, but it tends to take them a little while to get thereā€¦to put all the pieces of their game together in a way that works against defenders who are that good. Dom was more or less there last season, but now people are noticing more because his goals are forcing attention.

2 Likes

A CF can lack pace if they have plenty of power and good ball control. Iā€™d say Dom has both of those, and heā€™s understanding the game better now at the top level.

5 games in 15 days. Good draw for the FA Cup was important.

• Full strength against Bournemouth

• minimal rotation against Fulham unless we have a very good result in the first leg

• ā€˜bigā€™ rotation in the FA Cup

• full strength against Chelsea

• minimal rotation against Arsenal

Hoping to be lucky with injuries. Need anyone whoā€™s available. Can see Kelleher, Bradley, Clark and even Thiago being involved.

Would be great if Robbo can be on bench for the FA Cup at the latest.

Robbo due back in early Feb

Once Robbo can play I expect he will considering heā€™s done all the fitness stuff for a few weeks now.

Fitness wise he should be there by now. Match fitness is a whole different thing of course.

Doing light stuff with the ball too already.

I want to believe that he is at a stage of his recovery where things can go very fast suddenly.

Would be ideal to have both Endo and Salah back for the Arsenal match.

Regardless of anything else, itā€™s important that we grab maximum points in the league while Salah is away. If for nothing else than the psychological advantage it gives us. City will be expecting us to drop points while weā€™re without our best player, if we take maximum points including an away match against Arsenal, in amongst all the cup matches, itā€™ll affect them.

We wanna be top of the league with a cushion heading into March if we can, especially with the home game against City coming on March 9th. After Arsenal away, our PL slate looks like this:

Burnley (H)
Brentford (A)
Luton (H)
Forest (A)
City (H)

Thereā€™s no reason at all we canā€™t get maximum points in the lead up to the City match. Weā€™re rounding into form and players should start getting back to fitness soon. Remember - City will have FA cup games and the CL starts well before our EL games start. Thereā€™s every chance for them to drop a few points before they come to Anfield. Thatā€™s our chance to kick the shit out of them and cement our place at the top of the table for the rest of the season. You give us a 6 or 8 point lead at the top with 10 left to play, and I reckon we go on to win it.

2 Likes

Egypt and Japan are among the favorites in the competitions so donā€™t expect them back before Brentford

Iā€™d take 7 points from Bournemouth, Chelsea and Arsenal. No new injuries would be a great bonus.

Iā€™m the last person to say ā€˜one game at a timeā€™ but strange things can happen after a long break (Bournemouth). Chelsea are shit but itā€™s still a big match where anything can happen and beating Arsenal recently doesnā€™t mean shit for the league match.

Why? It seems eminently sensible.

3 Likes

One pot noodle at a time, you plonkers.

2 Likes

Shame, would rather see WHU continue to do well. Would love to see them stay ahead of the likes of Chelsea, United, and Newcastle, as well as hopefully catch Spurs.

2 Likes

Mad that Pacqueta played any part in that game given his struggles to get through recent league games. Managers always have more information than we have, but I cannot imagine what Moyesā€™ justification was for that

1 Like

He must have put a fair whack of money on himself for various fixturesā€¦

1 Like

Just as the barcodes face Cheaty ā€¦

If they can get Hendo registered in the next hour or so I believe heā€™d be able to feature, Hendo to come off the bench and score the winner is my guess!!

Hendo is part of the sport-washing machine now - wouldnā€™t surprise me, but doubt it happens. He would certainly burn any remaining bridges he has, being a Mackem and playing for the Toon.

3 Likes