Racism and all the bad -isms

We had a little local campaign in the pub/club community here, No Kölsch for Nazis. Still wondering how big of a market share I lost there.

2 Likes

one of my former managers ended up as an executive in the transportation div of Molson Coors. He left them, because they wanted him to move to Milwaukee/Denver/Chicago and he didn’t want to uproot his family. it costs them $0.06 to make a can of Coors Light… Now he’s working for Vega (subsidiary of Danone) and it sounds like he’s pretty happy there. Much better culture.

2 Likes

Pun intended? :thinking:

4 Likes

bahahahahahahaha I see someone has their cap on today. well done.

3 Likes

For the love of God! Will nobody think of the men?!?

1 Like

FIFY :+1::nerd_face:

I’ve got to be honest here. I’m having trouble sorting ‘real’ articles from parody/spoof ones?
I really thought that the Ann Widdicombe cheese sandwich one the other day was a spoof one.
I thought that nobody could be that tone deaf? Yet there she is. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

i was going to post something witty (by my standards) about @Semmy co worker and wanting a few more photos, but i think his point deserves more respect than that…

it must be so demoralising that for every step that women take towards true equality (not some faux, think tank, buearacratic group that secures funds for design of a ‘women friendly screwdriver’ or something) like smashing a corporate glass ceiling, filling wembley stadium for a womens game of football, securing funding for a crisis centre or many other meaningful results, that for every women/girl that does that, 10 others are spatuling the plastic on and taking a photo of themselves in a bikini and posting to millions of strangers for a ‘like’

i dont know where the line between a women taking control of her sexuality, and making herself look like a peice of meat for sale is…but most of that insta stuff crosses it.

1 Like

They should if they’re running multi million / billion £ company. It’s the equivalent of FSG telling Liverpool fans to fuck off.

and that’s the key here. Women have forever battled for a balance between their own self-image, how they are viewed by society and their career path. My wife is in an industry dominated by “old, white and right” men as her clients and it can be a real challenge for her sometimes.

2 Likes

Snowflake :joy:

Was the controversy more because it was the face of a transgender influencer they put on the front of the can :man_shrugging:

Behind the Backlash Against Bud Light’s Transgender Influencer - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

1 Like

Yeah no.

Yes, the tik tok star was transgender.

1 Like

I think you’re confusing the actions of a few individuals with the whole here, don’t you think?

It’s like saying all conservatives are mindless Trump-worshippers, or all Ukrainians are fascist.

Which ironically makes it very on-topic for this thread. Part of the issue with stereotypes is that they often lean into confirmation bias, so you end up thinking the stereotype is a lot truer than it actually is.

I think both sides of the argument can be true. And if people who make advertisement consciously stop perpetuating female stereotypes and more females refusing to do such ads, then it will definitely be more effective than just asking the ‘other side’ to change first.

I think the classic example is music. For too long, music videos have always been lambasted for objectifying women as just for sex, as only there to please men, scantily clad etc… And that is one side and then you also wonder on the other side, why do superstars like Beyonce, Lopez, Rihanna continue to agree to making similar videos in those veins?

I can get the argument that it’s arts, creative and entertainment and if the society can leave it at that, then fine but if society thinks that needs to go, then it will take more than the effort of just one end of spectrum.

2 Likes

That classic example also presumes that women don’t want to feel sexy.

It’s almost victim-blaming here. Just to change the stereotype of them, they have to suppress one part of their personalities?

Stating that famous people with influence being able to do something to change things is not victim blaming. Feeling sexy is different from hypersexualization of music. Charlotte Church has talked about her time when she was always pressured to wear provocatively and to “get her breasts out” and that it still affected her. In terms of popularity, maybe Church would have felt that she is no position to refuse that if she wanted to continue in the industry but musicians like Rihanna have more than enough talent and influence to say no to ridiculous requests like what Church and young female musicians would have faced.

1 Like

That’s my entire point.

It’s ridiculous to say that Rihanna’s to blame for the problem of the pressure of hypersexualisation of music, just because she chooses that aesthetic personally.

It’s so easy to point the finger at them, and ignore the fact that the hypersexualisation and the pressures come about because that’s what sells, or that’s what sells in the minds of the people with the power to direct the marketing and control the artistes.

If you want change, perhaps start with the predatory nature of the industry and the people involved in running and shaping it that results in the ills that you decry. Putting that onus on individual artistes who had to go through that, and finally have enough power to reclaim their images for themselves, is victim-blaming in the “model minority” sense.

1 Like

How do you change the predatory nature of the industry, if the most famous and influential elements of the industry do not even bother to refuse that predatory nature? Rihanna is just one of them. And if naming Rihanna is offensive to you, then how about famous male singers? Did famous male singers ever stood up to say anything? The point is influential artistes hardly bother about these stereotypes and sexualization of women…because money is there to be earned so why would these famous and rich musicians bother? But because they do not bother, young artistes like Charlotte Church who simply had not that much influence in her younger days, simple felt trapped.

But anyway I had already understood your usual line of reasoning, so I state my point, you state yours, its fine if you continue to think what you think. But I will continue stating that these famous musicians have done nothing at all to exactly change the predatory nature of the industry.