Racism and all the bad -isms

Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

shocking

The official legal position of the Madrid courts appears to be that racism is wrong, but at a football game its all just batnz.

Health and Safetyism

1 Like

I lived most of my adult life in Scotland. They have loads of non-bouncy castles which I’m sure have never caused health and safety issues…

Reading between the lines, this isn’t an H&S issue. They say that they don’t have the resources (staff and cash) to carry out the assessments. This is a finance issue and they have picked on something that makes it look like an attack on fun.

Someone needs to design a Bouncy House then… gets around the issue :0)

It never, ever is.

3 Likes

Partial ground closure for Valencia due to racism against Vicnius Junior last Sunday.
Kudos to La Liga for the decision.

Over to the PL to eradicate such behaviours

3 Likes

I see it every game. an opposition player heads to the sideline for a throw-in and a tirade of abuse and gestures are directed to the player. I don’t understand it, I don’t condone it and I don’t understand why the player put up with it. throwing of objects, etc.

Good for Vini for standing up for himself. Balotelli lost his shit in a Lazio match a few years ago for the same thing. Mario Balotelli Barwuah 🇬🇭+🇮🇹=⚽️ on Instagram: "Grazie a tutti i colleghi in campo e non per la solidarietà avuta nei miei confronti e a tutti i messaggi ricevuti da voi tifosi.. grazie di cuore.Avete dimostrato di essere veri uomini non come chi nega l’evidenza . #notoracism✊🏾✊🏾 #forzabrescia⚪️🔵🦁 #testaallaprossimapartita #noinonciarrendiamo"

Scotland, three weeks ago

Scotland, two months ago

Italy, two months ago

4 Likes

I’ll put this here rather than the cycling thread.

1 Like

Rightly so.

I noticed this story suggesting Steinbeck’s Of Mice And Men should be taken off the syllabus as it uses racial slurs:

I’m actually curious as to who is behind this one as it is a favourite target of fundamentalist Christian groups to target.

One 16 year old apparently.

It should make her uncomfortable, but then it should make everyone uncomfortable. That is really the only value in using books that have overly racist elements to them. It’s been a long time since I read it, but my recollection is that its take on racism is similar to that of Harper Lee in To Kill a Mockingbird - it is an honest portrayal of what characters would have been like, or at least it attempts to be. It is also loaded in every type of prejudice as well - women, intellectual capacity, age. This makes it a gold mine for evaluation. The author is clearly trying to raise themselves above the prejudice of their characters, but what would a modern reader identify as Steinbeck’s blind spots? What prejudice of his own did he display in trying to depict the prejudice of the time he was writing about?

You can understand a student being dissatisfied with an inadequate treatment of these issues from the teacher, or maybe an unpleasant response from the other students to these issues, and that would be worthy of complaint. I think it’s reasonable to question the value of these so called classics and periodically reevaluate if they justify continuing to be held up as these things worth reading. But rejecting it because its subject material is unpleasant does not fly.

6 Likes

I remember GCSE English. The other class got to do Of Mice and Men, and we had to do Jane fucking Eyre. :unamused:

louder for the people in the back. my immediate response that I deleted after typing was… "what next, cancel Atticus Finch and Tom Robinson?

I am not looking forward to showing my son movies like Mississippi Burning or A Time To Kill when he gets to the appropriate age…Not because of the language and gratuitous violence, but because we’re only one or two generations removed from racial atrocities like those protrayed in the movie. And in some places in the world, racial-motivated hate crimes are still alive and well (right, Russia?)

I’m not touching religion, that’s a whole different kettle of fish that I dare not get involved in.

1 Like

Is it not better for this or the next generation to know that this still happens(cos it does),that it’s not something that used to happen in history, and that it’s their job(so to speak) to make sure this doesn’t happen again.And at some point in the future they can then say for sure that this no longer happens and that it is resigned to the history books.

But look at the positives, we are removed from them and (mostly) they don’t happen now in civilised society.

Men have no place in women’s sport.

https://twitter.com/KonstantinKisin/status/1662390264005120001

Said every sane person since this nonsense started.

2 Likes