Racism and all the bad -isms

think season 2 GIF by Portlandia

I dont get the reaction. What is difficult to understand about the point being made? It’s just an extension of the point being made on here before the weekend - the fact the cops were black doesnt invalidate the idea that these outcomes are due to systemic racism, but reinforces how strong the effect is. When people from marginalized groups achieve a position of authority, the easiest way to show they belong is to work hard to reinforce the inequities in the system. What she is saying is dont just give us brown people and expect us to be happy if they’re just going to sustain the status quo

2 Likes

full video releases from the Memphis PD

I’m sure @Klopptimist will read this, appreciate the point, and adapt his worldview accordingly.

5 black officers beat a black guy to death and it’s because of white supremacy? OK.

I watched three of the four videos. fourth one is obscured for most of it.

He was fighting them right out of his car, resisted arrest, fought himself loose from THREE fully grown men and then was taken down a few blocks later and beaten with fists and a baton. Pepper sprayed on multiple occasions.

it’s a tragedy he died, nobody deserves it. that situation to me, looked like a “fuck around, find out” that went very badly for him.

The point is that a black guy was beaten to death by the police. Again.

The colour of the perpetrators skin is irrelevant when those perpetrators are adopting the values of an institutionally racist police force.

Like how the Tory party’s immigration policy is racist, despite the woman in charge of it being a woman of colour herself.

Or they are just natural born assholes who can not controle their temper …

1 Like

so 7 of 8 officers (at one point) between the two scenes being black, beating another black man to death is because the police force is racist? Did anyone happen to notice that the first three cars were all unmarked cars from their gang force? Did anyone happen to notice that not one of those officers tried to reset it at some point, or the entire time the victim was fighting them until they basically beat him into submission?

those who are in positions of authority, do not like their position challenged

this fella did not listen to the attending officers at the traffic stop, he did not follow their instructions to lay face down on the ground. he fought them, he shook free, he ran a few blocks away where he was caught again and apprehended with force.

Was it heavy-handed? Yes, they matched his reactions with force. That young man had a lot of fight in them, those cops were winded and wheezing like old men. A few of them ate their own pepper spray too.

The only ones who actually took care to check on the victim were the paramedics who arrived 25-30mins after the second attempt to arrest, after he’d been laying against the car for 10-15mins bleeding.

it’s an ugly situation, after the George Floyd incident the officers are no longer allowed to use their body weight in a “pinning” fashion to subdue and restrain. they’re not allowed to use choke holds. So a fight breaks out when a subject is resisting arrest.

1 Like

NO! The point is that the woman in the video is blaming this on white supremacy which is demonstrable nonsense.

Not even the normal apologists are leaning on the “he should have complied” with this case. You are way way out there in your take.

What you see as him fucking around and finding out was the quick realization that even after complying to unnecessarily confrontational and aggressive actions of the cops he was still getting physically abused and that if he didn’t get away he was likely to die in their custody. Over a traffic stop (that have no evidence was for just cause).

1 Like

Demonstrate it then.

1 Like

Nothing about this or similar incidents is normal or should be normal in a supposedly civilised country.

2 Likes

you watch the released bodycam videos I posted? at what point did he stop struggling and comply?

Name the time on video #1 please, at which he stopped struggling with the officers when you clearly hear them say “lay down on your stomach”

here’s the link…let me know what you find

1 Like

Bro…

1 Like

at the point of the earliest bodycam released, two cars are already blocking him in and the third car is coming on scene. mace was deployed at some point, because the driver of the car parked on drivers side is struggling and rinses his eyes. all three cars are unmarked, their sweaters show they’re in the organized crime division.

it sucks, nobody wants this shit to happen. But you can see how quickly this kind of situation can escalate. I am fascinated that this skinny kid is able to fight his way away from three big men.

I think I’m in the twilight zone here. Black officers beat a black man, the person in the video blames white supremacy and you actually want me to prove she’s wrong? Fuck me the world’s gone mad and you’re usually one of the more sane posters.

1 Like

I kinda get what she is trying to say. In short, she is lamenting that it’s pointless to put in officers of color in power just as a show of statistics when the underlying problem in the wider organization is not effectively dealt with. So from her point of view, she feels that people want to brush this under the carpet simply because the officers are black and not white. From her point of view, she is not wrong to point out there could be a big issue with institutional racism and people should not be quick to dismiss the problem just because it only involves black officers.

However I csn also see the view of people like Klopptimist. While we can acknowledge that there is institutional racism, we cannot just simply label every single incident involving black victims as racism without looking at each case for its own merits or demerits.

Now I don’t know much about this case but I guess that while we can agree that institutional racism is a real problem, we cannot simply, for every individual case involving a black victim, to immediately label it as such, as some might be quick to do, just because it’s the police vs a black person.

ADD: BTW it’s always possible for unfair discrimination or profiling to take place even when both offender and victims are the same color. We see it often in societies everywhere. So it might not be white supremacy but some other form of discrimination. Not saying this is the case here, but balancing both ends of spectrum.

3 Likes

I expect someone who disagrees and wants to be taken seriously to engage with the points made and not just reflexively reject something that disagrees with their world view.

2 Likes

But he was born with those views so he doesn’t need to discuss them.